• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Post Apocalyptic Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote
Hey,

Are there any good post-apocalyptic Anime out there? New old It realy doesnt matter I just love the genre... I couldn't find any good movies out there so I am resorting to anime, which I love as much as movies... so anbody? What are your favorite Post-A Animes?

Wyrmling
=Ivan=

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
Hmm... The first one that came up to my mind is Nausicca from the Valley of the wind.

Maybe not best but trully different aproach to nature, animals and eccology.

PS:
It really made me look at insects diferently.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised that nobody's mentioned the quintessential post-apocalyptic anime, A Wind Named Amnesia.

In this anime, a sudden wind (of mysterious origin) appears all over the world, striking everyone with amnesia. In the primitive post-amnesia world, a single man sets off on a journey across America, looking for some kind of answer to the questions raised by the situation -- but most of all, looking for his own identity.

I rated it Masterpiece.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Now and Then, Here and There would fit the bill nicely. Its a stupendously crafted series where a boy from modern japan get swept off to a ruined world where a demented king uses children and ruins the lives of thousands in his neverending quest for pointless power.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I still like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou best.

Because of its "gentle", low-key approach, with an emphasis on atmosphere rather than plot, and because the survivors (and their children) of whatever unspecified catacylsm it was that happened a few decades prior still organize themselves as a functional, albeit much smaller, civilization without the violence and anarchy of most post-apocalyptic anime, a lot of people don't think of YKK as being a post-apocalyptic story, but it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Both Trinity Blood and Gilgamesh come to mind for me. Really I am thinking about Gilgamesh which is set in a world where all technology is basically lost thanks to a terriost attack. I really enjoy this show, I would recommend it.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Some of the most famous series, like Trigun and Evangelion, are also post-apocalyptic, even though the world of the characters in EVA isn't exactly harsh/hardscrabble. Trigun does fit the bill of a dusty, bleak, depressing world. There's one other series that I want to mention, but unfortunately, calling it "post-apocalyptic" is kind of a spoiler.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I still like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou best.

Because of its "gentle", low-key approach, with an emphasis on atmosphere rather than plot, and because the survivors (and their children) of whatever unspecified catacylsm it was that happened a few decades prior still organize themselves as a functional, albeit much smaller, civilization without the violence and anarchy of most post-apocalyptic anime, a lot of people don't think of YKK as being a post-apocalyptic story, but it is.

Very good point, although I wish to (ever so slightly) disagree. The story in YKK is, it is true, a story of the slow decline of humanity into (probable) oblivion. But there doesn't seem to have been an actual apocalyptic event. Yes, the waters are rising, but that seems somehow incidental to the main series of events that is causing the human decline.

But post-apocalyptic or not, YKK is the best of the breed.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a theory that what happened in YKK was something besides the rising water/sinking land, and might have something to do with Mount Fuji missing its top.

Something like a volcanic lake releasing a poisonous gas, which actually did happen in Africa at some point within my lifetime, but on a much larget scale.

Seems a bit far-fetched.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I'm rather surprised that nobody's mentioned the quintessential post-apocalyptic anime, A Wind Named Amnesia.

In this anime, a sudden wind (of mysterious origin) appears all over the world, striking everyone with amnesia. In the primitive post-amnesia world, a single man sets off on a journey across America, looking for some kind of answer to the questions raised by the situation -- but most of all, looking for his own identity.

I rated it Masterpiece.

- abunai

sounds and looks amazing Very Happy however, i have to ask; does it have a "rushed" feeling to it? I just wonder, because Howl's Moving Castle, though amazing to me, had a very rushed and weak ending. And that sounds like a story that would take more than eighty minuites to tell to the full extent of what the story could be....
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Although it's not the total destruction of Earth have you watched The Day After Tommorow yet? It's so damn good. If you are a junky for the genre and you haven't seen this you better go rent it right now Exclamation
major_pain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Gilgamesh and Sousei no Aquarion both come to mind. I would, however, only recomend the first one. Gilgamesh is an interesting show (great review here), but Aquarion was just stupid. It was entertaining, but definately nothing special.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Angelcake wrote:
Akira.

and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Period.

i know akira is supposed to be some super amazing important anime, that revolutionized anime in the states, right?

why? i've seen it (quite a few times, my buddy is obsessed!) and i don't see anything special; it's good, better than alot, but overall, replacable (naussica however was quite good) if you know what i mean.

plus i didn't totally understand it (i think) everyone says there's some (everyone = my friend) greater lesson/truth in the story; i just find it as entertaining sci-fi...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I've seen a theory that what happened in YKK was something besides the rising water/sinking land, and might have something to do with Mount Fuji missing its top.

Something like a volcanic lake releasing a poisonous gas, which actually did happen in Africa at some point within my lifetime, but on a much larget scale.

Yes, I remember the Lake Nylos incident -- the gas in question was plain old carbon dioxide. When the lake was disturbed, the gas bubbled up and flowed downhill to settle in a depression. Unfortunately, the depression was the site of a village, and over 1700 villagers were asphyxiated.

As for Fuji having lost its perfect cone in YKK, that certainly indicates some volcanism -- but it could well be that Fuji simply had an eruption. That is, the deformation could be merely a storytelling device to bring home to the reader that the events being portrayed are in the future. It needn't be related to the ocean rising.

Tenchi wrote:
Seems a bit far-fetched.

Not as far-fetched as one might hope. The Earth is a much less stable and friendly place than it may seem. I can imagine at least four or five major natural catastrophes that could have caused the oceans to rise, as they do in YKK. However, none of them explain the decreasing human birthrates, nor do they explain a host of different facts that are obviously somehow related to the decline of Humanity.

It is clear that the biological organisms that mimic the shapes of humans (i.e. the Water God) and of human technology (i.e. the streetlights) are in some way causally related to the slow decline of humankind.

NyuuChan wrote:
sounds and looks amazing Very Happy however, i have to ask; does it have a "rushed" feeling to it? I just wonder, because Howl's Moving Castle, though amazing to me, had a very rushed and weak ending. And that sounds like a story that would take more than eighty minuites to tell to the full extent of what the story could be....

No, A Wind Named Amnesia manages to tell the story without seeming rushed. The pacing isn't perfect, but then again -- few stories are perfectly paced. You even get an explanation for the "wind of amnesia", near the end of the anime, so no loose threads.

- abunai
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
**searches for it**

sounds good. thanks!

and on the subject, or some reason this topic makes me think of mushishi...hm. odd....but thats a good show too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2