• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: [C] BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ugh, how this pile of garbage managed to air on noitaminA and why FUNi bothered picking it up are two questions that just baffle me.

Kimlinger wrote:
...doesn't try too hard to explain everything...

That was put under the positives, and yet the vagueness of the awful plot and game mechanics is a major problem in this show.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
So many "C"s in the grading for C! ;D

It's such a shame that between Mononoke, Kuchuu Buranko, tsuritama, and this mess, this is the Kenji Nakamura series that Funi decided to release over here. ~sigh~ At least Sentai licensed tsuritama. Maybe that will heal some of the hurt Anime cry
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
This is such a harsh review of a show that I found to be quite compelling and good..in my opinion this was one of the best shows to be released last year. The English Dub is respectable Michael Tatum,Monica Rial and Brina Palencia all gave well rounded performances but the real scene stealer is Scott Freeman as Masakaki who was pitch perfect.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
[c]'s only good in showing what a version of YuGiOh who was written by someone with the sociopathy of Gen Urobuchi with none of the nuance of the same would be like.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
Ah, [C], how you disappointed me. I remember being quite excited with the first episode or so, with the awesome visuals, cool opening, and interesting concepts. And then everything just fell apart.

Even the fight scenes weren't that great in my mind. Interesting looking, but often boringly designed. Too many times they were just "Kimmaro's being beat up, Kimmaro's at a disadvantage, oh no, he's really in trouble now! But the last moment, he gets a burst of resolve and instantly defeats his opponent with a massive attack!" Watching him run around for the majority of the battle only to win in a second wasn't very interesting, no matter how pretty the attacks were.

The most hilarious moment in the entire show (though not intended as so) was when Kimmaro's "get's resolve and somehow beats his opponent" moment spoiler[occurred off screen. He was being pounded, about to be defeated, and suddenly we jump to after the end of the battle and just hear about how he won. "Oh, I can't believe you got me with those two whatever-flation attacks, that was incredible."]

(Actually, I take that back, the most hilarious parts might be the English voice acting in the Japanese subbed version in a few scenes.)

Also, I had issues with Mikuni. spoiler[We learn that he's trying to use money from the Financial District to help Japan, and also that he's using his guild to try to minimize the effects of the District on the real world. And then we get introduced to several characters who oppose his views, because, well, the Financial District is evil I guess? Ok, fine, but not a single person ever had a good alternative to what Mikuni was doing. People caught up in the Financial District have no way to escape aside from losing everything, are forced to fight every week, and are replaced if they do lose everything. Given that, what alternative is there to manipulating the battles so that loses are minimal?

Maybe they were trying to argue that the only issue was that he used money from the District, that it was too dangerous or whatever to do so, but they never really made a compelling case. Plus the ending scenes seemed to be trying to imply the Financial Districts might not be as evil as some of the characters thought and would always exist, so were those scenes suppose to be telling us Mikuni was right?]

And then there are the final episodes, spoiler[where we encounter the [C] phenomenon. Which felt to me like just a poorly explained way to make Mikuni the bad guy by having him use reckless methods to protect Japan. Even then, they still kind of failed, because we were told that [C] had in the past wiped out an entire island nation from existence, and once again, the "heroes" had not a single alternative idea on how to ensure that Japan wouldn't be destroyed. The final solution of Kimmaro, pulled out of a dark place at the last minute, was to run the Midas presses backwards, thus converting Midas money back into future potential or something. Why this works is unclear, though, because this should cause Japan's Financial district to run out of money, and it was the Financial District of another country somehow running out of money that caused [C] in the first place!]

So yah, I mostly agree with the review, but this is one case where I'm actually a little harsher on the show than Carl is.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought this very premise would work better for a Persona game or another Shin Megami Tensei related game. It'll be quite amusing if Atlus thought the same thing. Laughing
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
When was the last time a series had you debating economic philosophy?

Spice and Wolf ANYONE? and guess what it does it a lot better and a lot more interestingly, it develops it's characters so I actually care about them, and the plot actually is well thought out and developed.

I am surprised the reviewer liked the ending most people find it to be another bad example of the noitamina OH 2)(*$ WE'RE ENDING IN TWO EPISODES!

This show is horrible avoid it like queens blade if you know what is good for you

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
"Ahh, the joys of mortgaging my future..." Bart Simpson on the C anime {Not really but it fits}.

I liked the show, I didn't like the show.
I liked the concepts, I didn't like the concepts.
I liked the characters, I didn't like the characters...

What I liked about the show is that it agreed with my own concepts of economy, especially in regards to credit, inflation and outright innate value. The absolute metaphor is that while the future can become valueless, it's not as if you'll ever run out of it. It's a concept, not a thing. Like money only with a lot less greed and a lot more gluttony.

Which brings me to my second point of liking the show: Jennifer Sato. Most other characters in this series are Greed, she's Gluttony. I'd liken Greed to the simple fact of wanting followed by more wanting with Gluttony is consumption with a reason; It's a means to an ends. Whether it's hamburgers or making villains out of thin air, she knows what she wants.

I would have liked a bit more resolution on her storyline, more than zero at least. spoiler[What is a merger of two futures anyway? Meaningless or what? Hello? It's your show, Mr Writer and Mr Director, don't make me do all the work.]

The money eating goat. Girl. Goat-girl. Know the classics and know the basics and everything else falls into place. Provided the audience isn't totally, you know, clueless...

What I didn't like: It's too short and the "fights" are too easily fought and won on credit. {It's why loans are never part of RPGs}. On the other hand, it's realistic in regard to actual economies and in fact how the US can still function. How long can it be sustained, selling off tomorrow for simple goods today? How does this shellgame still find marks to play? Are you asking or are you blaming the show, a work of fiction, for not answering?

It's good but I'd only be willing to pay at tops, 30 Midas dollars for it. Actual dollars? Don't have those...
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
[c]'s only good in showing what a version of YuGiOh who was written by someone with the sociopathy of Gen Urobuchi with none of the nuance of the same would be like.

he is the us exec producer he does very little with the actual product,
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
I could care less about economics, but I thought the series was okay enough with a distinct, intriguing premise and how it tried incorporating both economics and sci-fi action, but...
Quote:
...as well as some nicely understated hints about the nature of Kimimaro and Mashu's relationship...

Their sweet surprise of a last moment in the final episode alone was what really made this show worth watching in the end, for me at least.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
give recall watching it all dub & series is was ok give whole sure whole risky bet biz doing could alter so much could "change everything & everyone"

overall give it fine sort make wonder after watching is this really worth the biz to do in it?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
So many "C"s in the grading for C! ;D

It's such a shame that between Mononoke, Kuchuu Buranko, tsuritama, and this mess, this is the Kenji Nakamura series that Funi decided to release over here. ~sigh~ At least Sentai licensed tsuritama.

Now if only Funi or Sentai would bring over Mononoke: my personal favorite among Nakamura's works; tsuritama 2nd favorite.
Preferably Funi because there box sets are getting better IMO.

Yeah. [C] was a huge mess, I'm not even going to sugar coat it. Boring is a nice way of putting it.
None of the fight scenes I watched were exciting; in fact, there's one battle between Mashu vs. an angel (thing) and the whole battle gets cut out. And they had spent the entire episode building it up!!
I didn't see the last episode because I had abandon the show before the climax but I might finish it later on...maybe.

I forgot what was the point of entering the world of the Financial District; was it to impress some girl or earn enough money to pay his way through college? I was getting interested in the economics but after awhile, I felt more confused than ever.

I'm better off learning the art of medieval trading from Spice and Wolf than this Pokemon version of Wall Street.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

he is the us exec producer he does very little with the actual product,

Not Gen Fukunaga, this guy. Wink
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ugh, how this pile of garbage managed to air on noitaminA and why FUNi bothered picking it up are two questions that just baffle me.

I have said it before, aside from 1 or 2 series (Steins;Gate), the newer (not rereleases) anime that FUNi has released tends to be more mediocre than good. I have nothing against FUNi, but please release more good stuff.

Sure, Funimation is the king of dub, but what cost? Having to release only boob comedies and shallow action shows to recoup all dubbing costs? Why not cherry pick your dubs, like Sentai does.

Honestly, if FUNi went under (I hope it does not), I do not think I would miss it much.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Why are people in this thread talking as if Kuuchuu Buranko isn't CLEARLY Nakamura Kenji's greatest work? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3