• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: My Little Pony Invades Animate! Miami on January 18-20, 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
How sad is it when My Little Pony is you're most notable voice acting accomplishment /facepalm

what are you smoking, bro?
why would you not want half a million junior high school girls chasing you and touching you trying to get a pic on their cell phones

Oh my god seriously? This is why people don't like bronies. You assume anyone who doesn't like the show never watched it, and you see no problem with boldly bragging about touching underage junior high girls is okay.
Yes, the underlined actions are totally equivalent. Being the recipient of an action is exactly the same as being the agent of an action. By this "logic," I guess all popular male pop/rock stars from The Beatles to Justin Bieber are just as creepy as you're making the bronies out to be. And I suppose this guy (LINK NSFW) deserves to be hunted and arrested?

(Or in other words, potatochobit was talking about a "screaming throngs" level of fame and popularity, not willful molestation of girls under whatever age.)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its American Precure.

Why that requires them to be ponies is beyond me, but whatever.

I'm... not really seeing how MLP is anything at all like Precure. One's an action show the other is a comedy. Aside from both being aimed at young girls, they're content level and execution are completely different.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I gotta agree with Titan, MLP isn't the "U.S. Precure" at all, I mean sure the series pilot was in part a shout-out to Sailor Moon, and the mane six ponies each have different "element of harmony" they represent (laughter, loyalty, honesty, kindness,etc) But overall the show is usually more of a comedy/slice-of-life series, even the more action/adventure based 2-parters are closer to something like say Adventure Time over anything else.

But yeah I kind of wonder why the put this up on ANN at all, I mean surely the peeps in charge knew it would get more negative then positive feedback from this site.

But I digress.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Geeze people, grow up a bit. So what if MLP is the most popular show these voice actors enjoy. From a professional standpoint the gig is more than likely a hell of a lot better than any anime gig for them because of multiple seasons and other job opportunities like toys and video game voice work.

And I'm a 26 year old woman and I happen to like MLP. Does that make me a creepy fan? Hell no, I just like having something in English in the background when I work on art projects, and MLP happens to entertain this shojo fan.

Yes, the show is a kid show. I know this is shocking to tell you people here on an anime forum, but a LOT of the anime you obsess over are kid shows. MLP however like a lot of American kids shows these days puts things into their show for older audiences, and they know how to pander to those fans. They had me personally early on with their Doctor Who references. Do I consider myself a Brony? Hell no. Do I like MLP more than Shana and Black Lagoon. God yes, those shows bored me to death.

To each their own.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
@LGWolf: Agreed, the hypocrisy in the anime community both baffles & amuses me. Laughing Personally, *as i've stated in past threads* I just love animation as a whole, and yeah I gotta say I as well enjoy MLP over a fair share of anime out there. Not just for the typical pop culture refrences that are so popular in U.S. animation, but also for the visual style in general and the quality writing & voice acting. I gotta give props to Tabitha for being so talanted (seriously Tabitha St. Germain plays a BIG chunk of the cast, Rarity, Derpy, Luna/Nighmaremoon, Granny Smith, Pearl, Ms. Cake, one of the baby Cakes, etc and somehow gives them all radically different voices!) Its a shame Tara Strong gets all the Bronies love when she only voices 1 character, don't get me wrong I love Tara, but Tabitha, her Vocal range is just, AMAZING! But i'm nerding out as a fan boy.... still sad Funimation didn't get her back to voice Shana, although I have been glad to hear she is coming back to voice Roberta in Blood Trail! Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Yes, the underlined actions are totally equivalent. Being the recipient of an action is exactly the same as being the agent of an action. By this "logic," I guess all popular male pop/rock stars from The Beatles to Justin Bieber are just as creepy as you're making the bronies out to be. And I suppose this guy (LINK NSFW) deserves to be hunted and arrested?

(Or in other words, potatochobit was talking about a "screaming throngs" level of fame and popularity, not willful molestation of girls under whatever age.)

To be fair, doesn't the fact he listed it as a positive perk mean he finds it a desirable aspect and wants it to happen, though?

Soundmonkey 44 wrote:
Agreed, the hypocrisy in the anime community both baffles & amuses me.

I don't see how this is hypocrisy. Like I mentioned, just because you like Precure doesn't mean you have to like MLP given they're executed in two different ways. It's hardly hypocrisy to like a kids anime and not MLP.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I don't see how this is hypocrisy. Like I mentioned, just because you like Precure doesn't mean you have to like MLP given they're executed in two different ways. It's hardly hypocrisy to like a kids anime and not MLP.

The hypocrisy being referred to is the general anime fan opinion that anything not Japanese is inferior in every way, ESPECIALLY when it concerns American animation. As a generally rule the American anime community just disregards anything as crap just because they personally don't like it and it has an American label on it.

I never said you have to like MLP. I just insinuated that anyone who brushes MLP off as a show inferior to the other shows the voice actor has worked on is blinded by their obsession and not seriously critiquing the show. And that's just self inflicted stupidity on their part.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
How sad is it when My Little Pony is you're most notable voice acting accomplishment /facepalm

what are you smoking, bro?
why would you not want half a million junior high school girls chasing you and touching you trying to get a pic on their cell phones

Oh my god seriously? This is why people don't like bronies. You assume anyone who doesn't like the show never watched it, and you see no problem with boldly bragging about touching underage junior high girls is okay.
*snip*

hey could you do me a favor and never ever link to sankaku complex here ever again yeah thanks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2