• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Taiwanese Faust Award and Kadokawa Chinese Light Novel Award

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
『零壹世界與眼鏡視界』 by 蒼我, which had received a '浮文字新人獎' award (the successor to Taiwanese Faust Award), was published in June.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_(magazine)
The illustrator is Yasu. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasu_(illustrator)

『蒼髮的蜻蜓姬 Dragonfly Princess』 by 墨熊, which had received a Kadokawa Chinese Light Novel Award, was published in July.
The illustrator is DomotoLain.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately the readership of ANN is not too interested in anime-related events outside Japan or the Anglosphere, or I'll be able to cover those events.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote
I am interested. I wish I could read Chinese, sadly I can't. Maybe this will spark some forms of light novels in other parts of Asia.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I am interested.

I'm glad to see people interested in such coverage, but you live in a country with 1/4 ethnic Chinese; not quite so for most ANN readers. Furthermore, if you look the other way around, ANN's website ranking in Taiwan is too insignificant to be counted by Alexa. Most local anime fans read GNN or aniarc for anime news due to the language barrier; more seasoned, "advanced" fans would browse Japanese websites directly. Therefore, licensees could just ignore ANN's request for interviews, giveaways, etc., as exposures on ANN would bring virtually zero revenue for them. Likewise, spending time and manpower to cover Taiwanese events brings next to nothing for ANN either.

I met two visiting physicists from Hungary last weekend at Fancy Frontier 20, who found the dōjinshi / cosplaying event very interesting, and I explained the phenomenon to them. During the discussion, I mentioned the lack of response from ANN's readership to events outside the Anglosphere (or North America, to be more specific), and one of them pointed out that most American fan would only be interested in events they were able to attend. Even a comprehensive, 12-pages report of Japan Expo by Rebecca Silverman can't compete with any random English dub cast announcement in page views or replies.

UPDATE: Just received a phone call from my friend at Kadokawa Taiwan, asking me if I'd attend the press conference for the upcoming Comic Exhibition. My feeling:

I'd like to go, but if there's no responding coverage on ANN, my credibility would be harmed significantly. I feel that my relationships with local industries established in the past seven years are about to be shattered at any moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This guy read 『馬桶上的阿拉丁』, a Taiwanese light novel which got a Taiwan Kadokawa Light Novel Award.

http://yominuku.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/292/

Dormcat wrote about this light novel in another thread.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1