• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is "loli"?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been on here for very long but I've seen the word "loli" used in several posts. I looked on ANN's lexicon and didn't see a description there. Could someone please tell me the meaning of this word. Does it stand for "lolipop" or "Lolita" or something else entirely. In your reply, a description of a "loli" anime would also help with my understanding.

Thanks everyone! Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
It could be short for lolicon, which if you want THAT answer, I could give it to you.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Loli = Lolita Complex, which is Lolicon/Lolicom. The most blanket, general statement is that it's basically sexual gratification over young/prepubescant children.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
OOOKAAAY. Thanks for the info. I'm now not sure if I want to know what animes are "loli" Shocked

Appreciate the info nonetheless! Very Happy

I guess that I sort of knew the answer when I asked if it stood for "Lolita" but I really wanted to make sure.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Loli = Lolita Complex, which is Lolicon/Lolicom. The most blanket, general statement is that it's basically sexual gratification over young/prepubescant children. We have a few people with the whole "Lolicon" thing on this board.

I just want to specify that loli only refers to children in anime. There aren't that many people here into loli that I know of though. Also, there's a big difference between moe and loli despite people usually putting them in the same category.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote
Loli mostly refers to the character stereotype. They don't even have to be a specific age as much as a look (short and relatively flat-chested being the most obvious features.) Most anime with a large female cast have a loli in there somewhere ^^
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote
lolicon doesn't equal lolita complex, at least in america. It does in japan but in america, it's meaning changes just like the words anime, otaku, and hentai. Here in america, it's more of a justification for pedofiles to look at young animated girls getting it on. In japan, it's the same as calling someone a pedofile here in america.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Loli mostly refers to the character stereotype. They don't even have to be a specific age as much as a look (short and relatively flat-chested being the most obvious features.) Most anime with a large female cast have a loli in there somewhere ^^

Does that apply to Char Aznable and his flings with Lalah Sune, Haman Karn, and Quess Paraya, whom were in their teens?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
In English, one big difference between between "lolicom" and "pedophilia," is that pedophilia involves an urge or desire to have sex with children (many pedophiles resist the urge, being a pedophile is defined by the urge, not the act), while lolicom involves an attraction to to children (often times animated - noteworthy because some lollicon's have no attraction to real-live children/teens).

There aren't very many truly lolicon anime, but there are very many that have lolicon elements.

One of the reasons for a lot of confusion between lolicon and moe (as Pantsgoblin pointed out, they are very different) is that the same image/character/anime may be attractive to both interests.

A few examples of lolicon placement in anime include Kiddy Grade, Popotan and Daphne.

A good example of a title that's completely Moe, with no lolicom, is Yotsuba&! Hoewever its predecessor, Azudai, while mostly Moe, does include a few elements that come close, or perhaps cross the line, into lolicon.

-t
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
POSSIBLY NOT WORK SAFE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolicon

so loli = underage character
lolicon(us) = sexual attraction to said character
lolicon(jp) = pedophile

then theres moe:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moé[/url]

still confused on that one to me it sounds like either a brother complex towards a character or a non sexual attraction?[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Loli characters appear in many anime. It is basically a very "moe," underage female character who is generally portrayed in a manner that would appeal to lolicoms. Just because a loli character appears in some content does not mean it is about anything naughty however. I think the only reason that the word Loli is used so commonly (even for the non sexualized characters) is because Lolis appear in a TON of anime. Western animation for example doesn't feature nearly as many Lolis and in many anime, virtually the entire cast is Lolis, often with a singular older male "caretaker" character. This is basically it's own subgenre of anime at this point. Whether that is meant to create sexual undertones or not in any particular instance, it's definitely a big thing in anime.

So yea, given the ubiquitous nature of these "caretaker" anime and similar or related set ups, I have sort of accepted "loli" as a general descriptor for nearly any underage girl character who is depicted as being at least somewhat "moe," whether it's intended to be sexual or not.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Pleroma wrote:

Does that apply to Char Aznable and his flings with Lalah Sune, Haman Karn, and Quess Paraya, whom were in their teens?

Possibly with Haman and Quess, but I'd say a definite no with Lalah since she was only three years younger than Char.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1