• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Announce New License at Katsucon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Noein or Bleach?
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone says it, Lance indicated over on the Toon Zone forums that the announcement not "Beck". In his words:

"It's a title lots of people like but it's not going to be a knockout blockbuster show."

My guess (and hope): "Monster". God, I hope so...
Dream24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Whatever the show is, I hope it's a good one.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Before anyone says it, Lance indicated over on the Toon Zone forums that the announcement not "Beck". In his words:

"It's a title lots of people like but it's not going to be a knockout blockbuster show."

yeah that's also a possibly, but it's not really their style.

"Air" is another possibility

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
hopefully not bleach i want viz to get that.

....why? Most of the fans I know of series list Viz immediately after 4Kids as the last company they'd like to see it licensed by. Viz has an okay track record for manga (which some fans I know of their titles would say otherwise), but not the greatest reputation for anime. What would be wrong with someone like ADV, Funi, Bandai, or Geneon picking up Bleach?
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
i dont think funi would do good on bleach it's not really there kind of anime they liscence not saying it would suck though funi wouldent kill the show but i just like viz only funi titles i like are detective conan,FMA,and some of DBZ but air would be awsome if they got it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Why do people keep saying Bleach? I don't know how many times this has been said around here, but Viz technically has the US distribution rights to the entire Bleach property (manga, anime, characters, games, plushies, condoms, etc.) because Viz is part of Shueisha.

FMA movie maybe?
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
that would be cool if it was the fma movie but i dont think funi is going to get bleach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's one of the "C&D" anime. Wink
Dexo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope Viz gets Bleach...but I think that it will be Black Cat or Beck which they announce...
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
i don't think funi would do good on bleach it's not really there kind of anime they liscence not saying it would suck though funi wouldent kill the show but i just like viz only funi titles i like are detective conan,FMA,and some of DBZ but air would be awsome if they got it.

"Not their kind of anime" after you list series like FMA and DBZ? Bleach is exactly "their kind of anime"- Funi has licensed quite a few shounen titles, including other long-running Jump titles as DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Even so, due to Viz being all cozy with Shueisha, it's probably unlikely Funi would get Bleach.

I think all of the anime named in that C&D letter have been announced by now, actually.

Random, complete shot in the dark guess: School Rumble, maybe? Though the FMA movie's a possibility, but if they said "new" anime probably it's something else...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:

I so hope you are right that would be freaking awesome. But I kinda want Geneon to get it don't ask why I just thought that they did a great job with Last Exile. Just the fact that Monster is coming stateside, is enough to make me all gitty.
Although FMA movie does make sense it seems early to announce this since the series is not even finish being released in R1. I believe Viz has bleach so it's not that, otherwise I have no idea what it could be. I have not been into any of the show that have been airing this season (other than blood). Air seems like a popular choice, I personally have not seen this show but it does get high marks from everyone I've spoke to about it. Exciting news can't wait till manana.....
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
icepick314

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
aaaah....the suspense!!!

i guess we should act like bunch of good boys and girls and wait for it....

Funimation is sure going for good licenses lately....

ADV is running out of money, perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
I doubt FUNimation will license Bleach for two reasons; firstly, Shueisha apparently isn't as partial to the company as we may have believed, because despite the success of DBZ in the West, Shueisha chose 4Kids over FUNimation as distributers of One Piece. [i]Why[/i] escapes me, though; perhaps the issue could be something to do with FUNimation as an evolving company. They've been focusing less on the long episode series division and focusing more on high quality, standard-sized serials. Aside from FUNimation and 4Kids (Viz Comm. catered to young adult audiences), I can't really imagine any company willing to produce something like One Piece, and if FUNimation dropped out of the pursuit of the OP license, the show would go to 4Kids.

A note that that One Piece was the last Shounen property before the formation of Viz Media, with ShoPro as the new main distributer of said shows. Since Viz is owned by Shueisha, I cannot help but see [i]all[/i] Shounen Jump properties go to them; where else? Why risk another One Piece and incur huge losses when Shueisha can pull another Naruto? I will admit that Studio Pierrot isn't as politically conscious regarding taste for Western audiences in regard to Bleach (people misinterpret manji as associated with the Nazis, excessive blood), but even if Viz were to edit Bleach for Toonami and not Adult Swim, it would still do massively well; greater than 4Kids.tv, anyway.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
Bleach is a long running series, not done yet (hell, it just reached 69 this week) and its most likely going to Viz anyway. So, i doubt Funi will get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5