• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Babylon's ending, wait what?!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
I was rereading the volumes of Tokyo Babylon but I was super confused by the plottwist involving spoiler[Seishiro] in the last volume. He spoiler[first saw Subaru when he was a kid and had to kill him to remain in the shadows since Subaru saw one of his victims. Instead, Seishiro makes one of the most random bets I've ever seen in a manga: Seishiro has to live with Subaru for a year and if he does not love him after that he will kill him. I keep wondering why didn't he just kill him because he became a well known assassin during X/1999].

Also, the sudden ending confused me. Was Clamp pretending to continue Tokyo Babylon in X/1999 or there were issues in the serialization? I would have liked if Tokyo Babylon had a second part with the spoiler[darker Subaru searching for Seishiro while dealing with other cases].
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Spoiler tags, please. How exactly did it confuse you? What you wrote is pretty much exactly what happened.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Spoiler tags, please. How exactly did it confuse you? What you wrote is pretty much exactly what happened.

The title already saw the spoilers coming. I thought it was pretty obvious from what I wrote. Why make things harder when it can be finished in one day? Seishiro had no reason for that.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It's been awhile since I read this one but I would think Seishiro's motivations for spoiler[the bet] would be connected to who Subaru is, since the head of the Sumeragi clan and the Sakurazukamori are meant to be rivals/two halves of a whole (at least this is how they are described in the X anime series, which is the part of their story I've seen most recently).
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of simple really, Seishirou spoiler[is a sociopath, who only sees people as objects.

When he first saw Subaru, he didn't kill him outright because he was surprised and intrigued to see another Onmyouji amost as young as him. And he was further intrigued by Subaru's pure-hearted reaction to his rather horrid story about people being buried under cherry trees.

Really, the entire bet was just an experiment on Seishirou's part to find out if he could have the capacity to love. Unfortunately, he foudn the answer to be, "nope" and Subaru lost the bet. Or so it seems...]

And yes, the storyline does get resolved in both the manga and TV series of X, but in differant ways. The entire bit with spoiler[Hokuto], is explained as well
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1