• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods' Full Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Why take it down again?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to if/when it gets a dub. I don't know how it takes place 'several years' after Buu's defeat when Trunks and Goten look the same as they did when it happened. I'd say it takes place months after that.

Last edited by TopGunman on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
shouldn't the title be God of Gods? Why Battle of Gods?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Cha-La! Head Cha-La!

Yes, I am incredibly excited for this. "Dragon Ball Z" was a major part of my entire childhood, and is still the greatest Shonen action series ever crafted. Imagining Goku, Vegeta and Co. duking it out with new animation, new music, and CGI effects is enough to make me scream out in joy. Now hurry up, FUNimation, license this! I'll buy 20 copies!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation are surely all over this?!
If they licensed this asap and got it dubbed around the same time as released in Japan, it would surely warrant a small cinema run followed by HUGE DVD/BD sales later down the line!
It's a no brainer!
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The scariest part of the trailer? The fact that 20th Century Fox is helping produce the movie. o.o
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
shouldn't the title be God of Gods? Why Battle of Gods?

Like some other anime movies (and even series, lately), this particular movie is being promoted in Japan with both a Japanese AND an English title. They're similar, but they're not exactly the same.

The Japanese title is 神と神 or Kami to Kami, which literally just means "God and God". The English title is "Battle of Gods". Both the Japanese and the English titles are present in the movie's logo, as well.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
meh, I'm not really excited about this movie. I know people are super excited because Toriyama was involved with the story, but the story looks like a hot mess and the trailer made the movie look gimmicky in the worse way. Toriyama's involvement has done little to make this movie more appealing, though that's not surprising considering the guy hasn't really done anything new for this franchise in over 2 decades and the last two arcs he penned were only really because his hand was forced by executive meddling. I dunno, I wish I could feel more excited for this, but I just don't. It doesn't look like a good movie.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Highly anticipating it, but question is, if this happens after the buu saga, why the hell is Goku not fighting in SS3 mode????

I will be disappointed if I dont see his badass SS3 transformation.

Apollo-kun wrote:
Cha-La! Head Cha-La!

Yes, I am incredibly excited for this. "Dragon Ball Z" was a major part of my entire childhood, and is still the greatest Shonen action series ever crafted. Imagining Goku, Vegeta and Co. duking it out with new animation, new music, and CGI effects is enough to make me scream out in joy.

This so much. Specially those of us that grew up with it feel like this. I would also label it best shounen but tied with OP (objectively OP is probbaly superior), same as best shounen protagonist ever, Goku tied with Luffy.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
but the story looks like a hot mess and the trailer made the movie look gimmicky in the worse way.

I'm really curious what you mean. What about it looks like a mess? What looks gimmicky?

dan9999 wrote:
Highly anticipating it, but question is, if this happens after the buu saga, why the hell is Goku not fighting in SS3 mode????

Some of the promotional figures for the movie include Super Saiyan 3 Goku. Not necessarily a concrete confirmation, but it's something.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Looking forward to if/when it gets a dub. I don't know how it takes place 'several years' after Buu's defeat when Trunks and Goten look the same as they did when it happened. I'd say it takes place months after that.

If i remember correctly, Vegeta said that sayains is aging slower than humans.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Really interested, especially when Goku stares down the villain in space. That's so cool.

Imagine if it got a simultaneous release in Japan and America? Unlikely, but it would be awesome.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Dat 20th Century Fox logo.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Some of the promotional figures for the movie include Super Saiyan 3 Goku. Not necessarily a concrete confirmation, but it's something.[/quote]

I will hold onto that then.

Hawkwing wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

If i remember correctly, Vegeta said that sayains is aging slower than humans.

No, saiyans age very slow once they reach adulthood, Vegeta says this clearly once they see each again after 10 years of the Buu fight, I think, when Bulma then complains that Goku and Vegeta have changed 0 or extremely little after so much time, Vegeta then says they remain young longer to perform well in battle.

Just refer to Gohan, he ages normally, as any human in DBZ. And while not cannon in GT after another 10 years pass you can see he still looks the same as he did 10 years prior, in accordance with their prolonged youth.

My bet is the summary is just wrong and it actually happes within months or a year after the Buu fight.

Last edited by dan9999 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, most DBZ movies go the same way. Goku will probably only go SSJ1 the first time he fights the Movie Only Villain, thinking that should be enough, and get his ass kicked easily. Then in the rematch, SSJ2 until it proves ineffective, and then finally SSJ3 which will obliterate MOV. If he just went SSJ3 from the start, it would save him a lot of grief, but hey, it would be a short movie.

I'm hoping for a little variety, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2