• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Reader Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas, AS is far more than a bittorrent site. Their Forum is far more active than ANN's Forum is, for example.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
TarsTarkas, AS is far more than a bittorrent site. Their Forum is far more active than ANN's Forum is, for example.

It's a bittorrent site. That's why it isn't in the survey.

"Bittorrent site with a thriving community" does not mean it isn't a bittorrent site.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The AS (bit torrent site) and HongFire both have been around for a long time, but not everyone in the anime community know they exist or what they offer. So I can't see blaming ANN for them not being included, or implying that they are up to some secret blacklisting.

I'm pretty sure that the people running ANN know what their biggest competitors are. I'm sure it has more to do with not wanting to give a link to a site that has illegal material than not knowing about them.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling no one even uses that site for BitTorrent anymore. It only listed unlicensed series and that hasn't changed but today with so many series being licensed for streaming, the torrent aspect of the site is pretty much dead.

It's really just a large anime discussion forum. I don't think it needed to be mentioned on the survey but I do think perceptions of the site are a bit off.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well Zac, offering bittorrents does not preclude it from having a bigger and more active community than ANN.

I thought ANN wanted to know which Anime-related websites its users visited. Kind of seems pointless if you don't include a very active and popular website just because it offers bittorrents. Tell me, how does offering bittorrents make the site irrelevant?

Oh, and as Maidenoftheredhand has already said; they don't list licensed series. Where's the problem then?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well Zac, offering bittorrents does not preclude it from having a bigger and more active community than ANN.

I thought ANN wanted to know which Anime-related websites its users visited. Kind of seems pointless if you don't include a very active and popular website just because it offers bittorrents. Tell me, how does offering bittorrents make the site irrelevant?

Oh, and as Maidenoftheredhand has already said; they don't list licensed series. Where's the problem then?

Nobody said the site was irrelevant, but it is a bittorrent destination. I myself haven't looked at it in years; had no idea it had such an active community. But then, I didn't write the survey.

Please don't see conspiracy where there is none.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nobody said the site was irrelevant, but it is a bittorrent destination.

Sigh.

I would ask yet again why the fact that it's a bittorrent site means it should be barred from being listed. However as you pointed out you did not write the survey, so I guess you can't provide that answer.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Anime-Suki's forums are a convoluted mess. It actually suffers from too much organization.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Nobody said the site was irrelevant, but it is a bittorrent destination.

Sigh.

I would ask yet again why the fact that it's a bittorrent site means it should be barred from being listed. However as you pointed out you did not write the survey, so I guess you can't provide that answer.

Because downloading anime, whether licensed or unlicensed, is illegal and ANN does not support illegal activity?

ANN has a lot of sponsors that are licensing companies. I doubt those companies would like to continue working with ANN if they start linking or mentioning sites where people can download series that the company may be looking into licensing in the future.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
School surveys of the sexual health and experiences of teenagers still ask the question "are you a virgin" (or words to that effect) to teenagers who are not yet of the age of consent. Just because something is illegal does not mean it should be ignored when you are trying to collect data.

I guess a better point would be that earlier in the survey ANN asked all the ways you watch Anime, and (IIRC) two of the answers was fansubs/rips and illegal stream sites. If ANN really did not want to mention bittorrents then why were illegal methods acceptable as answers?

I don't want to be seen to be making a big deal out of this, since I don't even go to AS anymore except when following a link someone posted on another Forum or whatever. But the strangeness of the situation baffles me, so that's why I'm curious.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I guess a better point would be that earlier in the survey ANN asked all the ways you watch Anime, and (IIRC) two of the answers was fansubs/rips and illegal stream sites. If ANN really did not want to mention bittorrents then why were illegal methods acceptable as answers?

I think mentioning illegal activities and mentioning specifically where those illegal activities can be done is different.

To use an example similar to yours, asking, "Do you have sex with minor children?" and "Do you go to _____ to have sex with minor children?" are very different.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I think mentioning illegal activities and mentioning specifically where those illegal activities can be done is different.

I get where you're coming from but it's not like it's even remotely difficult to find pirated anime. Anyone can google anime torrent or anime fansub and immediately find multiple places to get them. By the time someone realizes bittorent/fansubs are a thing, they're 90% of the way to finding them if they so desire. So yeah, I don't really see a big difference between including piracy as an option and mentioning a specific torrent site.

(Not that this is a big deal either way of course. It just seems to me that you might as well throw it on the list).
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
The survey is closed already? That seems a bit fast...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

It's a bittorrent site. That's why it isn't in the survey.

"Bittorrent site with a thriving community" does not mean it isn't a bittorrent site.

Personally I haven't visited the torrent listing part of animesuki in almost ~5 years. I go straight to forums.animesu... etc.

Even the devs there considering the torrent listing and forums as two separate entities, so I don't agree with calling the forums "a bittorrent site".
Even the users agree, if you go to the "torrent submission" sub forum it barely gets 1 post a month.
The "fansub group" subforum has been effectively dead for more than a year.

Animesuki's forums have nearly no mentions of torrenting anymore, and have strict rules about talking about torrents of anything which is licensed (which is almost everything these days).
There's actually far more discussion of illegal ways to watch anime on sites like myanimelist, even though those sites don't list any torrents.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
There's actually far more discussion of illegal ways to watch anime on sites like myanimelist, even though those sites don't list any torrents.

MyAnimeList even has user ratings for each fansub group for an anime, even those that are licensed, and it tells you their site (with a link) to go to find the subs. Their reasoning was something like "Fansubs are too ingrained in the anime culture to ignore them".

Thats probably just as bad as AS is these days, since AS only does non licensed shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9