• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I.G Reveals Gargantia in the Verdurous Planet Anime's Story, Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Looks promising, it's like Aria with a mecha twist.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
That boy has a really sexy suit.

I'm not gay...
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Definitely worth a try, I certainly like the talent helming the thing. I'm hoping they're gonna have the pilot delving into the ocean with that mecha of his.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Apparently really short skirts and shorts are an important staple of Earth's future female inhabitants. Wink
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Definitely showing some promise. I'll keep an eye out for this one.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Apparently really short skirts and shorts are an important staple of Earth's future female inhabitants. Wink

We'll it's not set on earth but on a waterworld, so maybei t's a bit warmer. What interests me is these messengers. They seem to be delivery girls like the Mirror's Edge character in the PS3 game.

Still, the characters look way to cheerful for something Gen would do.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
We'll it's not set on earth but on a waterworld, so maybei t's a bit warmer.

Did you read the article? It says:

Quote:
Redo realizes that he has arrived on Earth, the planet on the lost frontier. On this planet that was completely flooded by the seas, people live in fleets of giant ships, salvaging relics from the seas' depths in order to survive.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:
Looks promising, it's like Aria with a mecha twist.

It is Urobochi we are talking here, expect most of them to be dead by the end of the series (and those will be the lucky ones).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, really getting interested in giving this a shot and I'm loving the artstyle at least in art form and the idea of the giant scavenging ships with the cities seemingly built onto them, and that staff listed is making me quite excited to see what this is, so I'm glad they're already describing it as a scifi adventure series.

The character designs are really attractive looking, hopefully they make a successful transition to the animation, though I'm pretty confident with this being Production I.G.

That mecha the main character has with him looks really cool too.

Yeah with Urobuchi involved I can't really see this remaining slice-of-life/peaceful, at least after the introduction is over, definitely expect at least part of the war to come to this Earth or perhaps something under the ocean will lead to the conflict.

Good point, I think it would be good if these messengers are like that. Amy looks pretty cute (as do the others), hopefully she's also pretty competent too and can hold her own in larger situations and how she moves in "action situations" with that messenger background like that.

Bellows looks really nice and pleasantly reminds me of Yoko from that image of her thanks to her outfit, red hair and fun expression.

Also especially kind of glad to hear that the Earth the main character goes to is still using tech and the detail that Bellow is some kind of mecha pilot for her scavenging (even if it's described as an industrial one in her case) and therefore it doesn't seem like it's just an overly primitive setting even if it's not as advanced as the where the main character comes from. Sounds really interesting and promising.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Definitely worth a try, I certainly like the talent helming the thing. I'm hoping they're gonna have the pilot delving into the ocean with that mecha of his.

Is it rare for mecha to able to operate both on land and underwater? I ask since 1. I haven't seen much mecha anime therefore, know little about them and 2. the few that I have seen are usually able to transition from space to air (or is it atmosphere?) to land but not into water.

Since this series takes place on an Earth that's mainly underwater, I wonder if the creators will factor this in?

Also, I like his suit; looks like a jacket combined with tights in some sort of spandex-like fabric.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:

Quote:
Redo realizes that he has arrived on Earth, the planet on the lost frontier. On this planet that was completely flooded by the seas, people live in fleets of giant ships, salvaging relics from the seas' depths in order to survive.

Unless Earth was struck at some point by a incredibly massive ice-bearing comet (which would be an extinction level event itself), blatant scientific inaccuracy rears its ugly head once again.

You could melt all ice on the planet and anything from about 200 feet above sea level and higher would still be dry land. That still leaves the majority of land high and dry.

It also would expose vast tracts of land (such as all of Antarctica, most of which is far above sea level) that are currently covered in ice.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
A Waterworld?

Redo hero's name should be "Reload" and his weapon still be "Chamber." Laughing

JohnnySake wrote:

I thought Star Trek already foresaw that? Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Unless Earth was struck at some point by a incredibly massive ice-bearing comet (which would be an extinction level event itself), blatant scientific inaccuracy rears its ugly head once again.

How about a billion tons comet made out of water breaking into 3275 Tunguska class impacts mostly over the pacific ocean?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna hold off on this one and read reviews. Looks too harem-ish.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm gonna hold off on this one and read reviews. Looks too harem-ish.

I was really digging the concept... until I saw the Character section. I hope it isn't a harem show because I'm always up for some science fiction
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4