• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki on Cartoon Network Air Dates

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how badly they'll have to butcher Mononoke to get it on at the 7:30 time slot.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
That's no lie, I'm thinking of several scenes just off the top of my head that'd need to be removed for Mononoke to be safe to be aired on CN in the first place...it'll actually be kinda interesting to see how they'll handle it honestly....
naushika

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
I wonder how badly they'll have to butcher Mononoke to get it on at the 7:30 time slot.

Same goes for Nausicaa. Excellent movie, but it would be a shame for them to remove some of the blood and fighting. Also, does the Disney dub have any swearing? Just wondering...I've only seen it subbed.

But, minor quabbles aside, I'm thrilled that Miyazaki's movies will be on CN (and at a popular time slot too). Smile This will definitely expose some kids out there to the stuff they're missing in the animation world--stuff outside the crap that Disney and Dreamworks have been churning out these days. Rolling Eyes
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Mononoke but not Nausicaa so I can't really speak for it but with the way that Naruto has been treated on toonami, and the fact that they allowed a few episodes of the uncut DBZ on at 7:30, I would say that chances are fair that it will get fair treatment in the editing department, though I would have liked to have better seen something like Mononoke on Adult Swim. Could have given it a sort of bit of class in my opinion. Not to say that Adult Swim doesnt have class, but it does seem to cater more to the uncouth, more crass end of the spectrum.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well theres a rumor even said n the Toonami Wiki,that Due to miyazaki's policy not to have his films altered,they'll be shown Uncut... Ye-ah.. I'll believe that when I see it
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
They wont be allowed to edit anything.
emory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:

It's going to air with a TV-14 V. I think it'll be okay.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
They wont be allowed to edit anything.

Though I'd be interested to see the uproar on the part of the movies' rights holders if Cartoon Network tried, though. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Acording to the ANN encyclopedia, Princess Mononoke is rated for teens and up. Slap a TV-14 sticker on it and it'll be alright, that's what they did for Batman.
tomcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
What Great and wonderful news that even more people will have a chance to see these Anime classics!! But wheres Totoro!!! wheres is Whisper ot the Heart!! and what about Kiki's Delivery Service!! or Porco Rosso!!, and Pompoko??!!
Stueypark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
So Spirited Away will be on Cartoon Network on March 18 and then exactly a week later will shown again on TCM, interesting.
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
They already aired Spirited Away on CN once, and it was uncut from what I saw.
tomcat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
When Spritied Away (e-dub) aired on TCM on my cable system it was out of synch so much so that I couldn't bear watching it then. While the Japanese repeat later was just fine. Maybe I wasn't the only one with a problem that night. But then maybe TCM is going to be airring Stuido Ghibli regularly? ( I hope )
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They already aired Spirited Away on CN once, and it was uncut from what I saw.

Yeah but Spirited Away didn't have the violence that Princess Mononoke had. You've got limbs coming off, decapitation via crazy arrow shot, Ashitaka getting shot through the chest,(not a spoiler happens near the beginning) gods dying left and right, San sucking blood out of one of the wolfs. It's pretty much the most violent Miyazaki movie I've seen but the only ones I've seen have been Kiki's Delivery Service, PM, and Spirited Away so I guess I don't have much to go on.
wao

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
tomcat wrote:
What Great and wonderful news that even more people will have a chance to see these Anime classics!! But wheres Totoro!!! wheres is Whisper ot the Heart!! and what about Kiki's Delivery Service!! or Porco Rosso!!, and Pompoko??!!

Cos that's not really Miyazaki.

It's a pity, I wish they'd show Takahata's stuff too. Maybe it's too "real" for kids. Or perhaps a more understandable reason is that maybe it's better appreciated if you know something about the Japanese culture. Still, even if his stuff might not have that immediate shine that Miyazaki's stuff tends to have, it's sad that his stuff really gets pushed aside sometimes....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2