• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Sues Level 5, Seeks to Block Inazuma Eleven Game Sales

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
So they patented a way to poke the DS? Why does that sound like so much BS?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
So they patented a way to poke the DS? Why does that sound like so much BS?

Probably because the patent system is a big load of corrupt BS.

This is almost as stupid as Apple having a "design patent" on a rectangular box with rounded corners...
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Another reason why patents are total bullshit. As if someone else could not have thought of it. Just about every developer would end up violating such a patent if asked how would you design swiping patterns to intuitively control your players.

That's in Japan, but in related news, the USPTO may be getting just a little bit more sense, perhaps after so many idiotic lawsuits:
USPTO may invalidate another of Apple's key multitouch patents
Quote:
US Patent #7,479,949, claiming a "[t]ouch screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics," essentially covers iOS's ability to respond when a user is trying to scroll vertically in a document, or trying to move around within the document in multiple directions. It also covers iOS's ability to discern the difference between swiping among images in a gallery, or panning or zooming within the image.

The patent is sometimes referred to as the "Steve Jobs patent," as Jobs' name is listed first among the many Apple engineers cited as inventors of the patented claims.

Ironically, this is the same patent that has been successfully used against other players, including Samsung. Since most of Japan has followed the US in IP and legal frameworks, hopefully they can also pick up some of the good with the bad, instead of the just bad currently, and follow suit and start invalidating patents as well.

(Although what's really needed is complete overthrow of IP as non-property; failing that, as least some serious reform given to logic and rational considerations, rather than nitpicking a few obvious patents to invalidate)
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Well if this is how the game is played Nintendo should sue Sony for........ Everything! I mean EVERYTHING Those guys can't get there own Ideas to save there lives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Well if this is how the game is played Nintendo should sue Sony for........ Everything! I mean EVERYTHING Those guys can't get there own Ideas to save there lives.

That is hardly the case, but good try, but let's leave the console fanboy arguments out of this. I definitely do not want to see a console war erupting because of some unsupported jab from one console to another in spite of neither of them being part of this suit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Kabushiki Kaisha SEGA is a VERY conservatitive Japanese gaming brand thats stuffy and quite testy when it comes to their ideas,properties and licenses. A lawsuit from them is rare which means they probably have a perfect legit reason for doing so.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope Level-5 is able to stand up to a big corporation like Sega; they're one of my favorite game developers, and it would suck if they went under from something stupid like this.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I hope Level-5 is able to stand up to a big corporation like Sega; they're one of my favorite game developers, and it would suck if they went under from something stupid like this.

Sega at this point is a shell of it's former self, this seems to be really desperate on Sega's part considering how badly they are doing.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Sega at this point is a shell of it's former self, this seems to be really desperate on Sega's part considering how badly they are doing.

NO. You ARE WRONG.

Very WRONG.

SEGA has been quietly re-organizing all year long. They have 38.2 billion yen in assets($29 billion) and have earned enough capital to return to hardware manufacturing with $3.5 billion in cash.

(Facepalms.) Why do people think all they do is make games?

http://trademarks.justia.com/855/17/orbi-85517210.html

Last edited by GrilledEelHamatsu on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

You are crying over spilled milk. $11 million is no big deal. Let alone a small developer worth over $500 million.

Like I said, SEGA rarely sues other companies. So they probably have a case.

Trust me, if Dreamcast's rights have been protected during Wii(they refiled its patents during 2007) SEGA would relentlessly went after Nintendo, since alot of Wii's ideas were stolen from Dreamcast.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Ans this ladies an gentlemen its the true pupose of patents...

So much stupidity and retardants.

The same applies to copyright.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

That is hardly the case, but good try, but let's leave the console fanboy arguments out of this. I definitely do not want to see a console war erupting because of some unsupported jab from one console to another in spite of neither of them being part of this suit.

Thank you so much for nipping in this bud now... dear lord it's annoying after a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Ans this ladies an gentlemen its the true pupose of patents...

So much stupidity and retardants.

The same applies to copyright.

SEGA is very rigid when it comes to its patents. Also, mostly SEGA's patent descriptions are vague so Level 5 may have unwittingly filed a fig simlar to Sega's.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of hard to sit here and say Level-5 didn't violate the patent when controlling players in Inazuma Eleven looks like this:

Which is incredibly similar to the visual aids SEGA had with their patent. Now whether or not SEGA should have been given a patent like that in the first place is another conversation. Personally, I do think it's a ridiculous patent.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It's kind of hard to sit here and say Level-5 didn't violate the patent when controlling players in Inazuma Eleven looks like this:

Which is incredibly similar to the visual aids SEGA had with their patent. Now whether or not SEGA should have been given a patent like that in the first place is another conversation. Personally, I do think it's a ridiculous patent.

Who knows? Like I said,SEGA's patent descriptions are notoriously vague & convoluted. You can never really tell what they are because their descriptions are so non-discrete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4