• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto #1 in Canada with Teens

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I kind of expected there to be a little blurb on it, so it took me a few times to actually find the whole one sentence coverage it got, but it's still a great start for the series.

Also good news: Wolf Parade exposure. Very Happy Kids in Canada are digging them?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Take that, One Piece!

Anyway, Naruto succeeding is really good to hear.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Yashouzoid"]Take that, One Piece!

Anyway, Naruto succeeding is really good to hear.[/quote]

Is that supposed to be a sad joke? There's no way 4Kids' dub of OP is going to surpass Naruto; Naruto's dub was made as a [i]response[/i] to 4Kids interpretation of the series.

This comes as no surprise, but I suppose such a reaction in Canada is best for importers all around. Such justifies that Viz made an economically sound business decision to only slightly graze the Naruto dub; hopefully, we can expect Naruto to be the start of a new era of higher quality shows such that something along the lines of 4Kids One Piece never again sees the light of day.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
This comes as no surprise, but I suppose such a reaction in Canada is best for importers all around.

Not to mention that Naruto isn't even close to the top teen show on American cable. Although personally, I'm surprised that it's doing better up here than Inuyasha. Now if only the Canadian Google Zeitgeist would get updated...

Malintex Terek wrote:
Such justifies that Viz made an economically sound business decision to only slightly graze the Naruto dub; hopefully, we can expect Naruto to be the start of a new era of higher quality shows such that something along the lines of 4Kids One Piece never again sees the light of day.

Yeah, but what is that worth when a show as great as One Piece has already been subjected to that horror?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Pepperidge"]
Not to mention that Naruto isn't even close to the top teen show on American cable. Although personally, I'm surprised that it's doing better up here than Inuyasha. Now if only the Canadian Google Zeitgeist would get updated...
[/quote]

I cannot verify the veracity of that, but Naruto's still a fairly new series. It's much the same as [i]The Boondocks[/i] is for Adult Swim. As of right now in the dub, Naruto is heading into what many consider the highlight of the series; the Chuunin Exam. I wouldn't be surprised if Naruto were a phenomenon when such an arc concludes.

Following that, we have the fairly solid "Rasengan" arc, then the infamous decline of the series in the "Sasuke Rescue Arc". This culminates in a season of filler and a lackluster timeskip. The "Rasengan" and "Chuunin Exam" arcs should tie over Viz for about a year and a half; if Naruto isn't a phenomenon by then (exceeding Dragonball Z), I would consider this dub a 'failure'. Even preserved as much as it is, if Naruto cannot hold steam in the West, Anime in general is not ready to emerge as a mainstream genre of Western pop culture.

[quote="Pepperidge"]
Yeah, but what is that worth when a show as great as One Piece has already been subjected to that horror?[/quote]

True; One Piece isn't being run at its full potential. However, I really think that how well the series would do, even with a high quality dub, is debatable at best. The story has some roots in American history, the style is uncoventional, the abilities based on Western Comics, and many of the puns are Japanese exclusive. Otaku wouldn't like it because it's not "Japanese" enough, teens might find it boring and repetitive, and to adults such would be nonsense. Hence, we've a demographic dillema; 4Kids decision to focus on children with the series has logic, but their excessive treatment seems to have killed all potential such a series had for "phenomenon" status. OP will always be overshadowed by Bleach and Naruto in America; unless the Alabasta arc is [i]fantastic[/i], I think the franchise is dead in the West.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
See, it's funny, because last I checked One Piece is actually doing WELL with teens.

Whether it would beat Naruto in uncut form in ratings is debatable, but asking if it would be a success in uncut form isn't. No amount of 4Kids edits can prevent a show from appealing to its *intended* audience, and this proves that.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="Yashouzoid"]See, it's funny, because last I checked One Piece is actually doing WELL with teens.[/quote]

You're misleading us a bit. The Nielson Media Ratings you are referring to was from November 2005, and there have been many schedule changes since that information was published. One Piece is now closer to "prime time" and isn't sandwiched between two Naruto episodes. We've no idea how well the dub is doing now; even if the ratings are not spectacular, they're still high enough to keep the show on Toonami.

However, we're not talking about any average show. OP is exceeding more popular that Naruto; considering such, "mediocre" ratings are really not acceptable.

[quote="Yashouzoid"]
Whether it would beat Naruto in uncut form in ratings is debatable, but asking if it would be a success in uncut form isn't. No amount of 4Kids edits can prevent a show from appealing to its *intended* audience, and this proves that.[/quote]

Well, that actually proves nothing. You're underestimating cultural dispositions toward the show; the Western world has a growing interest in Japanese history and lifestyles, which is reflected in the popularity of "japanese themed" shows like Inu-Yasha, Naruto, and Bleach. Sterotypes have shelled romantic pirates into the world of children, as historical pirates were little more than beasts. Thus, there's considerable opposition to portraying a show with "real pirates", whom are essentially anti-heroes, as protagonists. I know that's not the case, but it's what people on the offhand percieve.

Historically, I can think of Card Captors, a Shoujo manga that was heavily edited and failed to meet its target audience. OP is really no different than CC, and is likely to meet the same obscure fate, despite 4Kids efforts to turn OP into a smash hit.

We'll have to see what happens in Alabasta, though. If OP doesn't take the reigns of American markets in what many consider the highlight of the series, I would conclude the entire franchise is dead. Unless 4Kids pulls serious momentum through Alabasta, I cannot foresee them even getting to the Skypiea arc.
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
And something tells me the last thing 4kids would do is change their ways because of a drop in ratings. Rather, they'll blame the original series itself.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
You're misleading us a bit. The Nielson Media Ratings you are referring to was from November 2005, and there have been many schedule changes since that information was published. One Piece is now closer to "prime time" and isn't sandwiched between two Naruto episodes. We've no idea how well the dub is doing now; even if the ratings are not spectacular, they're still high enough to keep the show on Toonami.

It wasn't sandwiched inbetween two Naruto episodes then, either. November 5th is when IGPX premiered, making the lineup Naruto-One Piece-IGPX-BoBoBo.

I imagine the dub is benefitting a lot from the Naruto airings, but before that it was scoring decently (well, for Toonami), so the ratings can't be all that bad.

Quote:
Well, that actually proves nothing. You're underestimating cultural dispositions toward the show; the Western world has a growing interest in Japanese history and lifestyles, which is reflected in the popularity of "japanese themed" shows like Inu-Yasha, Naruto, and Bleach. Sterotypes have shelled romantic pirates into the world of children, as historical pirates were little more than beasts. Thus, there's considerable opposition to portraying a show with "real pirates", whom are essentially anti-heroes, as protagonists. I know that's not the case, but it's what people on the offhand percieve.

But the show doesn't portray Luffy and crew as "real pirates" - in fact, they're quite the opposite. Luffy doesn't fight for wealth and power, he fights only for what he believes in and what he considers morally right. People like Captain Kuro and Arlong are portrayed as bad guys, and are also closer to the pirate stereotype than Luffy is.

Quote:
Historically, I can think of Card Captors, a Shoujo manga that was heavily edited and failed to meet its target audience. OP is really no different than CC, and is likely to meet the same obscure fate, despite 4Kids efforts to turn OP into a smash hit.

I doubt One Piece is going to fade into obscurity. I might have agreed with you when it was doomed on a death zone slot on 4Kids TV, but the show remains one of Toonami's top rated. Of course, ratings aren't everything, and 4Kids is, yes, going to have to really do something good to get the show "popular".

Quote:
We'll have to see what happens in Alabasta, though. If OP doesn't take the reigns of American markets in what many consider the highlight of the series, I would conclude the entire franchise is dead. Unless 4Kids pulls serious momentum through Alabasta, I cannot foresee them even getting to the Skypiea arc.

True. I think it mostly relies on the merchandise, however. The show has the ratings, so obviously it has the exposure needed for, say, DVDs and games to sell. But the only game commercials I've seen were on Adult Swim (when I really doubt anyone is going to care), and I doubt there won't be any DVD pimpage outside of a couple print ads in, say, Shonen Jump. It's a shame, really, because the possibility of uncut box sets could very well lie in how the edited DVDs perform.

Furthermore, 4Kids should really try harder to advertise the show itself. Cartoon Network is pretty niche itself (though now it's trying to be a Nick clone), and it's going to need an extra push. By comparison, for the first couple of weeks on broadcast, Naruto was heavily advertised on GameFAQs to the point where the front page site skin was devoted to listing the time and date of the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1