• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Financial Shortfall Explained

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cary Deacon, President & COO of Navarre, explained that Funimation's core business of anime home video, which accounts for approximately 80% of the company's revenue, was performing "above expectations" in the anime sector, but very poorly in the non-anime sector.

Somehow, I'm not surprised.

Quote:
In terms of properties, Deacon stated that Funimation had invested in some children's (G rated for kids 12 and under) properties that had not performed as hoped. He pointed out that that market was performing poorly across the board with their competitors as well, pointing to 4Kids Entertainment, a company firmly rooted in the children's market. Going forward, they are re-directing Funimation back towards its core anime market (12+ age groups) which continues to perform well, and they have recently invested close to $8 million in license acquisitions. They expect to see results from that investment starting in their coming fiscal second quarter.

Hehe.

About the FUNimation Channel, I really don't think it's going to work if FUNi goes it alone. I mean, they can't air Dragonball Z or Fullmetal Alchemist because CN has the exclusive airing rights to both, which are their biggest properties. Personally, I think they should team up with other companies to create a decent line-up.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Funimation has a good idea of when the exclusive rights that they gave to Cartoon Network expire...

-t
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

About the FUNimation Channel, I really don't think it's going to work if FUNi goes it alone. I mean, they can't air Dragonball Z or Fullmetal Alchemist because CN has the exclusive airing rights to both, which are their biggest properties. Personally, I think they should team up with other companies to create a decent line-up.

Funimation has so many great shows and acquisitions though that have not been shown on TV.

IMHO, Basilisk would probably be better suited for the FUNI channel than Cartoon Network.

So basically, Funimation needs to keep their focus on the high quality anime they've been getting and drop all the kiddie crap?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:33 am Reply with quote
Whew, it's nice to see something like this posted, so people will quit overreacting to everything. Though I must say that ever since that last post I saw something like this coming. Read between the lines, I guess.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
Or if they were exclusive at all. Funimation may have retained the right to broadcast in the contract.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
Anime fans overreact?

Say it ain't so! Rolling Eyes
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
So it appears that the 'underperforming' had nothing to do with the MusicLand bankruptcy and that their anime titles are doing just fine.

I guess it's those CG shows that they include videos of with some DVDs that aren't doing well. Not suprising really.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I'm sure Funimation has a good idea of when the exclusive rights that they gave to Cartoon Network expire...

-t

And then what? CN's renewed DBZ constantly, and they're pretty much the ones responsible for making it huge. FUNi at least has some class (*cough4Kidscough*), so I don't expect them to pull the license anytime soon.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
It's good to hear that normal Anime is doing well; I'm not really surprised, though, at losses in CN broadcasts; FMA is about to end, DBZ is in cycling reruns, and FUNi has not licensed a huge show (26+) for CN syndication in a long time. With the coming of Viz Media and an almost 100% guarantee that all Shueisha properties (like the long expected Bleach) will go to Viz (because it's a subsidiary of Shueisha), there's not much in terms of long running shows to kick off another "DBZ" craze. FUNi's biggest shot at something like that would have been One Piece, which had the potential to overshadow Naruto, especially since we're pitting the two principle arcs of both series against each other (Chuunin Exam, Alabasta Arc).

In regard to non-Anime, that's not FUNi's forte; to my knowledge, they're sponsoring weird shows like "My dad the Rockstar" for Nickelodeon. I'm not surprised it's doing poorly. Maybe a pact simmilar to Mirage-4Kids form TMNT (possibly the best show in 4Kids history) could bring neutralize this slump.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1