• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

So close, yet so far away...
spoiler[The driven Kirito really is something special!
It's amazing what the power of love can do.
I was half surprised to see Leafa run to his rescue.
Well, the first attempt failed.. Sugu's cover got blown as well.
Her confessing love to Kirito was kinda sad.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Suguuuuuuu Anime cry

I know it happened earlier in the novel but I think saving it until now was the best choice. All dem feels Sad
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh noes! spoiler[Thank God she saved him from the resurrection counter... but it was so dangerous... wha?] Once again, the seriousness with which the situation was treated seems to be completely out of proportion with what was going on in the game, or that I'm missing something enormous.

spoiler["Please leave me alone!" "Okay, I'll be on the other side of this door listening to you cry. Don't worry!"]
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I think this is first time EVER that I'm shipping the brother and sister to be together.

And I'm usually against incest. What the hell is wrong with me?

What did this show did to me Shocked
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
I think this is first time EVER that I'm shipping the brother and sister to be together.

Welcome my friend. We have such sights to show you...
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
YES! YES! YES!!!! This episode was made of win for so many reasons, I don't know where to begin.

1) The battles were awesome in this episode precisely because spoiler[Kirito finally had a worthy challenge. I can not say how much I wanted to see this happen. That he lost was icing on the cake. All I have to say is: ABOUT DAMN TIME!]

2) Kirito's badass mode finally spoiler[broke down and he lost. I realize this isn't a whole lot, but at least it shows a chink or two in what was invincible plot armor. The only thing I would have possibly wanted was for him to have to go back to home, do not pass GO. But as it was, it was still good.]

3) The chickens finally came home to roost as far as spoiler[Suguha is concerned. I know it wasn't supposed to, but that last 5 minutes I was cheering as that dumbass cried. Finally, finally she got hit by the cluestick enough time to realize that her incestous intentions (fudge being related or not) are just creepy-gross. I was screaming at my screen in glee: "Cry sum moar! Your tears of incest imouto heartbreak sustain me!" Ha Ha Ha! Ya got kicked to da curb, now get to stepping!] Delightful, utterly delightful.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Now that's what I call good anime! Hopefully we will continue to see episodes like this.
Oroboro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
That fight was pretty glorious, and that Kirito lost it does make it a little more interesting too.

... Though I wonder why everyone acts like he hasn't lost before, when he got beat by Heathcliff twice.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Oh noes! spoiler[Thank God she saved him from the resurrection counter... but it was so dangerous... wha?] Once again, the seriousness with which the situation was treated seems to be completely out of proportion with what was going on in the game, or that I'm missing something enormous.

Lots of games have a system where if you revive someone before a certain period of time goes by, they will be restored either without the normal negative effects, or with them reduced to some degree. We do know that there are some negative effects to dying in ALO, but we don't know what they are or how long they last.

More generally, I liked the first chunck of the episode. It was nice watching Kirito hit that barrier and see the shockwaves spread out *that far*. And we *finally* see Kirito get really and truly emotional... as in displaying it. He finally seemed less bland to me, so that was good.

As for the spoiler[reveal and consequent confession]... well, I do feel for her, but still think her situation was... unnatural. At least now we don't have to watch her amazing cluelessness. Still, it was obviously really painful for her; I just hope she doesn't cling to that loser classmate of hers on the rebound.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
3) The chickens finally came home to roost as far as spoiler[Suguha is concerned. I know it wasn't supposed to, but that last 5 minutes I was cheering as that dumbass cried. Finally, finally she got hit by the cluestick enough time to realize that her incestous intentions (fudge being related or not) are just creepy-gross. I was screaming at my screen in glee: "Cry sum moar! Your tears of incest imouto heartbreak sustain me!" Ha Ha Ha! Ya got kicked to da curb, now get to stepping!] Delightful, utterly delightful.
Now that's what I call good anime! Hopefully we will continue to see episodes like this.

... Wow, do you have to be so heartless?

Suguha knew her feelings were unacceptable from the very beginning. She broke down this time because she had to deal with it twice over. Cut the poor girl some slack.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
drdr48 wrote:

Welcome my friend. We have such sights to show you...
*Breaks out into song* I can show you the world. Imoutos, twins and cousins. Tell me, anime watcher, when did you last let your fantasy decide?

I could continue on but I can not think of a word to replace "magic carpet".

Episode 22

Damn you Gary Stu Kirito, being able to beat an army of enemies that even a powerfull raid team can not beat, typical Gary Stu behavior. spoiler[That is sarcasim by the way, I thought that I would lamp shade the scene, hey there was even a flashback scene highlighting that Kirito is ristricted with what he can accomplish despite how hard he tries.]

As for why Leafa wanted to spoiler[resurect him], it might be something to do with if the spoiler[time runs out he will reciev a penalty to his equipment, stats, or he will have to respawn in Spriggan territory]. He would have to spoiler[start his journey back all over again, and now, and she might have no idea when she would see him again.] I enjoyed how it was handled when Kirito spoiler[was reaching and character died, and it just went black, I thought my player suddenly broke or something].

But the real meat of the episode was when Suguha spoiler[found out that "Momma" was actually Asuna], suddenly she spoiler[figured out why Kirito's change in behavior seemed familiar, Kirito was actually Kazuto.] That scene was so well done, her shocked face, and then Kirito spoiler[figured out it was her]. And then she totally spoiler[admited her feelings and Kirito found out, figuring out he was the one she was talking about earlier, so much better than if it had just been kept a secret.] The emotions done here were some of the best done thus far, and worked well into the ED song.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
as powerful an epi it was they really packed in a lot. this is the rush to the finish of this season. get ready for nasty cliffhanger.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

... Wow, do you have to be so heartless?

Suguha knew her feelings were unacceptable from the very beginning. She broke down this time because she had to deal with it twice over. Cut the poor girl some slack.

Yes, I am being cruel, but I just don't like her at all. It is too bad for her, but perhaps she should have thought about asking who Kirito was before getting too involved with him. That's her problem, now she has to deal w/ it. Cool
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
as powerful an epi it was they really packed in a lot. this is the rush to the finish of this season. get ready for nasty cliffhanger.

If that's a reference to something that's going to happen at the end of the series, I ask that you keep your mouth completely shut about it. No even vague hints. I seriously doubt that I'm the only one who wouldn't appreciate it.

And no, I don't want to see anything in spoiler tags about it, either. Unlike some people, I can't skip reading those, especially if a complaint comes up about it.

As for my thoughts on this episode, I think this time I'll wait until others who are generally on the more critical side weigh in before commenting. All I'll say at this point is: damn, dragon695, cynical much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As for my thoughts on this episode, I think this time I'll wait until others who are generally on the more critical side weigh in before commenting. All I'll say at this point is: damn, dragon695, cynical much?

What are you referring to? The first two of my points aren't cynical, they reflect my preferences in seeing characters having to struggle to earn their victories. I'm not going to rehash the debate: I simply feel like this episode did a better job of reflecting that preference. As for the third, why yes it is schadenfreude, but you know what? I really hate the imouto in this show and that trope in general. It's tired, it's lame, and I will celebrate seeing the downfall of the insert representing it. Based on some initial reactions elsewhere, I feel confident that I am not alone in this feeling.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

If that's a reference to something that's going to happen at the end of the series, I ask that you keep your mouth completely shut about it. No even vague hints. I seriously doubt that I'm the only one who wouldn't appreciate it.

And no, I don't want to see anything in spoiler tags about it, either. Unlike some people, I can't skip reading those, especially if a complaint comes up about it.

since i haven't read any novels or anything else its only speculation but with sales the way they are they need to keep people hooked for the inevitable next season don't they?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 163 of 274