• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bodacious Space Pirates Due February 4 From MVM

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TOSHIBA-BDX3100-Multi-Region-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B009L9FRCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353869357&sr=8-1 ? And that was a 10 second unthinking search. If you search around I'm sure there are others. You could even import one from the US.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That's a Toshiba im not a fan of Toshiba's stuff from a few bad experiences with them.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
That was an example. Have you even tried looking?
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
yes but the ones that would fit with my set up are all 200+ also when it comes to AV equipment I would rather buy from a brick and motor store than an online retailer.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Those are your personal issues. It isn't really a lot of money in the context of premium releases. I'm sure if you really searched there would be specailist shops that could get Region A players.

Frankly, there are options available. If you really wanted, you could set up your own company and try and sell what you want to the UK market. Then you could laugh in the other distirbuters' faces as you are proved correct.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Those are your personal issues. It isn't really a lot of money in the context of premium releases. I'm sure if you really searched there would be specailist shops that could get Region A players.

Frankly, there are options available. If you really wanted, you could set up your own company and try and sell what you want to the UK market. Then you could laugh in the other distirbuters' faces as you are proved correct.

Do you know how hard it is to set up a company in a market where one has a damn near monopoly on it? also i have little to no time for apologists.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
There's clearly gap in the market though, isn't there? You could fill that niche of stuff that they don't get. I was joking in the suggestion, I couldn't imagine you'd actually be proactive about the situation.

You are putting barriers up for yourself. Just buy a damn Region A player, so you aren't reliant on companies that can't supply you with what you want. It is that simple. Anything is just finding minor problems not to do it.

I'm not apologising for anyone, by the way. I buy nothing from UK distributers, so couldn't care less if they all went under, nor if they did blazingly well. I've not once defended them in this topic.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
You know I'm not just thinking of myself here I'm also thinking of the other fans who saved up so they could be HD ready only be told that these companies are going to offer SD only.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
They can though, can't they? They can buy a region A Blu-ray player as well. In fact, I would wager the people who genuinely care already have.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Well the cheapest you can go HD for i've found is about £390 and i wouldn't expect someone to add another £100 just to make up for some company's stubbornness and in the long run we'd be worse of if those two actually went out of business.

And just to add it's not up to the customer to jump through hoops to get a quality product/service, it's up to the company to jump through hoops to deliver a quality product/service.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
They can though, can't they? They can buy a region A Blu-ray player as well. In fact, I would wager the people who genuinely care already have.

Most people on the animeuknews forums who buy BDs have a multi region player and import from the US. QED.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
I don't have a region A or multi-region player...

I do import from Region B Australia though, and get the occasional region free disc from the US (Trigun Badlands Rumble most recently)

You might as well wait and see what MVM manage to do, but if all else fails, you can import the Australian Region B Hanabee Blu-ray release of Space Pirates next year...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Ok while was getting some tea this was kinda digging into the back of my head like a mite. Now let me get this right what you are saying is people still prefer DVDs? Right right let me think about that for a minute or so....are you sure that they really prefer them or are they just not rolling over and taking what's given?

"prefer" is probably not the right word as factors like price and available playback equipment are probably the most important factors, but the fact of the matter is that when both formats are available separately, DVDs outsell BDs. I think the last time I saw some sort of ratio mentioned it was 3:1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought this would be a fun thread about what sounds like a fun show (even the name alone caught my eye).

Christ, was i wrong.

I have bought every UK anime BD i can. Yes, i have been annoyed when some get cancelled (like FMA:B) or have a second season not come out (like Sengoku Basara) but I know that sales wise and profit wise,those things can be tight as hell. If something isnt selling, what do you expect Manga & MVM to do? Carry on releasing them, loosing money in the process? Why?!? Do you want our few anime companies to die, after the loss of ADV and beez? I dont. So what if something isn't out on blu-ray, i will still support the companies.

For example, i'd love Clannad to get a BD release in the UK, but im just happy enough that Manga have released what must truly be a niche title in what is already a niche (and secretly hoping they pick up AIR and Kanon so i can buy them again, heh), so I got the DVDs, even knowing that Sentai were readying a BD in the US.

(on the oth
er hand, Kaze certainly seem to be going full steam ahead BD wise aren't they? I guess the fact that they are multi-EU country helps though)
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I thought this would be a fun thread about what sounds like a fun show (even the name alone caught my eye).

Christ, was i wrong.

I have bought every UK anime BD i can. Yes, i have been annoyed when some get cancelled (like FMA:B) or have a second season not come out (like Sengoku Basara) but I know that sales wise and profit wise,those things can be tight as hell. If something isnt selling, what do you expect Manga & MVM to do? Carry on releasing them, loosing money in the process? Why?!? Do you want our few anime companies to die, after the loss of ADV and beez? I don't. So what if something isn't out on blu-ray, i will still support the companies.

For example, i'd love Clannad to get a BD release in the UK, but im just happy enough that Manga have released what must truly be a niche title in what is already a niche (and secretly hoping they pick up AIR and Kanon so i can buy them again, heh), so I got the DVDs, even knowing that Sentai were readying a BD in the US.

(on the oth
er hand, Kaze certainly seem to be going full steam ahead BD wise aren't they? I guess the fact that they are multi-EU country helps though)

Well if MVM and MangaUK did die off/leave the market then it could and would most likely lead to more European companies to fill the gaps left in the UK market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3