• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in The Shell Individual Eleven Details

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange how they say the show starts 6 months after the initial show ended when episode 2 begins, it's already the end of The year 2031. And by episode 10 it's nearly the end of 2032... D:
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
So a good chunk of time passes over 8 episodes. There you go.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
That's not the way the official books hinted at it... D:
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Just what exactly is this OAV? a recap? Release is slated to Jan-27th, how long you think before a R1 disc comes out?

Tks.
Walkabout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:
Just what exactly is this OAV? a recap? Release is slated to Jan-27th, how long you think before a R1 disc comes out?

Tks.

Erm...never. If the Laughing Man collection pops on over here, that'll up it's chances, both otherwise I rather doubt it, as all this is is all eleven Indiv episodes in one set.
It's all on Bandai.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Walkabout wrote:
Armagguedes wrote:

Tks.

Erm...never. If the Laughing Man collection pops on over here, that'll up it's chances, both otherwise I rather doubt it, as all this is is all eleven Indiv episodes in one set.

The RahXephon movie? The Gundam SEED movies?
Walkabout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Pyoko wrote:
Walkabout wrote:
Armagguedes wrote:

Tks.

The RahXephon movie? The Gundam SEED movies?

This isn't your average feature-length catch-up, it's really ripped and remastered footage(with a little extra), and if you buy it, it defeats part of the purpose of buying the original first series. The Laughing Man set was over two hours, and covered 13 21-minute episodes of material. The Seed movie skimmed the two-and-a-half hour mark and covered 52 21-minute episodes. Do you really think there's a basis of comparison for that level of conversion?
Also, Bandai, while recently releasing material similar to this, hasn't ever had the best track record for it, many studios simply don't(ala the unreleased Vandread films, for example).
In any case, I suppose "never" wasn't fair, they may just(Bandai seems to have gotten a blood transfusion of some kind in the last year or two), but for now there is no confirmation one way or the other, and since Manga may have final say in this, it ain't over 'til it's over.
Or I'm wrong, either way works for me, I own the first season of GitS, and will likely own the rest of the 2nd someday, so cliff-notes version or not, it's all a matter of whether they think they can cash in on it, as people who already picked up the series may be a bit hesitant about this.
But hey, who knows?
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Wait, you mean they didn't release the Vandread OAV's in the states? It's one of my favorite shows.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
But isn't the Laughing Man thing supposed to be very cinematic and made like a feature length movie? I've never seen it so I don't know. Or does it just play like a recap episode? Like the FMA Reflections OVA.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
Walkabout wrote:
This isn't your average feature-length catch-up, it's really ripped and remastered footage(with a little extra), and if you buy it, it defeats part of the purpose of buying the original first series. The Laughing Man set was over two hours, and covered 13 21-minute episodes of material. The Seed movie skimmed the two-and-a-half hour mark and covered 52 21-minute episodes. Do you really think there's a basis of comparison for that level of conversion?

But the fact remains that they're both compilation movies with some new stuff added, only different levels of compression (runtimes suggest the SEED trilogy runs at close to 300 mins) and I don't agree with your reasoning that this special would somehow make the original series redundant; there were a lot of good episodes with no connection to the Laughing Man.

And my impression is that most people who got the SEED movies also bought the original series, and that they're not even that good. So in that respect it would make more sense to release the Laughing Man/Individual Eleven specials since they seem to actually be worth having. Cash in on those who might not want to take a chance on the single volumes, as an extra for those who already have it all (I bought the singles and would definitely order this in a heartbeat) and perhaps even get some people interested enough to buy the entire seasons.

I hope we'll see these on R1 some day, but of course they've still got 3 'Official Logs' to do before that so who knows when that might be. At this rate they probably won't be finished until the next-gen formats have become the standard.
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
Personally, I hate this kind of stuff because I'm always expecting entirely new content. Rarely do these "recap with added content" films/OAVs measure up to the original episodes.

Wise up and stop buying this crapola, people!
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
Correct!

I'd never buy something like this. I mean It's the same thing I already have plus few extra scenes? What good is that? I mean, really, what am I getting that's worth of buying? Nothing really.

The only thing I would (ofcourse I would) respect and buy, would be the 3rd season of SAC or the SAC movie.

But this, no way...
Walkabout

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That's part of my point, Pyoko, the SEED movies weren't well received, this will make Bandai even more edgy to the idea of bringing them in. And I'm sure most people who wanted GitSSAC have gotten it, this movie is far more likely to pop up after a year or so when Bandai thinks there's a new market...
And yes, the Vandread films/oavs were never released by Pioneer(now Geneon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1