• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you read fanfiction?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you read fanfiction?
Never and have no interest whatsoever
21%
 21%  [ 23 ]
Never, but interested
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Checked some out once
22%
 22%  [ 24 ]
Rarely, only for a select series/scenario/couple
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Sometimes
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Often
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
I live off fanfiction!
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 107

Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
As requested by Tris8.

----

As for myself, I live off fanfiction! On my ff.net profile, I have almost 500 favorited fics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
I've never read any fanfiction, but talking to a friend recently who does has piqued my interest. There are some shows I just can't get enough of, and knowing that there isn't more coming, ever, is depressing. So the idea of reading fan made stories of my favorite characters having new adventures is quite appealing, especially since I've heard there are many really good writers of fanfiction.

That's a lot of fanfic willag, and quite a spread of different genres and shows!
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Haha, yes. There are several series where I become deeply entrenched in the fandom. There are some series where fandom is the only thing I really become a part of.

I was introduced to Kyo Kara Maoh by a friend who showed me the first episode. I wasn't all that impressed, so I didn't watch any more. Fast forward a year or two, I was reintroduced to it through fanfiction (a favorite author wrote a fanfic of it that I checked out). It took a while for me to realize that the series was one where I had already seen the first episode. To this day, even though I have read gobs of KKM fanfics, I still haven't seen any of it beyond the first episode. Everything I know about the series is due to research I've done online and stuff I've learned from fanfics.

Bleach and Naruto I haven't really seen beyond 10-20 episodes of. I've read all of the manga chapters for the Chuunin Exams and Soul Society arc from their respective series, but I haven't read much more beyond that other than a few random chapters here and there. But, dang, if I didn't love the fanfics. I have 22 favorite Bleach fics and 66 favorite Naruto fics.

I've only seen one movie from Detective Conan, and yet I have 8 favorite fanfics.

And there are several fanfics that I prefer to the original series.

I've been reading fanfics since the early 2000s. Looking for the gold among the chaff can be pretty rough. You sometimes have to be dedicated to it. Some fandoms have a higher gold:chaff ratio, but it's never easy. And I wouldn't list all of my favorites as gold either. Most lie within a range. And I do have a few stinkers I keep around for nostalgia's sake.

If there's any recommendations you're looking for, I'm willing to provide them. A majority of the stories I have revolve around certain pairings, which can be a turn-off to some people. But there are some stories that I'd still recommend, even with their pairings, because they are so well-written or have really good ideas or are just so engaging.

For example:

Twilight Child - Teen Titans (based off of the comics, not the tv series)
Summary: "When Raven temporarily loses some of her powers, she discovers gifts she did not know she had. And enemies."

This is actually a series of 5 stories plus a few one shots. And while the main characters are Beast Boy and Raven, KTHunter does a great job on capturing all of the characters. And her humor is amazing, especially during the one-shots ("Stair Luge Samurai" is a personal favorite).

----

This Pendant Heart - Princess Tutu
Summary: "When the story ends, almost everyone in Goldcrown Town forgets that their lives had once been turned upside down by a story, that there had ever been a girl named Duck at all. When Duck herself begins to forget, Fakir writes a story that costs him dearly."

This is a fan-made light novel collaboration between Mangaka-chan and Luna Sphere (both are pretty active and well-known within the PT fandom). They ended up making print copies of the LN, which I bought one. I consider this the unofficial 2nd season of PT. I think that the original series is perfect enough as is. However, if I were to want a sequel, this is probably what I'd want it to be.

----

The Girl from Whirlpool - Naruto
Summary: "When Naruto's father met his mother, his only impression was that a village out there must have been missing its idiot."

This fanfic has the benefit of having a couple who's canon, Minato and Kushina. This is just one fan's interpretation of how they met and got together. The difference is that SilverShine is an amazing writer. I'd recommend all of her fics, though a majority are Kakashi/Sakura. This fanfic is close to 250,000 words, still isn't finished, and has 4,306 reviews! And it's deserving of every single praise I could give it.

----

Tales from the House of the Moon - Inuyasha
Summary: "Kagome, now in college, discovers the tale of Sesshomaru and Rin. Grief can be a prison, but the bonds of love are not easily broken. What is the truth behind fairytales?"

Yeeeeaaaah, AU and Kagome/Sesshomaru, which will probably immediately turn several people off. However, it's how the relationship is slowly developed that really sells it. I was skeptical myself, but I normally give most couples a chance if the story comes with high recommendations. And damn, can Resmiranda tell a story. 42 chapters of about 326,000 words. And Sesshomaru and Kagome don't really hook up until the last few chapters. It's a story mainly about them coming to terms with unfair circumstances and how their strange acquaintance/friendship/relationship helps sooth away the wounds.

----

A Mary Sue Alphabet - Harry Potter
Summary: "A's for Amanda Our hero's twin sister Got lost as a baby and Gosh, how he missed her..."

A funny fanfic that makes fun of all of the bad Harry Potter Mary Sue fics out there. Laughing This fanfic is actually relevant for any sort of Mary Sue fic out there, and the strange quirks some writers have. It's probably funnier for those of us who have more experience dealing with these kinds of fics, but I think anyone could find the humor in this.

Quote:
E is for Elwen
An elf in her glory!
Who seems unware
That she's in the wrong story
Like all of her people
She's comely and wise
The hardest heart melts
At her come-hither eyes
But how did she get here?
There aren't any clues
And the author won't tell
'Til she gets more reviews

-:-

F for Furiko
Who came from the East
Her father's a magical
Shrinekeeper priest
She brought her katana
And swings it with ease
And she'll say 'onegai'
Instead of just 'please'
Each chapter begins with
A guide to the phrases
And thanks the reviewers
For singing her praises

I for Isolda
Who's nasty and mean
The worst evil sorceress
You've ever seen
The Dark Lord is naught but
Her grovelling bitch
No-one out-evils
This black little witch!
It runs in her family
Right down in her roots
But without a good beta
Her plots become ploots

N is for Naoko
In space she has dwelt
Her real name's Sailor
Asteroid Belt
A student by day
Vigilante by night
A short-skirted soldier
In crimson and white!
But what will she do when
Her secret's discovered?
Why, sex up the hero
And make him her lover!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Fandom is usually a big part of how I experience shows/books, and yes, fanfic is part of that. I don't write any myself, but I love reading it. I tend to multi-ship (and OT3-ship, come to think of it), so I like big fandoms best because those tend to have enough variety for me. I started out in the Naruto fandom, dabbled in Kingdom Hearts, was very into the Star Trek '09 fandom for a very short while, and right now I'm mostly into Homestuck. It's wonderful--- I can find fic for pretty much anything/anyone/any situation I please. Currently I'm watching Supernatural with my friends, and I'm eagerly awaiting the day we get current and I can dive into that treasure trove of fanfic.

I read fanfic for a lot of reasons. Sometimes, it's because I didn't like something the show did, and I want fix-it fic (see: Doctor Who). Sometimes, it's because I want the stories of the characters to live on, even though the source material is over (see: my desperate, fruitless search for fanfic for most of my favorite manga). And then sometimes, quite simply, I'm a relationships junkie. Doesn't matter what type, if there's character/relationship development, then I'm there. I love gen stories between crew members just as much as (if not more than) typical romance stuff. In fact, normally when I say "I ship them", it's not necessarily in a romantic way, just in a "I love when these characters interact" way. This is another reason why I love the Homestuck fandom; since Hussie has given names to these alternate types of "ships," the fandom is full of variety when it comes to not just who to ship, but how.

I've found that the trick to finding good fanfic lies in finding one good author first, than searching through all of their favorites. From there, branch off into more and more favorites from the new authors you've found. Anime hyper Unless I'm searching for a specific pairing, I rarely read "new" fanfic authors; I normally find new stories by following a link or a rec from another author I've read. Also, if a fanfic has Achieved Fanart (and not by the author themself), then I assume the best. This method does wonders for the crap/gold ratio.

...I would be willing to give out recs, but I don't think my tastes are in line with what most people here would want to read. It's mostly OT3s of various types, gen Star Trek '09, or Homestuck. Doesn't really fit the profile of this forum. Laughing
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Never, but kind of interested especially for some stories that ended and yet I still want a little more out of them. However, it will have to wait as my time for hobbies is limited right now.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
I used to read a lot- follow the trends, pick the fandom specific plots etc, now, due to the lack of time, I limit myself to those reccomended by reliable people. I like admiring all forms of fan activities, but my nature of nitpicking perfectionist make nearly all my own projects to be stillborn or given away.

Why do I reach for them? Usually when I feel that certain great series that captured my heart lack of some element- for example I've never wanted to see any ffcs for Utena or Princess Tutu, even if I adore them. There's nothing more to say.
However usually author leaves some space for ff writers- things that aren't plotholes, but left wihout word from one reason or another. 3 years span between Androids and Cell in Dragon Ball and Bulma hooking up with Vegeta (Toryiama apparently weren't into romance) or whole Sayian background left wihout comment. I can reccomend DBZ stories from ShanMah. My other favourities usually cover Star Wars and Thor universes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I put rarely instead of sometimes because of the second part in the choice. I do look up fanfics more often then "rarely" but I only do it for specific shows or couples ets. I don't simply go looking randomly and see if I can find a good one. I look sometimes for specific shows or characters/couples if I felt the source material left things unanswered. Or if I simply want more of them.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
Before I vote I would like to know if I am correct in assuming that fanfiction does not include doujinshi.
Doujinshi is made by fans, and is definitely fiction, but I have the impression that the term "fanfiction" is used for text only. Is that correct?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
"Fanfiction" looks like a broad term, but I've never seen it used to describe anything but prose and maybe verse.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wouldn't call doujinshi "fanfiction." I'd maybe call them "fancomics," if that. Fanfic is primarily text-based.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
"Fanfiction" looks like a broad term, but I've never seen it used to describe anything but prose and maybe verse.

ZepysGirl wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't call doujinshi "fanfiction." I'd maybe call them "fancomics," if that. Fanfic is primarily text-based.

That is what I thought.
In that case my selection is "Never, but interested."
"Never" should not be taken literally. I know that I have read a few short stories that I happened to come across while I was browsing the web, but I have never gone looking for fanfiction. But I think that I probably will at some time.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Never. If it's not canon or an officially authorized/published work like a novel, it's a waste of my time and I'm not interested.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Never, unless it's truly godawful, like stuff by ComicsNix, and then it's just for humor's sake.

Otherwise, like Kruszer, if it's not canon, I see no point.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Before I vote I would like to know if I am correct in assuming that fanfiction does not include doujinshi.
Doujinshi is made by fans, and is definitely fiction, but I have the impression that the term "fanfiction" is used for text only. Is that correct?

ZepysGirl wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't call doujinshi "fanfiction." I'd maybe call them "fancomics," if that.

Just for your information. Actually, there are dōjinshi of which contents are prose fiction using characters and settings from pre-existing anime, manga and so on.
At dōjinshi events, you can also see dōjinshi of which contents are nonfiction, critical essays and the like. (The subjects of such essays are not limited to anime and manga.)

Jon182

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
I put down read some once, but maybe I should have said forced to at gunpoint. I had a friend who loved to write fancfiction, but it was awful, and I was forced to edit said awful work, which may unfairly bias me against it.

I think good fan fiction is usually rare. I think even the best fan fiction authors(in NA at least), will never become professionals. Perhaps I assume too much, but I think that really good authors will try to create their own works and find their own "voice" instead of using someone elses framework.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4