• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Teh Rules Proposal]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
As far as capitalizing proper nouns is concerned; I do not believe that our login names count as a proper noun. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong! Mr. Green

Handles (login names) *are* proper nouns, since they refer to a specific person. However, if the handle itself isn't capitalized, then IMO it shouldn't be capitalized when used in a sentence. This is because I would then view the lower-cased name as a stylistic choice of the person who made it, and it would be rude to "correct" the way someone chooses to write their own name/handle. (I always capitalize my handle, but that's my own choice.)

BTW, capitalization is not part of spelling, but of grammar.

Edit: Removed comment about 'Blast of Tempest.' I misunderstood what was being talked about, which is my own fault. Razz

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.

Is that really neccessary? Sure, in some cases it's obvious English is not a posters native language, but them being here means they're making an effort. The only reason to make a note of it in a post, would be to keep the grammar nazis at bay. And let's be honest, condescending behaviour as shown by grammar nazis doesn't belong on these forums in the first place.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.

Is that really neccessary? Sure, in some cases it's obvious English is not a posters native language, but them being here means they're making an effort. The only reason to make a note of it in a post, would be to keep the grammar nazis at bay. And let's be honest, condescending behaviour as shown by grammar nazis doesn't belong on these forums in the first place.

It's necessary for us Moderators, though. While we aren't true "grammar Nazis," we do have to call out posters who are making little or no effort to use correct grammar, and resolutely refusing to work on one's grammar has been a contributing factor to Moderated or Banned status in some cases. We give more leeway to those who make it clear that English isn't their first language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I have struck the last 2 lines; comments, anyone?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Is it safe for me to assume that my proposal has been duly considered and rejected?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Mostly adopted.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I have struck the last 2 lines; comments, anyone?

Quite a bit of work for something that's not going to be read.

Still waiting for an answer of those cosplay dancers for the polls. Neutral

*snickers

I just look at the rules like this: As long as you don't piss of Zac, it's all good.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Quite a bit of work for something that's not going to be read.
Heh, that is quite interesting; the gaming company Valve -- as part of its orientation -- has each new employee change something in the employee handbook in order to inculcate the value that nothing is sacred in the Valve workplace.

Oh, well; I only edited it because I thought that that it was an effort that deserved doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2