• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena Set for $99.95

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Awesome- It feels like I have been waiting forever for the repriced Utena box sets to be released. If any show is a must have for shoujo fans, this is it. Anime catgrin
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm really torn on whether to get this. . .on the one hand, I want to buy the series either way (it's part of my "bootleg replacement program"), but I found the first box (eps-13 + movie) on deepdiscountdvd for $22. Assuming that the rest of it is similarly priced, then I can pick it up for around $70. I'm not really in a hurry, and I can take or leave the T-shirt. It depends on whether or not they're going to release seasons 2 & 3 separately for the same cost.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
:o

Man, I wish I could be sure that I can handle this in my budget. :( If so, I'd preorder PDQ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ohtori_akio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm really torn on whether to get this. . .on the one hand, I want to buy the series either way (it's part of my "bootleg replacement program"), but I found the first box (eps-13 + movie) on deepdiscountdvd for $22. Assuming that the rest of it is similarly priced, then I can pick it up for around $70. I'm not really in a hurry, and I can take or leave the T-shirt. It depends on whether or not they're going to release seasons 2 & 3 separately for the same cost.

The rest will be similarly priced. I'm after it for the same reason you are Smile The T-shirt is alright but as far as I remember, it is only available in XL.

Also remember, the first repriced boxset comes in February and the second one has been solicited for April. Yeah!!!!! Laughing

Reminder to everyone else, DO NOT watch the movie that comes with the first set, it can spoil what happens in the series later on....
JasonSolaris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:45 am Reply with quote
Hi. I'm new to the series, but with some of the AMV I saw, it seems quite interesting. Is this the first time the Rose Collection Arc is released in a boxset? Does anyone know if the discs for this new release will be the exact same as the singles that was released before? Will most likely they'll be old stock or repressed one?

Also, will the movie be the special edition one?
Thanks
ohtori_akio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
They ARE the same dvds pretty much. They have the same content but the demand for the repriced sets makes me think that they are newer presses.

Highly recommended series BTW
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
There are some spoilers in the movie, but then again, in the series: spoiler[Touga doesn't drown in an elevator or get r4ped0rz by his adopted father, and nobody gets turned into a car.]

Still, I'd recommend watching the movie, but after the series, of course.

Btw, deepdiscountdvd has the second season for $16.18, but since it doesn't say "pre-order," I might wait around for the potential re-pressing.
JasonSolaris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I was going order the Rose Collection set from DDD. I guess I would rather get repressed on, as you never know how how the made DVDs back then. I think I heard some copies of Princess Nine started to heavily pixelated when rewatched recently.

Going to avoid spoilers as much as possible this time and try to watch the Utena movie after I watch the series. I picked up the Raxhephon movie w/ box cheap and said WTF after watching but. However, didn't fair much better after watching the TV series.

I think some of the AMVs I saw might have spoiler some scences, but I still don't know enough about the story to make any sense to me.

Zalis116 wrote:

Btw, deepdiscountdvd has the second season for $16.18, but since it doesn't say "pre-order," I might wait around for the potential re-pressing.

I think you meant this one?

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=CPM006204

I was looking at it too, but it's weird that the description seem to indicate that it was the box set, but the DVD information seem to indicate a single DVD (ie. 100 mins).. I think someone at DDD got the picture and description messed up.

Has there been any known issues with first release of the Utena DVDs?
Thanks
ohtori_akio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The only issue the first set of Utena dvds have (first 13 eps only) is that the duel songs are hard subbed. This is a good thing for people who watch the dub but not so great for other who watch the subs as the soft subs overlap the hard subs. However, the image quality is great. I barely noticed any pixelation watching it and the colours look very good if you alter your tv settings slightly to bring out its intensity. Overall for $49.95 BEFORE discounts is a great great price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1