• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Trigger Discipline

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Kekeke. Can I be just a *little* cocky about the new Hakuouki game? Can I? Pretty pretty please? Very Happy That said, I hope they make it a physical release and not a PSN release, if only because I have a hard time downloading PSP games from the PSN and getting them to actually work on my PSP. That, and I want a Limited Edition second like Demon of the Fleeting Blossom got.

Also intrigued by Bravely Default. If that ends up coming to the West, that just might be another notch on my "Reasons Why I Should Buy a DS" list. I need at least 5, and that would be #2.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I just received my copy of Toki Towa right before I left for work today. Sort of excited to try it out and see the game for myself. While it does look stiff when looking at all the promo and gameplay vids, I find the 2-D animation soft of charming in a nostaglic way due to it reminding me of the animation in cut sequences in SEGA CD games like Popful Mail.

I think Bamco might bring over to West. If not, Im thinking the game is being localized in English for a possible Asia region release.

Regarding the BRS game, NISA licensed it and I think they are stilling planning on releasing it. haha.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I REALLLLLLLYYYYY! Want to get my hands on that DRAGONQUEST VII 3DS REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So excited and I am also excited for (though not mentioned this week) MEGAMI TENSEI IV and the new FIRE EMBLEM!!!!

So pumped right now!!!!
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
8.297/10? THAT'S A TERRIBLE SCORE! You are obviously just a coffee cup fanboy.
Lenks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Nintendo 64's cartridge format scared off publishers, Square and Final Fantasy VII jumped ship, and Enix did the same with Dragon Quest.

Just thought I'd mention that these two games were actually for the failed DD, more so than the cartridge format. Both were initially announced for the 64DD. But Square went, "Uh-oh, our game is too (digitally) massive," and had to put their product on the Playstation. Couldn't tell you 100% why Enix went to Sony, though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a larger problem, however. The teacup is a stable little thing, but I very much doubt that anyone who acquires it will put tea or any other liquid in it. It's a collectible piece, the sort of thing one displays instead of using it to brew hot chocolate and then wedging it in the dishwasher.

Um, no. People will likely use it for just that reason. That is its intended purpose, collectible or not.

Shining Ark: Aaaaaaand another Shining game we won't get. Moving on.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy: I wonder if we'll get this. It would be strange not to. I've heard some comments fly here and there about the game having too much text to translate or some other nonsense along those lines.

Project X Zone: It would be really amazing and a miracle were this to come here, but I just don't see it happening. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything, it's just crossovers are a sticky business. I know we got Cross Edge and Trinity Universe as well as Endless Frontier, but something like this might be harder to bring over.

Sol Trigger: This does seem like a pretty appealing RPG from what I've seen of its development and trailers. I'm hoping this gets a localization.

Toki to Towa: I've watched playthroughs of this on YouTube and I have to say it's pretty simplistic as far as gameplay goes. Battles are nothing special and despite the conversation segments, the game itself is a largely short adventure. There are some fun and unique points, but don't expect anything too glamorous. Unsurprisingly, people complained that slapping 2D characters on 3D backgrounds was not a creative move at all. "It just makes the game look and play weird." Probably the rantings of graphics-enamored imbeciles, but who listens to these types anyway?

Sticker Star: Despite how anticipated this was originally, you should see the babies whining about "how it's not a Paper Mario game either." My god, every fandom has its share of dipsticks, but Mario's has some of the worst I've ever seen. I admit removing experience points and leveling up is a tad strange, but it's not the first RPG to do this, just the first Paper Mario to forego it. The battle system also seems too weak according to them, since Mario can only fight with stickers and his sole HP parameter can only be raised by doing sidequests and beating bosses. Why is it whenever developers try to do something different to avoid monotony, the babies have to cry about it?
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
project x zone + us release= reason to buy a 3DS
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I really want Bravely Default. The art style is just gorgeous.

I will play any Harvest Moon game regardless of quality, but I've been hearing that A New Beginning actually mixes the formula up a little bit for the first time in years. I really need a 3DS Sad
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Why is it whenever developers try to do something different to avoid monotony, the babies have to cry about it?

I haven't played previous Paper Mario games, and haven't seen anything of Sticker Star, so it may be the greatest thing ever and I'm not commenting on it directly... but your gameplay description makes it sound sort of like "doing something boring to avoid monotony" to me. I may be way off.

Edit: From the trailer, looks a bit oversimplified but might work if combinations of ability stickers allow for interesting tactics against specific enemies or something.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I'm completely turned off the new Paper Mario game because of no experience and the weird battle stuff. I don't have a 3DS so I wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but to me an RPG needs experience points and levels and stuff to be good... its what keeps games like Skyrim back from being great (I had to mod in an XP system to make it playable). XP gives you a constant motivator to play and makes every battle worth doing. Its just one of those things that isn't broken, so why fix it?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh...Skyrim does have an XP system, it just doesn't have a character level. You earn XP for a skill by practising it in-game; a system that I personally think works better for a game like Skyrim.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Uhhh...Skyrim does have an XP system, it just doesn't have a character level. You earn XP for a skill by practising it in-game; a system that I personally think works better for a game like Skyrim.

I mean it doesn't have xp for quests (which gives motivation for quests), for exploring, for fighting enemies, etc. Just a bunch of random skill up things that make little sense and forces you to do things outside of your character role to level up, like a thief wearing heavy armor/using a shield or a warrior casting lots of magic. Its just an annoying way to level that is easily corrected by adding xp to everything you do and leveling up that way.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I'd take Fallout New Vegas' system over Skyrim's. Leveling up and getting a set amount of points to put into skills rather than just leveling up the skills themselves with no levels feels more rewarding and gives you more incentive to do things other than stand in town casting the same spell over and over to build up your skill in Illusion magic.

Also am I the only one who much preferred the Mario and Luigi RPGs on GBA/DS to the Paper Mario series? Outside Legend of the 7 Stars, those were my favorite Mario RPGs.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on New Vegas... thats the perfect type of leveling system for a WRPG. Everything I do in the giant sandbox gives me XP, so it gives me lots of motivation to find and do everything. But for Skyrim, a quest might only give me some weapon way worse than what I have, so why bother doing it? And constantly spamming random spells I don't need to use everywhere I go while handicapping myself by using equipment I'm not good with just to level is a really faulty system. Everything else about Skyrim is better than New Vegas, so it does suck that the most important part (to me) is flawed.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I haven't played previous Paper Mario games, and haven't seen anything of Sticker Star, so it may be the greatest thing ever and I'm not commenting on it directly... but your gameplay description makes it sound sort of like "doing something boring to avoid monotony" to me. I may be way off.

Edit: From the trailer, looks a bit oversimplified but might work if combinations of ability stickers allow for interesting tactics against specific enemies or something.

That's not what I'm saying at all, so yeah, you're off.

As I said, Sticker Star doesn't have what the babies consider "staples" of the series. There are no partners or badges (Super Paper Mario didn't have badges either but it did technically have partners in the form of Pixls) and Mario has only one stat, which is HP. Mario only inflicts as much damage as the sticker allows depending on what it is along with additional timing to get more damage out of them. He gets no experience points and stickers are essentially all attack items. Shops only sell stickers as there no other items and there's no equipment to wear either.

I suppose on paper, no pun intended, that sounds pretty weak for a Paper Mario game (and it does remind me of Xenosaga II, which did away with similar things to the point of ruining itself), but I think people need to actually try the game first before writing it off based on only what they hear, see or read. Playing something for yourself, in my opinion, is the one true way to determine if a game is right for you.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2