• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, November 19-25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Neither Btoom nor My Little Monster managed to chart in BDs. Don't really care about Btoom but its too bad to see about My Little Monster... at least it charted on DVDs and did about 1200 there. Still really bad though.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Neither Btoom nor My Little Monster managed to chart in BDs. Don't really care about Btoom but its too bad to see about My Little Monster... at least it charted on DVDs and did about 1200 there. Still really bad though.

Did you help it out by buying a copy?

I bought two of the titles on this week's list: Yamato 2199 and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I bought two of the titles on this week's list: Yamato 2199 and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.

Nah. I like the show but not THAT much. I'm only buying Chu-2 and Girls und Panzer this season. Possibly Little Busters if it gets better from here on out.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
it pleases me that Horizon is doing so well
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

That's right!, My Little Monster is not selling well. I am guessing we will not be seeing a second season. It is a shame. I feel like it had potential to be great if more of the manga was animated.

Not surprised that Japan continues to love Sword Art Online.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Is it gonna take 100k discs sold for them to announce Horizon III? What's the hold up, get that season into the Spring line-up.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
its too bad to see about My Little Monster... at least it charted on DVDs and did about 1200 there. Still really bad though.

Nah. I like the show but not THAT much. I'm only buying Chu-2 and Girls und Panzer this season. Possibly Little Busters if it gets better from here on out.

Chuunibyou and GuP are the only definite imports for me from this season. I haven't even tried some of the seemingly-popular series from this season (R;N, K, etc.), but I'm not sure if I'll get around to them. I've also only watched a couple of episodes of LB, so it's possible that my list might expand, but I'm still importing Jinrui and Hyouka. I don't know if I want my import list to get any longer.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Yamato 2199's latest volume coming in so high. Had some fun with DHL taking three attempts to deliver it, and the third was via a third-party courier.

Every episode I watch, the more I enjoy it. The changes they make to the original continue to be ones that are justifiable, both the original characters and those that are new to this incarnation are better thought out and add depth to the story, and they continue to fill in the gaps the original story had in it. The one doubt I had about a remake of Yamato when I first heard about it was how they would change it compared to the original. Not only have my concerns been quelled, but my expectations exceeded. There are two storylines in particular I enjoyed their changes to from the original storyline in this volume.

I don't follow the rankings regularly, but I do notice that Japanese anime fans are certainly embracing Blu-Ray releases, the numbers of Blu-Ray sales in the top ten far outweigh DVD sales. I'd be interested in seeing the numbers of Blu-Ray vs. DVD sales of US releases for those titles available on Blu-Ray there.[/spoiler]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
its too bad to see about My Little Monster... at least it charted on DVDs and did about 1200 there. Still really bad though.

Guess it's not the type of show otaku buy.

ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

I don't follow the rankings regularly, but I do notice that Japanese anime fans are certainly embracing Blu-Ray releases, the numbers of Blu-Ray sales in the top ten far outweigh DVD sales.

For otaku titles.

Though the appearance of Brave on the list suggests J-mainstream buyers are getting more into the Blu-rays as well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
BD players are getting cheap, and for mass consumption, the cheap DVD players seemed just fine for most people back then. The biggest limiting factor for BD proliferating like DVD did over VHS is the lack of immediate physical benefits (smaller case, no rewinding). Better image and sound just isn't as big of an immediate draw.

But yeah, nerds jump on new technologies, and having a PS3 be a BD player was a big help.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Guess it's not the type of show otaku buy.

you don't have to target otaku. Kuroko's Basketball, Space Battleship Yamato have normal people buying them. Kuroko is very popular with girls, but they like to buy them in dvd format instead of bluray.

Kids, older people, chicks still buy dvds. nerds buy more bluray.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That's right!, My Little Monster is not selling well. I am guessing we will not be seeing a second season. It is a shame. I feel like it had potential to be great if more of the manga was animated.

Depends also on the manga sales. But personally I wouldn't mind if a different shōjo series got its chance on TV instead.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain why Tokyo Godfathers didn't make the list? Are Kon's films really that niche or what?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Absolutely. I don't think any of Kon's films (or Paranoia Agent) ever had any financial success in Japan. It probably sold 2-3k BDs. This is just the short list so it will likely be on the extended list that comes out Friday.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
According to Amazon Japan, Tokyo Godfathers BD is ranked #1340 among videos... thats probably around 1k or less than it unless its dropped a lot in the last week since it released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2