• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blu-ray thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
an enciclopedia with 100 pags, lol
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this has already been asked, but how many of you guys would accept a dub-only North American Cowboy Bebop Blu-Ray release similar to what they did with Persona 4?

I don't know about you, but if that turned out to be the only way to get the series on Blu-Ray in English in any reasonable amount of time at any reasonable price, I'd buy it. It would definitely suck, but I'd personally still buy it.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy it, but I don't think it really requires a rush to capitalize on like P4A did.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Maybe this has already been asked, but how many of you guys would accept a dub-only North American Cowboy Bebop Blu-Ray release similar to what they did with Persona 4?

I don't know about you, but if that turned out to be the only way to get the series on Blu-Ray in English in any reasonable amount of time at any reasonable price, I'd buy it. It would definitely suck, but I'd personally still buy it.
One of the very few titles that could get away with it.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

I'd be fine with that, but I'd be fine with that practice in general.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

A good question. There's very few shows I'd ever accept like that. Ghost in the Shell: SAC would definitely be one and maybe, maybe Cowboy Bebop. I wouldn't be 100% happy, but I could accept it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
You could also be faced with the issue of the Japanese also liking the English dub, and preferring our cheap release over theirs. Problem not solved.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm opposed to the idea of dub only releases in principle. I don't like seeing western fans deprived of their choice audio track simply to service Japanese protectionism. It's wildly unnecessary too. Simple locked subs for the Japanese track ought to suffice. It is just paranoid to insist that they cut out the Japanese track entirely and/or not do a BD release at all.

That said, the Japanese are indeed super paranoid about this. There's no denying it. Hence, I also have to look at things pragmatically. If doing it dub only release means we actually get BDs of shows we otherwise wouldn't then yeah, I could live with that in a lot of cases. The truth is that I do watch 95% of anime dubbed when given the choice. Hence, while I'd like to have the subs as an option, it isn't actually that important to me. And in fact, with a lot of my favourite shows, I overwhelmingly prefer the dub to the point that I would never even watch it subtitled. So yeah, for an old show were I already own the DVD I'd certainly buy a dub only BD.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You could also be faced with the issue of the Japanese also liking the English dub, and preferring our cheap release over theirs. Problem not solved.

I really don't think enough Japanese fans speak English for this to be a problem.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
I really hate the idea of dub only releases - especially since they only reason they exist is to service Japanese RI fears in a really dumb way. I'll sacrifice the theoretically better visual quality of a BD to get the hybrid track - that's exactly why I avoided the Kurokami BDs in favour of the DVDs and I'll do the same with Persona 4 when I buy it.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
Indeed--I love the Japanese for their creative capacity, but I really can't stand the way they do business sometimes.

In the case of Cowboy Bebop, I find it to be one of the few instances in which the dub is entirely favourable to the sub, but I still wouldn't buy such a release because I sometimes get curious. Razz
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm opposed to the idea of dub only releases in principle. I don't like seeing western fans deprived of their choice audio track simply to service Japanese protectionism. It's wildly unnecessary too. Simple locked subs for the Japanese track ought to suffice. It is just paranoid to insist that they cut out the Japanese track entirely and/or not do a BD release at all.

That said, the Japanese are indeed super paranoid about this. There's no denying it.

I don't think they're being paranoid; What the Japanese are trying to do is a straight DVD to BD conversion. It's not a matter of price, they want to release two/three episode BDs just like they do or did with DVD releases. Their problem is they're trying to justify a 50 GB HD medium for a fraction of its possible use. Why? Tradition, even if it only dates back to the rise of DVD sales.

Ex: A twelve/thirteen episode series gets released over 6 BDs, each one a seperate release. In the rest of the world, that's one release over two BDs {Except for AoA, naturally}. Yes, it's cheaper but that's only the beginning of Japan's problems. {Takes up less space, enables the buyer to purchase more cheap anime, makes it easier to loan out, etc}

Not permitting a BD release until they meet desired sales would be their safest bet; Not allowing a Japanese track on a BD is the same as mandating a dub and I don't think Japanese companies want to make that a habit.

It's strange.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Not permitting a BD release until they meet desired sales would be their safest bet; Not allowing a Japanese track on a BD is the same as mandating a dub and I don't think Japanese companies want to make that a habit.

It's strange.

Exactly. From what I've read in the past, Japanese anime consumers are pretty regimented in their buying habits. For most titles, the biggest chunk of their sales happen on the FIRST day. Generally, by the end of the first month, they've probably sold 90 per cent of what they will ever sell. Delaying a BD release in NA for a year after its Japanese release should be MORE than sufficient to counter R.I. without having to do stupid stuff like make them dub-only.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really hate the idea of dub only releases - especially since they only reason they exist is to service Japanese RI fears in a really dumb way. I'll sacrifice the theoretically better visual quality of a BD to get the hybrid track - that's exactly why I avoided the Kurokami BDs in favour of the DVDs and I'll do the same with Persona 4 when I buy it.

I simply can't hate something that saves me money. Very Happy A dub only release pretty much guarantees that I'm not buying it (yeah me, the original purchasing whore milch cow sucker price gouged fan of North America Shocked). I just don't see the point in buying half of a product. And to a much lesser extent, the need to support a dvd release when there's a blu-ray release of that particular title already available. NISA tends to be the exception to any of my whining though, I'll be the first to admit to that. Of course the next latest greatest optical format they unleash will ensure that blu-ray will one day be as desirable as VHS. Oh the joys of being a fan.

If this is the new continuing trend, that of discounting the R1 fan with crippled releases, or ones that costs up to 3 times more than others in the same region, in a format headed through the door of obsolescence, hell, I just may stand a chance of making a dent in my backlog.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I'm much more tolerant of a sub-only release than I am dub-only which is a little weird since I do like dubs a lot. I dunno, there is just something about not having access to the original Japanese audio (even though I don't speak a word of the language) that doesn't sit right with me, but I can live without a dub, if I have to. Hybrid is definitely my favourite type of release, though, no question.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/muhootsaver_7/status/289132417002917888
Quote:
According to AV Watch, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and Ranma BD-Boxes are all from new HD telcine master http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130109_581061.html

via Amazon Japan

Maison Ikkoku
  • BD-Box 1 (eps 1 - 48) - 40320yen, 12/25/13
  • BD-Box 2 (eps 49 - 96) - 40320yen, 4/23/14

Ranma ½ TV
  • BD-Box 1 (eps 1 - 54) - 45360yen, 5/24/13
  • BD-Box 2 (eps 55 - 108) - 45360yen, 9/18/13
  • BD-Box 3 (eps 109 - 161) - 45360yen, 1/24/14

Urusei Yatsura TV
  • BD-Box 1 (eps 1 - 69) - 40320yen, 3/27/13
  • BD-Box 2 (eps 70 - 117) - 40320yen, 7/31/13
  • BD-Box 3 (eps 118 - 165) - 40320yen, 11/27/13
  • BD-Box 4 (eps 166 - 218) - 40320yen, 3/26/14

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 31