• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network on DirecTV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh, it's on 177 on my dial. I hope they do have more. Need the less, I had it Tivo it early this morning and looking for to seeing Gantz later tonight. I already own Samurai X the Movie, but I got anyway since I would like to see the station on lineup, not as, ugg, Pay-Per-Veiw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
They're testing the waters. If DirecTV subscribers bite on it in sufficient numbers, I'm reasonably certain they would be willing to go ahead and offer it at a regular channel...which means that buying the programming might help grease the cat.

Despite having DirecTV, I don't see myself biting. Netflix fills that particular niche in my life.
B33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Its on 177 for me also. Hopefully it does well. I would love o finally get the Anime Network on DirecTV...
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Grease the cat? never heard of that expression.

But, yeh, SUBSCRIBE and PROVE YOUR LOYALTY... TO ANIME!
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Pay Per View? Nuh-uh. My parents won't go for that. (And, unless the selection grows a little, neither will I.)

Still, it's nice to finally see TAN on a big satelite service like DirecTV.
djarch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'll put it to you this way:

DTV buys a little of ANN to PPV. Very few people buy it. Is DTV going to make it part of their lineup? What do you think?

Unfortunately, I don't have DirectTV, but if I did, I would buy it, because I really want to have the 24h channel. All it is, is a test... you're being tested.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't count on Direct TV getting the linear channel ever.

The 24 hour linear channel was really created because ADV believed it would be easier for them to sell the TAN VOD service to cable/satellite TV operators if it was connected to a linear channel.

As things turned out, while ADV has had modest success selling the VOD service to many cable/satellite TV operators, the linear network has been an abject failure, because the advantage of VOD is that cable/satellite TV operators do not need to sacrifice one whole linear slot for such a niche channel, and the overhead for running VOD is far lower than running a 24/7 linear channel (where they have to fill some 1344 to 1488 half hour slots a month), so I would not be at all surprised if the linear TAN is scrapped entirely in favour of concentrating solely on VOD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I wouldn't count on Direct TV getting the linear channel ever.
Sad but true. I hope if they more content over the next couple of months atleast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Anime Network has a similar set up for Comcast and other cable companies where you can watch their top level line up like Gantz, Elfen Lied, Gilgamesh, and other premiere ADV movies. I've purchased and viewed them every week not only to support Anime Network but also to view these movies. It has been well worth it to me.

This is very good news for Anime Network, I wish them the best. But if someone's going to view these types of shows on a pay to view basis the Akimbo / Anime Network partnership that will debut later this month sounds a lot more attractive.

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8244

I will be signing up for this service.

Now the next step is to get Anime Network 24/7 on cable/satellite. Tenchi you've made a lot of spot on comments. The problem with getting on linear networks is for the most part they get charged quite a lot of money. Comcast for example requires start up networks to shell out around $300-600 thousand to get a channel on their line up.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Great!

Now, if only this happened about 6 months ago, you know, when I had DirecTV...
PMDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't care for the way ADV titled their press release 'Anime Network on DirecTV' (same as the headline on ANN) when the truth is the "Network" is NOT on DirecTV.

Channels 120-195 are PPV channels. That's all they do. So they're only showing some PPV selections on a normal PPV channel.

That's quite a big difference and not nearly as impressive a headline.

Anyway, this is not like Comcast's generally free VOD. PPV is not included for free with the DirecTV service.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
While great (I have DirecTV)... I really have no use for it since Netflix allows me to watch rent of those titles over and over and over.... for one rate. Plus most of ADV's titles I've either seen or own.

But yes, finally DirecTV is at least doing SOMETHING with TAN. I doubt we'll get the linear channel anytime soon, but it's a small victory for those anime who love pay-per-view.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
*expletive*

The odds of my roommate agreeing to getting direct TV are slim to none at best.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, so they finally did it. I can't remember how many times I've bugged them about it, a few years back.

Too bad I've seen most of what they're offering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AniMeSisTeR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
that's so cool! well...i'll try and see if my parents would let me watch it...since it's PPV...but it's cool how there's another anime network...right????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2