• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Reader Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I"m wondering why there were only two choices for tablet devices: "Windows tablet" and "other (i.e. IPad)".

Android and IOS tablets share pretty much the same functions. They fill the same niche, and they're the same market. So I grouped them together.

Windows Tablets, especially the ones that run full Windows (not RT), are essentially laptops without keyboards. They're a completely different market.

-t
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
I love this website. It is the only anime website I make sure to visit everyday. I love all the features, especially ANNCast. The encyclopedia and the My ANN lists are my absolute favorite things about this site. I sometimes forget what I thought of a show until I see the rating I gave it. My one and only issue is this one that has already been mentioned:

Calathan wrote:
I love ANN's Encyclopedia and use it all the time. However, I've complained a few times about how slowly the queue of new submissions to the encyclopedia gets processed. Many things have been in the queue for years without being processed.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. I love you guys!
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Akito Kinomoto wrote:
What's the point of putting illegal streaming sites or torrent downloads as an option for watching anime? Is the ANN staff working with the feds? >_>

A couple years ago, my response to the question would've been primarily downloaded fansubs. Now, I marked that it's primarily DVDs and paid subscription sites (we use Netflix heavily). It's a good way to gauge how trends are shifting.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
The question asking about visual novels got me kinda pumped. I would love to see some visual novel reviews on here, especially since they tend to have a pretty bad track record when they finally get their anime adaptation. Though I do understand that the time required for a majority of those (10-50+ hrs) is much much more than what is necessary for shows/movies.

Edit: Oh... and I guess there really aren't too many of them that are legally available in English, nvm... Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Mr Sinister on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
My 2 cents on the criticisms:

I visit ANN fairly regularly, much more than I visit CR. The main reasons I come to ANN are:

(1) Reviews and written Editorial content

(2) Podcasts

(3) Forum discussions

(4) News

In all of these 4 areas, ANN is far superior to CR. CR is basically a video streaming site for me and that's about it. I don't pay attention to their interactive or informative features because there don't really seem to be much standards at CR which would make me feel that information I'd be receiving would be reliable. Conversely, I have some sense of confidence that the information I get at ANN is reliable, whether it comes from the staff or even participants in the forum.

I don't expect ANN to be my source for video streaming. CR isn't even my main source for video streaming, although I have watched several videos there. I've probably watched more videos on Funimation, Hulu, or Netflix than on CR. I think ANN is an excellent resource for written information on anime and discussions such as podcasts and forum talk. I also think ANN is very good about having columnists/staff who regularly interact with the website's readership, which fosters a more authentic feeling of community than you get at other places. So, i'm pretty happy with what I get at ANN, though if there is anything that could make it better, I would say more editorial content since I think that is where ANN shines the most.

On a different topic - something that's been bugging me for a little while - I'm an intellectual property attorney and I have been wondering about something regarding your trademark. I won't comment here but if someone wanted to PM me some time I could let you know my thought.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

Not that I would dramatically change everything here, but I'm REALLY looking forward to an eventual layout change (which Tempest kind of hinted to), and I strongly hope it's not going to be some minor tweaks. Visually (and navigability-wise), I feel like ANN is due for a major shake-up.

I don't think I'm telling tales out of school here when I say that this is definitely in the works!

Oh, awesome! I haven't seen the beta myself so this may be entirely redundant or outdated, but I'd love to see the site adopt a tabloid-style front page where (bear with me) the article feed isn't listed chronologically, but instead follows a "trending" format. Most online mainstream news sites follow a format similar to this (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.) with a chronological feed also featured in a smaller column. I think this would benefit readers, as the popular discussion articles would stay near the top, while items with less interest no longer pushing them down the feed. It also helps the writing staff gauge what topics to focus on in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
More stuff to do with manga would be nice, I'm more of a manga person myself. However, I know this is mostly an anime website, so it's not a big issue for me that you don't cover it that much (compared to anime).

I enjoy the podcast a lot, though I miss the Justin and Zac just chatting for 10 mins that used to be on nearly every podcast but now only happens occasionally (is this because Justin is too busy?). I'd also be interested in a few more episodes about manga.

The stream is my favourite column, I kinda hope that you'll find someone else to do shelf-life so that Bamboo can go back to doing the stream twice a month.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
"Are you interested in someday going to Japan?"

...Kind of hard to answer Yes or No when you're living in Japan. ^^;

I'd think you'd have a highly informed and clear opinion on the topic. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I really only come here for anime related news items. Just to see whats going on in the world of anime. In this regaurd this is the only site I knew of to get some of the newer information on anime.

I use wiki for japan sites since I can not read of speak japanese but my chrome makes some of the sites easy to understand. I would love for someone to create a full translator for sites that can not be translated by chrome due to a image on the screen.

I goto Hulu and Cruchyroll and Funimation and theanimenetwork.com for streams as well aniplexs site. I was sad to see Bandai-ent got and Geneon go as well to losses. Sentai-film works seems to have picked up the slack. I was really unhappy when Media-blasters went under who will pick up such great shows like squid girl and strawberry panic and many other intresting titles.

I love the news format this site offers mainly the news on anime not into the reviews so much. Anime is just personal in that way. Its much like the dub and sub debates fans get into.

I like Crunchyrolls format as well but enjoy it for its simpistic ease of use and the new anime posted! So glad they got to go legit and make a profit showing it can be done! go anime!

here is to a new year of great releases and some rescues! someone out there please pick up Squid Girl for a notrh american release!
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the anime site with nearly 5,000 active members and over 200,000 total, I see.

I would have liked some questions about the various parts of ANN, like specific columns. I also ended up having to enter zero for purchases since I probably average 3-4 per year. Asking about preferences for dubs versus subs might have been informative, too. I've wondered whether the growth of Crunchyroll has reduced the demand for dubbed releases over the last couple of years. I rarely watch dubs so I'm happy with CR. My last couple of purchases like Usagi Drop and Kurenai were sub-only as well.

I'm largely here only for the forums. If I see a Talkback item that relates to something that interests me, I'll read the original column. Otherwise I just click the item in my favorites list that takes me here.

And I agree with potatochobit, a seven-year-old version of phpBB is defintely clunky. I hate having to click twice to post. Creating links is a pain as well since you have to position the cursor in just the right location to type the URL into the initial tag. As someone with "old eyes" I generally have to zoom the font size just so I can insure that I put the "=" and URL into the correct part of the tag. Just spend a little money and license vBulletin already. Heck, even Simple Machines Forum is classier that what you have here now.

By the way, are the answers to the questions tied to our usernames when you look at the results, or are all the records anonymous? I certainly think you should tell us whether identifying personal information is passed along when posting. The absence of demographic questions made me think that you might not be anonymizing the responses as you should.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
What I hate is Cloudflare. That thing has always pissed me off and continues to do so (albeit with less frequency).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
No mention of the anime site with nearly 5,000 active members and over 200,000 total, I see.

I have no idea what site you're referring to.

Quote:
By the way, are the answers to the questions tied to our usernames when you look at the results, or are all the records anonymous? I certainly think you should tell us whether identifying personal information is passed along when posting. The absence of demographic questions made me think that you might not be anonymizing the responses as you should.
Nope, just didn't care about demos...
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Perhaps you are dissembling, but if not, it's the one I cannot link to or name here. Its initials are AS.

What about the privacy issue? Do you anonymize the responses?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Its initials are AS.

And ends in -uki, if I'm not mistaken.

I used to go there all the time. I don't anymore, but it is a huge and active site that probably should have been listed.

However, there was the option on the survey to manually add a site, so it's not like people were completely unable to select it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Perhaps you are dissembling, but if not, it's the one I cannot link to or name here. Its initials are AS.

What about the privacy issue? Do you anonymize the responses?

Now you are making ANN sound like the Illuminati. There are lots of anime sites out there, why would ANN know your quoted bit torrent site has a teeming anime fan base. I have been there a couple of times over the years, but I had no idea it was that large.

I used to roam around HongFire for awhile before I found ANN. They didn't show up either. I was actually surprised to see Sankaku Complex included, so that was nice.

The AS (bit torrent site) and HongFire both have been around for a long time, but not everyone in the anime community know they exist or what they offer. So I can't see blaming ANN for them not being included, or implying that they are up to some secret blacklisting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9