• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drawing anime characters.....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering, since we're all anime freaks, how many of you guys out there draw your favorite anime characters? Or do you try to draw something similar to an anime character that you have seen?

The closest thing I can draw is probably Pikachu.....(so old)
Ihateverything

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I TRY to draw my favorite Anime characters.....but it really doesn't work out at all, so I just draw my own and I do pretty good well at least I think they look good. But I only draw when I see something good and I get an idea in my head of what I am drawing but If I sit there and try I screw up real bad Crying or Very sad
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to draw in an anime style. I don't really feel simply like copying from another artists style. I just wanna develope my own style thats influenced by anime. What I usually do, even though it kind of contradicts what I earlier said is copy from an artist that already has his or her style developed from anime. Mostly, the work of Vinnie Veritas. You guys probably know him from his awesome flash movies on Newgrounds Rush++, Hoy Te Amo, and Papalote ++. I've been drawing his characters over and over again until I get the character down free hand and without looking at the picture. Even the creator of Naruto said that he just drew dragonball characters (I think, unless it was gundam) when he first wanted to draw.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
I'm still trying to draw in an anime style. I don't really feel simply like copying from another artists style. I just wanna develope my own style thats influenced by anime. What I usually do, even though it kind of contradicts what I earlier said is copy from an artist that already has his or her style developed from anime. Mostly, the work of Vinnie Veritas. You guys probably know him from his awesome flash movies on Newgrounds Rush++, Hoy Te Amo, and Papalote ++. I've been drawing his characters over and over again until I get the character down free hand and without looking at the picture. Even the creator of Naruto said that he just drew dragonball characters (I think, unless it was gundam) when he first wanted to draw.

i started on gundams as well, when i first decided i wanted to draw anime inspired stuff. i can now draw any gundam (even some of my own Wink ) almost perfectly, however....i can NOT draw..the eyes. You know, the generic huge anime eyes, for examples, see AIR TV, eye's like Misuzu's. I always thought that was the cutest way to draw eyes, i can do bodies and everything else no problem however...whenever i do eyes, they are lopsided, weak, and generally crappy. So, i just draw characters with either glasses, goggles, or masks if i ever draw something that's human that is...

oh, and i've taken every art course i could from middle and up until now in highschool, so that helped alot too (especially some of the later courses, studio art didn't teach me much i didn't already know. Drawing II is pretty useful though for any who wanna make art of their own.)
sakura urameshi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I have been drawing anime characters for a while now I really like to draw characters from Inuyasha,Fullmetal Alchemist, ranma 1/2 ,marmalade boy and fruits basket.I also draw some from mangas,like hot gimmick,hana-kimi and so on.I have finally gotten better at doing backgrounds for my pics so now they look much better.I'm now drawing my own characters and I want make them into a manga style once I think of a good story line to go with them Very Happy
sindwendler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
i can now draw any gundam (even some of my own Wink ) almost perfectly, however....i can NOT draw..the eyes.

Man, I can sympathize with you. I can get down a human form just fine... then those eyes... especially a females, I find male eyes easier. If I didn't have to make the females look cute (damn lashes), I would be set. Crying or Very sad I mean, you almost expect the male characters to have less detail in them (not only that, its probably o.k. for the male character to have less detail.) For that reason, I try to get the female characters just right before moving on to males (although I'm still pretty bad with females that have long hair, or hair extensions.)

I do a wicked Kotori (Da Capo S2, the hat on Kototri was hard as heck) and Suzuka (Suzuka.)
Satanachia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
the only way i can draw anime is by looking at picture. even when it's finished it looks like my dog can do better.
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
I started drawing anime-related stuff about 8 years ago when I started drawing fanart for FF7. Now pretty much every day I draw anime characters for at least an hour (out of boredom in classes), but it's still is pretty hard to draw decent original characters...especially with different poses. Here's a couple fanarts (not originals) I drew a few months back since I've been so busy/lazy lately. The images are all thumbnailed.
Samurai X OVA (Kenshin):

FMA (Edward):

Bleach (Shinigamis):

Nothing special...I'm pretty weak at using colors too (or just haven't tried, at least). There are some pretty awesome fanarts out there that just make me think "hmm...why bother trying..."
Here's a random original I drew (I have notebook filled with random sketches). Note each drawing is drawn in only like 1-5 minutes since I use pen and a "kamikaze" approach...because I want to be able to draw perfectly without messing up once eventually.

Meh, it's an amateur and really bare-bones drawing. I'm going to keep trying until I develop a style I really like someday.
HetBaasje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote

Full view Click Link Below
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spunky44/fullwallpaper_lowres.jpg

It's not my favorite character but i draw manga Smile
I even got a wacom tablet, not an expensive one but its nice.

Sad It's a bit large mayby this will disturb the thread, but i don't hope so
don'tlookbehindyou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:27 am Reply with quote
I try to draw anime characterseveryonce in awhile but I am so horrible. The faces usually turn out ok but hands and feet always look so bad.Embarassed And I have no talent with shadows so they always look flat. Sad But it is fun to do though and I'm getting sort of better.

By the way Hetbaase and Fui your guys stuff looks great. I'm in awe. Shocked
HetBaasje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
I made this one,, For the thread..

^^

for al the naruto Fans
Don't ask me why she doesn't wear pants , its kind of stupid but i experienced alot.

Luminal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
I started drawing anime-related stuff about 8 years ago when I started drawing fanart for FF7. Now pretty much every day I draw anime characters for at least an hour (out of boredom in classes), but it's still is pretty hard to draw decent original characters...especially with different poses. Here's a couple fanarts (not originals) I drew a few months back since I've been so busy/lazy lately. The images are all thumbnailed.
Samurai X OVA (Kenshin):

FMA (Edward):

Bleach (Shinigamis):

Nothing special...I'm pretty weak at using colors too (or just haven't tried, at least). There are some pretty awesome fanarts out there that just make me think "hmm...why bother trying..."
Here's a random original I drew (I have notebook filled with random sketches). Note each drawing is drawn in only like 1-5 minutes since I use pen and a "kamikaze" approach...because I want to be able to draw perfectly without messing up once eventually.

Meh, it's an amateur and really bare-bones drawing. I'm going to keep trying until I develop a style I really like someday.

You are quite talented!

Luminal
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Is this thread slowly turning into a "show us your artwork" thread? Cause if so, that's cool, just don't know if the mods or admins will allow it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Is this thread slowly turning into a "show us your artwork" thread? Cause if so, that's cool, just don't know if the mods or admins will allow it.

It's OK, at least for me. It gives everyone the opportunity to show off their art skills or be wowed by others. I'm pretty sure there was a thread just like this, but it was at least several months ago and I have no clue where it is in the archives Anime dazed.
siddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ok i draw some myself to so i show you one picture only i don't have a scanner so i taked a picture with my webcam so it's not that good to see but its Nyuu from Elfen Lied.
But can somebody tell me how i put a picture on it ? Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3