• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where to buy Japanese Visual novels?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I know Manga Gamer and Jast Usa release visual novels over here in the states but I was wondering if anybody knew Of any site where I could purchase visual novels not licensed over here yet?i know j-list sells them but i heard there service is piss poor now so I was hoping if anyone knew of any other sites?
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard or experienced anything bad with J-List's service; it's just their selection is limited and it's rare for them to be less expensive than anywhere else.

There aren't a whole lot of places that ship Windows software overseas, but www.paletweb.com and www.neowing.co.jp are usable. (Neowing is the same store as CDJapan, but the CDJapan side doesn't list PC games.)

Of course you could also use a proxy remailer service to order from any Japanese store. Because of the proxy fees, you're unlikely to save money this way even if the store has lower prices than PaletWeb or Neowing, but if you're interested in a particular store-exclusive bonus item you may want to do it this way.

For game consoles/handhelds there are more options. (PlayAsia, HMV, NCSX, CDJapan/Neowing, etc.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
DL Site also has some. It's a doujin site, but I've seen ones there that were pretty highly regarded(or rather, I've seen some VNs that were well-regarded that were available from the site).
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
Is there a specific game that you are looking for?
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
I haven't heard or experienced anything bad with J-List's service; it's just their selection is limited and it's rare for them to be less expensive than anywhere else.

There aren't a whole lot of places that ship Windows software overseas, but www.paletweb.com and www.neowing.co.jp are usable.

I forgot about AmiAmi. They ship PC games overseas, too.

Polycell wrote:
DL Site also has some. It's a doujin site, but I've seen ones there that were pretty highly regarded(or rather, I've seen some VNs that were well-regarded that were available from the site).

Yeah there are quite a lot of download stores these days.
None of the ones that deal in major-label (non-doujin) games are in English, but for people OK with navigating Japanese stores (which is probably most people buying Japanese language novel-games, unless you're only getting ones with English patches) then just google 美少女ゲーム ダウンロード販売 and you'll find stores.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
Is there a specific game that you are looking for?
Sort of.I was looking for a decently priced pc version of Kanon Air or Clannad .the cheapest I've found them so far is $43.00 and in the 50 dollar range.Which isnt bad its just shipping cost alot.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
The last time I saw those games for sale in a store it was (these are not the exact prices) 3000 Yen for Air, 4000 Yen for Kanon, and 6000 Yen for Clannad. If I happen to see those titles in a store that sells used games, would you like me to PM you the store’s name? I doubt they will want to deal with you, especially if you cannot communicate in Japanese, but there is always a tiny chance that they might.

Otherwise, good luck Very Happy
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
The last time I saw those games for sale in a store it was (these are not the exact prices) 3000 Yen for Air, 4000 Yen for Kanon, and 6000 Yen for Clannad. If I happen to see those titles in a store that sells used games, would you like me to PM you the store’s name? I doubt they will want to deal with you, especially if you cannot communicate in Japanese, but there is always a tiny chance that they might.

Otherwise, good luck Very Happy
No thank you.I appreciate the offer but your right with my lack of Japanese i better not lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1