• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Umineko WHEN THEY CRY Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Maria is awesome, she's my favorite umineko character. she is the way she is in the first arc to get multiple points across. do not underestimate the baby of the uroshimaya family, she is one of the most central characters to what is going on I think (I have only lead up until episode 6 in the VNs so don't quote me to much on that.)

That said the boob jokes at beginning of this arc are out of place and are worse then the ones in the novels (though at least it's not the anime). and they are only in the first episode to so that's really odd. also the manga does not have as big a problem with this, but it really is slow in starting the plot. and the actual plot doesn't start until epsiode 2 really.

It's going to be fun to read any future reviews for this amazing series that is for sure UUU- especially since the reviewer seems to understand how the series works, even though they have not read the source material or seen any of the anime (the anime is horrendous)

P.S. Ryu already selected the romanji for his name was gouda so yen press would have to rename him basically and if NIS wanted to stay consistent they would have to edit any and all signs with his name in romanji in the anime.

Also anyone else who post here be very careful about what spoilers you post please.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
I was super happy that the manga came out and I scooped it up right away! I tried watching the anime when it came out way back when, but Maria's vocal tic thing just made me want to hurt something. (I think someone slapped her on that first episode and I cheered...) So the book is a godsend to me since I don't have to hear her and can just enjoy the murder-mystery!
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
Oh Umineko.

There are some stories that are easy to forget about after you have completed them. For me, Umineko certainly was not one of them.

I haven't read the manga, but I would think that it doesn't have much chance against the visual novel. One of the most popular aspects of Umineko is the music, so the manga readers are left out. For those who don't know, the original creators have approved the English fan translation of the visual novel, so one can buy the original Japanese visual novel and then apply the translation patch. Instructions to it can be found easily.

Lastly, I want to say something, even if I shouldn't. I try to be at least little bit vague about it. To the reviewer: spoiler[when in a story there is an element, which the creator has put in consciously, you could start to think, if there is any meaning in it, and not dismiss it outright.]

Last edited by Mr. Nescio on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Always wondered if the Seacats manga was any less of a trainwreck than the anime. I enjoyed the Higurashi manga quite a bit (but then again, its anime was not a trainwreck)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Always wondered if the Seacats manga was any less of a trainwreck than the anime. I enjoyed the Higurashi manga quite a bit (but then again, its anime was not a trainwreck)

UMINEKO IS NOT A TRAINWRECK NOT EVEN CLOSE. THE ANIME CALLED UMINEKO IS THOUGH.

Enough rant about the anime I think. @Mr. Nescio You really don't need to put that in a spoiler but since it is pushing it, since it's a bit to big of a hint. Umineko is going turn some peoples worlds upside down with it's plot that is for sure I am also pushing it a bit to much though probably UUU-

I probably shouldn't say this but why are Maria and Battler on the cover with an altered cover for the NA release.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
Rei was the only good anime adaptation of any part of When They Cry, probably because Chiaki Kon wasn't directing and she's a complete hack.

Thankfully the manga fares better for both Higurashi and Umineko. Probably the best alternative to reading the visual novel, though nothing tops that.

Not gonna lie, I have nothing constructive to add here. Just wanted to bitch about how bad the anime for this entire series has been for the millionth time. Manga is worth checking out though for anyone on the fence.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Rei was the only good anime adaptation of any part of When They Cry, probably because Chiaki Kon wasn't directing and she's a complete hack.

Thankfully the manga fares better for both Higurashi and Umineko. Probably the best alternative to reading the visual novel, though nothing tops that.

Not gonna lie, I have nothing constructive to add here. Just wanted to bitch about how bad the anime for this entire series has been for the millionth time. Manga is worth checking out though for anyone on the fence.

higurashi was not bad for all but two arcs. and that was because the first four arcs of higurashi are short. also if we want the Umineko VNs PS3/PSP port to be released by NIS we have to buy the release of it uuu-, plus the art books, case, and game are really nice it looks like. besides the blurays of the anime are a nice bonus I think. even if it is horrible
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:

Lastly, I want to say something, even if I shouldn't. I try to be at least little bit vague about it. To the reviewer: spoiler[when in a story there is an element, which the creator has put in consciously, you could start to think, if there is any meaning in it, and not dismiss it outright.]

I assume you mean spoiler[Maria's "uuu?"] I didn't dismiss it, just made a comment on how it appeared within this particular book, which was all I was reviewing. Believe me, I teach literature, I know better than to disregard authorial decisions, particularly within the mystery genre!

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
even though they have not read the source material
I wish I had time to play VNs!! If I ever get the chance, this one is at the top of my list.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Mr. Nescio wrote:

I assume you mean spoiler[Maria's "uuu?"] I didn't dismiss it, just made a comment on how it appeared within this particular book, which was all I was reviewing. Believe me, I teach literature, I know better than to disregard authorial decisions, particularly within the mystery genre!

He actually may be referring to the spoiler[boob jokes. I won't say why, but there's actually meaning to a certain boob joke scene.] It's one of the more subtle hints in the whole Umineko series.
I kept this as vague as I could. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for the later episodes. This volume was nice, but it's pretty vanilla compared to the rest of the series. It's like Higurashi's Abducted by Demons arc - it sets up the premise, but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty useless in figuring out the mystery.

My personal favorite is Episode 7, but at the current pace it won't be released here until 2015.

I'm also happy that Yen's release of Umineko includes color pages. Umineko is the one series where color actually plays an important role, so its presence is welcome.
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
This is basically my first impression of the series. The story is an awesome set-up for a horror/murder mystery. Until spoiler[the witches and their super powers/servants] take over. That part just ruined the series for me, mainly cause spoiler[the family seems to have no chance of winning]. This is definitely not another Higurashi despite being in the same 'When They Cry' series.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
This is basically my first impression of the series. The story is an awesome set-up for a horror/murder mystery. Until spoiler[the witches and their super powers/servants] take over. That part just ruined the series for me, mainly cause spoiler[the family seems to have no chance of winning]. This is definitely not another Higurashi despite being in the same 'When They Cry' series.

Hmm.... you seem to be misunderstanding the series in some ways. Umineko is actually a lot like Higurashi but taken a step further into the metafiction area that Higurashi only very slightly touched upon in the last two arcs.

I can equate your Umineko comment to Higurashi in a way that's like you saying "Higurashi was awesome until spoiler[Oyashiro's Curse takes over], mainly because spoiler[Keiichi and the gang seem to have no chance of winning.]"
... do you see what I mean?
Umineko takes things one step further than Higurashi did in that respect, but at its core the principal is the same. Higurashi: Is it a curse? Or is there a human culprit? Umineko: Is it a witch? Or is there a human culprit?

Just like how Higurashi spoiler[uses certain circumstances to absolutely portray the curse as "real" to the readers (especially in the first 3 arcs)], Umineko does the same thing and spoiler[shows you witches committing the crimes on Rokkenjima.] I believe this is the main theme of the When They Cry series, and both have it in common. It's the kind of mindset that I recommend keeping in mind while exploring Umineko, spoiler[if you aren't careful with how you interpret certain scenes, then you the viewer/reader will fall into the Witch's trap yourself and be wrapped up in a fantasy story simply there to mask the truth of the crimes... though, you can enjoy the tales of fantasy independently as well.]

I don't intend to lecture you or anything with this post, I'm just giving advice on another way to look at the story if you want to give Umineko another try.

All I want is for others to enjoy Umineko as well. Smile
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I actually meant spoiler[ what BalmungHHQ already told in his/her first post. Of course, I understand that it is impossible to think of every miniscule detail (I myself am a reader who doesn't think that much, even when reading mysteries), but I just had to point this one out.]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was excited when this showed up in my mailbox a few days ago. I wasn't expecting an omnibus release and after slowly buying the individual volumes of Higurashi, I was quite happy.

I'm also going into the manga with little prior knowledge of the series. I didn't finish the anime and I haven't played the VN. This is opposite of the Higurashi manga which I didn't start until after watching all of the series. It certainly makes the mystery more exciting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:

Umineko takes things one step further than Higurashi did in that respect, but at its core the principal is the same. Higurashi: Is it a curse? Or is there a human culprit? Umineko: Is it a witch? Or is there a human culprit?

But in Higurashi it is completely up-in-the-air as to whether or not it is actually a curse/disease/aliens/whatever. In Seacats they take a frickin' sledgehammer to say Look! spoiler[Meta tea-parties! Goat butlers! Giant obelisks! Kanon has a laser sword!] In Higurashi there is subtlety where the viewer is unsure what is actually happening. Seacats has no subtlety at all as to whether or not magic/witches exist. And by the time the 3rd arc started I saw it no longer cared about the mystery it set up and just wanted to be as wacky and inane as possible. I still trudged through the rest of the episodes, but the finale was somehow even more lackluster than the rest of the series.

In terms of your quote above, it didn't matter to me if it was a human culprit or not because I was flooded with pointless garbage instead of any sort of subtle mystery as Higurashi had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2