• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: King of Thorn BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Decent, until the god awful CG started dominating half way through the movie. Still, I've seen much, much worse things in my lifetime.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
I never read the manga (since it was Tokyopop, probably never will), so to read a review of the movie from someone who did is definitely interesting. Still, I'm a little surprised this movie got as good a review as it did. I thought it was fun at its best, albeit incoherent at its worst. It probably would've made a difference if it was pushed to a full two hours. Visually, the worst it got was you could easily tell when the protagonists are CG, usually in the same scenes as the creatures, making me wonder if there was a similar problem with the Berserk movie.

When I saw it at Otakon this year, it was a cool theater experience. Everyone around me grimaced at the gruesome parts and cheered during the heroic climax. Yet there was one part where everyone laughed at--one of the protagonists saying something along the lines of "This is like a plot out of a bad movie." I don't know whether this was in the original Japanese (the movie was shown dubbed), but it was like Funimation was intentionally giving a nod to the audience, as if understanding this isn't high art.

Regardless, despite the heavy flaws I didn't hate it at all. I have a tendency to appreciate similarly-recieved movies, like Origin: Spirits of the Past (although I consider that a far superior and cleaner film), and reading this review has made me feel like collecting the blu-ray of King of Thorn for my library.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Visually, the worst it got was you could easily tell when the protagonists are CG, usually in the same scenes as the creatures, making me wonder if there was a similar problem with the Berserk movie.

Berserk turns out to be entirely CG including all the characters. They then composited 2D drawn faces over the CG models and some enhancements on top of the all-CG base, a sort of rotoscoping you could say.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Great review: fair, informed, and thankfully free of the sickeningly ignorant "it's different and thus crap"-spouting that's depressingly common. I could go on a tangent, but the review was spot-on regarding the viewing of the film as an [i]adaptation[/] (and yes, I have read the manga).
On a different note, I actually thought the CG monsters looked good, though the characters' rendering bugged me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
After rechecking out some of the film again, my final opinion boils down to: somewhat interesting, but too convoluted and unpolished to be a lasting title of interest.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
As much as I didn't like this adaptation, some parts are okay and Misia's Edge of the World song is awesome.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of the most fair and levelheaded reviews I've read on this movie. It hit all the good and bad points dead on.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Good review, Theron. It actually makes me want to watch it for myself and compare notes. Admittedly, the basis of the story is interesting to me. I guess my one concern though is how people have mentioned it being a bit convoluted at times. It is extremely frustrating when that happens. I wonder how do writers/directors fall into this pit?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
Good review, Theron. It actually makes me want to watch it for myself and compare notes.

Well aren't you lucky because Jason made me a copy of his to check out. Wink If you like it I might just add it as a stocking stuffer next month heh. Personally the premise interests me as well though I confess to never having read the original material. Which perhaps might be best as I can go into the movie with no predisposed opinions to alter my judgment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1