• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-26]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Where's the Flake?! And/or the kitten?!
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:

The chair killed them.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Well, one thing's for sure: the best comic won. Perhaps it was the incredible timing in relations to last week's column. Maybe it was the use of actual comic-style font. Or it could've been it was just too damn funny. Congrats to the victor.

Oh, and because it did pop into my head, I have to wonder if Zac ever taught an English class in Japan before. Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:

I was posting so many comics that I had to shorten the standard column somehow. Flake is the first thing to go.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
The chair killed them.

NOOOOoooo....

Anyway, the best entry did indeed win. See Jow Mello's post for why.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:
Anyway, the best entry did indeed win. See Jow Mello's post for why.

I was with it until the punch line, then it was just like...what? People do realize that traditionally comics end with a punch line, right? A funny punchline? I didn't understand why half of the entries were supposed to be funny.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Licensing and releasing the live-action Sailor Moon and Utena musicals is like asking to lose money. Sure, people on the internet like to talk about how "they have friends who would buy it!" but I'd say maybe one out of every 10 people who claims they're going to buy something if it gets licensed actually do buy it once it comes out. Given that you're talking about incredibly hokey and silly live-action versions of two shojo shows that are way, way past their prime, I'd say basically nobody would buy these. Which makes it a waste of time for someone to license them.

i don't know... it could sell on the novelty value alone, you just have to advertise it right. of course it's gonna fail if you try to reach the hardcore fans, but if the sales pitch is really tongue-in-cheek, a lot of people, maybe even non-otakus will buy it.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
I was with it until the punch line, then it was just like...what? People do realize that traditionally comics end with a punch line, right? A funny punchline? I didn't understand why half of the entries were supposed to be funny.

Admittedly, the punchline was pretty weak. But I think the rest made up for it, and the other entries just didn't do it for me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:

Admittedly, the punchline was pretty weak. But I think the rest made up for it, and the other entries just didn't do it for me.

I posted the runners-up because they made me laugh and were just strange and nonsequitur enough to stem the tide of terrible entries I got. Honestly, a lot of the runners-up were right up my alley, in terms of my sense of humor. The Burger King one made me spit water. I'm not sure why, but I think it's the sheer amount of effort put into making something ridiculous.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly as the case may be), the whole Sailor Moon trend is basically dead. Today's anime fans don't really care about it anymore; it's just too old and has been out of the spotlight for too long. This is the same reason I don't get questions about when Sailor Moon Sailor Stars is going to get licensed - nobody really cares anymore (or they've given up hope).

I wouldn't say no one cares. I just think the series hasn't had a chance to reach it's true potential success here, partly because of Toei's greed, and partly because of sexist programming decisions from American male tv executives who refuse to acknowledge a female audience for children's entertainment.

Quote:
Licensing and releasing the live-action Sailor Moon and Utena musicals is like asking to lose money. Sure, people on the internet like to talk about how "they have friends who would buy it!" but I'd say maybe one out of every 10 people who claims they're going to buy something if it gets licensed actually do buy it once it comes out. Given that you're talking about incredibly hokey and silly live-action versions of two shojo shows that are way, way past their prime, I'd say basically nobody would buy these. Which makes it a waste of time for someone to license them.

If the downloads of that live-action show are any indication, I could imagine Sailor Moon musicals doing at least being profitable. But the music rights must be a real pain.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
column

I wonder, how many "Habeeb it! Twinkie house!!" entries did you receive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:42 am Reply with quote
The sailor moon musicals same with the Live action utena are terrible really really terrible. It doesnt suprise me they have snowballs chance in hell of coming over here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I posted the runners-up because they made me laugh and were just strange and nonsequitur enough to stem the tide of terrible entries I got. Honestly, a lot of the runners-up were right up my alley, in terms of my sense of humor. The Burger King one made me spit water. I'm not sure why, but I think it's the sheer amount of effort put into making something ridiculous.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. My sense of humor leans more towards irony than nonsequitor, hence why I loved the winner. It just fit with your column.

Ah well, as you're the one picking the winner, the only snese of humor that really matters is yours, so I guess that's that.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't get the Burger King one at all.
Vukir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:

And ironicaly, the Burger King one is really the only one I laughed at. It just struck something in my brain that made it funny... Probably because "The King" really disturbs me, and I have been apart of conversations that went something similar to that.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:

I think it was supposed to be a discussion on whether Bush is a king or a stupid monkey. I think it's a pretty cool strip because you can interpret the "punchline" in various ways (as in what's the exact reason for Sensei smacking him).

The one I didn't get at all was the pizza joke. If it was supposed to imply she is a pizza delivery guy then it doesn't really work for me. Am I missing some kind of pop-culture reference?

The "you sit on it" punchline was probably the stupidest but also the funniest for being so literal and giving an entirely peaceful twist to the joke. And I just love meta-jokes like "double entendre!". But the winner was no slouch, it perfectly referenced the previous week's column (and some recent forum posts).

The blindness joke was clever, I hadn't noticed his eyes were sort of out of focus. Unfortunately, I do think the joke suffered from poor wording in the dialogue. Or was this some other pop-culture reference I missed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4