• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top Movies of 2005 in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Is... that so?

How was the ninth Pokemon movie? It sounded somewhat different (though knowing Pokemon, I don't count on it); I'm curious... (and I don't need opinions from "mature" nine year olds who haven't seen it...)
naushika

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious too, and I do agree with minakichan, it does look different.

Anyone know anything about when it will be released in the US? Does Miramax still have the rights to the movies?

*still a Pokemon fan after all of these years* Wink
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote
Hey if Howl's moving Castle was one of the best films in Japan then maybe it has an even better shot of winning best animated film at the Oscar's this year. This has certainly put my hopes up.
naushika

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, that I think Wallace and Gromit has the oscar "in the bag." Especially after it swept the Annies. Though, I would be pleasantly surprised if Howl's did win, though I think Wallace and Gromit deserves it more. ...Torn between a better movie and a movie by my animation idol...*sigh* Confused
coldspider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
You probably mean the 8th movie.The 9th movie comes out later this year around July I believe.

But anyway,after watching the sub (that's available on the net BTW),I have to say this is one of the most subtle movies to come out in the series.It really isn't a huge epic that most of the other movies have been.Which Pokemon has done really well these past couple of years,but this movie was a nice change of pace.

And to the surprise of many people,this movie doesn't really focus on Ash.Instead,he plays more of a supporting role this time around.Make no mistake,this movie is about Lucario and ONLY Lucario.The plot mainly revolves around Lucario and his relationship with Aaron.(his 'master') Lucario tries to deal with what Aaron did to him and to find out what exactly was the truth behind Aaron's actions.Surprisingly,character development is one of the things that really drives this movie.

But it isn't perfect obviously.The plot is supposed to congregate in a place called The Tree of World's Origin so there has to be reason for all the characters to gather in that part of the story.And that's the problem.The reason is basically to "rescue" Pikachu from Mew (which lives in the Tree),that only wants some friends to play with.The movie might've been better if there was a more *urgent* reason to get to the Tree,but if you see the movie,you know why they have to get there.The point was getting Lucario to the Tree,just wish the reason could've been better.

But overall,this is defintely one of the best movies in the series.So far,it places 3rd on my favorites right behind the Latios/Latias movie (2nd),and Revelation Lugia.(1st)

naushika wrote:

Anyone know anything about when it will be released in the US? Does Miramax still have the rights to the movies?

Well since Pokemon USA took over the licensing rights this year,I think it's up to them to choose a distributor.And whether they either want a direct-to-DVD release,or a theatical release.I have to say,I wouldn't mind watching this movie in theaters.Hopefully Pokemon USA consideres a theatrical release for the film.

Last edited by coldspider on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You probably mean the 8th movie.The 9th movie comes out later this year around July I believe.

Oops, hahaha, I guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself... I keep thinking, "10th year is coming soon!" but that's for Conan, my "other nostalgia!attack obsession."

Quote:
Surprisingly,character development is one of the things that really drives this movie.

GOOD, I've been hoping that the producers would start bringing that in more ><, and less battle-angst. The increasing chara development (though minimal at best) that Hoenn had is what made me interested in Pokemon again after retiring in Johto... Hope this trend continues! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1