• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
I remember watching a few episodes of this show because of some the ANN Preview Guide entries for it.
Preview Guide wrote:
The episode begins with a young man frantically pedaling a bike while being chased by what looks like a souped-up Segway outfitted with an Uzi. We soon learn that there's a bomb under the seat of the bike, Speed-style, even while a girl with long ponytails parachutes out of the sky, guns blazing, to rescue him.

That just sounded so ridiculously awesome that I had to check out the show. What surprised me is just how incredibly dull Aria managed to be despite the apparent insanity of some of the events. Never bothered to finish it.

A part of me keeps on wanting to go back to it, since (I believe) it's still legally streaming and there's something weird about my brain that doesn't like to leave anime series unfinished, but after reading this review, I think I'll probably pass.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
I only watched it for the Kugi tsundere loli. She was great, but beyond that, the story wasn't really interesting and the action was average at best. She couldn't really carry the entire show herself.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
What surprised me is just how incredibly dull Aria managed to be despite the apparent insanity of some of the events.

It certainly is no Futakoi Alternative, that's for sure.

Even with highly entertaining troll-subs by a certain group I couldn't make it past the third episode of this. It was awful. That its first volume sold ~6k copies completely astounds me.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
What surprised me is just how incredibly dull Aria managed to be despite the apparent insanity of some of the events.

Even with highly entertaining troll-subs by a certain group I couldn't make it past the third episode of this. It was awful. That its first volume sold ~6k copies completely astounds me.

It was already based on a popular LN, so it had that crowd buying it. Getting Kugimiya to voice a popular tsundere loli character is basically automatic sales as well. Its not really too surprising it sold well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
It is a sad statement that the onsen episode may actually be the best one.

Well, it could hardly have been any worse than the series itself. If the onsen episode really is the best then it's a pretty damning indictment on the production staff and the original author.

Good to see Theron paying attention to the plot holes for once.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Good to see you not being condescending for... oh, wait, never mind.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Do you even know as to which conversation I was referring to?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well, given that you gave the implication that Theron never (or at least seldom) pays attention to plot holes, I assume you were referring to multiple conversations. I know recently you debated him on Scrapped Princess, but I didn't pay much attention since it's been a while since I've seen the series and I can't remember it too well.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Theron wrote:
It is a sad statement that the onsen episode may actually be the best one.

Well, it could hardly have been any worse than the series itself. If the onsen episode really is the best then it's a pretty damning indictment on the production staff and the original author.

Theres nothing wrong with the original author, as much as not being able to tell the giant story he created in 12 episodes. The anime itself was made only as an advertisement for the light novels, since you could easily pick it up in the 4th volume and continue the story. Many anime are made like this without explaining plot holes, because those plot holes aren't supposed to be explained during that part of the story.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
I heard a lot of the fans of the novels actually hated the anime because J.C. staff supposedly pulled a Umineko treatment for the series. I dropped the series it was really bad. though I may go back and watch the troll subs that have heard are far better then the actual series. shame Funi couldn't have done a punch up dub for a series that could have actually used it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I know recently you debated him on Scrapped Princess, but I didn't pay much attention since it's been a while since I've seen the series and I can't remember it too well.

That reminds me, dtm never responded to my last post on that subject.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

It was already based on a popular LN, so it had that crowd buying it. Getting Kugimiya to voice a popular tsundere loli character is basically automatic sales as well. Its not really too surprising it sold well.

Except the series overall didn't really sell that well (I think at the end it averaged maybe around 4-4.5K?). Volume 1 sold well because it's a discounted vol. 1 (4200 yen MSRP where the other 6 volumes had a more typical MSRP of 7350 yen).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Theres nothing wrong with the original author, as much as not being able to tell the giant story he created in 12 episodes. The anime itself was made only as an advertisement for the light novels, since you could easily pick it up in the 4th volume and continue the story. Many anime are made like this without explaining plot holes, because those plot holes aren't supposed to be explained during that part of the story.

So tell me my good friend, the segways with machine guns was not in the original Light Novels? Well that's a relief.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

I'm still waiting on Key before I respond to both of you.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Well, given that you gave the implication that Theron never (or at least seldom) pays attention to plot holes, I assume you were referring to multiple conversations.

There was also the part in GOSICK where spoiler[Victorique - who's never fired a gun before, and lacks the strength to account for recoil - hits a tiny target next to some railroad tracks with a perfect shot from a pistol whilst being perched on the front of a fast-moving train.] Theron never mentioned that in GOSICK's review (despite it being particularly egregious), but he did mention Aria's twin-tails and the segways.

The GOSICK example wasn't the reason behind my earlier comment but I definitely did have it in mind when I was typing that line.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I know recently you debated him on Scrapped Princess, but I didn't pay much attention since it's been a while since I've seen the series and I can't remember it too well.

No dragging arguments from other threads into new ones. this is a topic about the horrible aria the scarlet ammo.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Well, given that you gave the implication that Theron never (or at least seldom) pays attention to plot holes, I assume you were referring to multiple conversations.

There was also the part in GOSICK where spoiler[Victorique - who's never fired a gun before, and lacks the strength to account for recoil - hits a tiny target next to some railroad tracks with a perfect shot from a pistol whilst being perched on the front of a fast-moving train.] Theron never mentioned that in GOSICK's review (despite it being particularly egregious), but he did mention Aria's twin-tails and the segways.

The GOSICK example wasn't the reason behind my earlier comment but I definitely did have it in mind when I was typing that line.

A you don't know she has zero gun experience, the anime cut a lot out of the novels.
B Kujo was helping her to make that shot
C never discount lady luck
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7