• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview with CLAMP regarding X's hiatus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velocet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I just spotted this article on manganews.net and thought I'd share in case others hadn't seen it already. I remember reading some threads recently that debated the rumours of reasons behind X's hiatus, but if this is all old news, my apologies!

Special Feature: the Truth Behind X's Hiatus

It's just a short interview with the CLAMP ladies and a short article preceeding it which basically reiterates what they say.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant find there. Now if someone can find an interview that says "NO MORE BERSERK ANIME EVER!!!" then maybe things will start to get a little less monotonous around here.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
velocet wrote:
I remember reading some threads recently that debated the rumours of reasons behind X's hiatus, but if this is all old news, my apologies!

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=245537#245537

I asked the question to Ageha Ohkawa in person on behalf of ANNers, yet the interview article, finished exactly four weeks ago, is not yet posted (scheduled to be posted tomorrow)....

Seeing ANN got beaten by a major scanlation hub is really disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw that around.

However, that article is already 2 years old, and both of the incidents focused on as reasons for the delay happened in the 90's. One would think that it would have been enough time for them to start up again.

I still wouldn't hold my breath on X/1999 ever being finished.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seeing ANN got beaten by a major scanlation hub is really disappointing.

To their (the scanslation site) credit, they are trying to become more professional (I'm probobly a bit biased since Iwon that article contest of theirs last year though.)
As for X, to be perfectly honest I could care less if it's finished or not. CLAMP just has too many projects going at once. It's to be expected really when you can that many opinions.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Yeah, I saw that around.

However, that article is already 2 years old, and both of the incidents focused on as reasons for the delay happened in the 90's. One would think that it would have been enough time for them to start up again.

**sigh**

I'm going to have to agree with Marie-Antoinette. If that article was written two years ago, I think that it is past time for them to release something...

I'm not going to hold my breath either.

**sigh**
velocet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I had noticed the interview was given in 2004, I can't say I'm expecting an ending to X either. It may well have been enough time for them to start up again, this just outlines the reasons why they stopped in the first place. The reason given wasn't one I had come across, though as it's been years since I last looked at X I can't say I was looking for the rumours very hard...! It would be nice if they finished X, though as you say, I'm not holding my breath.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ookawa: The situation right now is that, due to the graphic nature of our planned ending, getting it published in a magazine is very difficult.

BS. They're CLAMP. They can get anything published.

Quote:
Igarashi: The biggest ones being the Hanshin Earthquake, and the Sakakibara Incident.

DBZ was still being published in spite of the Kobe earthquake. And that features the world blowing up. (again)

Quote:
and the Sakakibara Incident

Didn't stop Battle Royale. My guess is they're using the delay as an excuse to create demand for their other manga. Or the ending just plain sucks, but they don't want to admit it.
apple pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote
i'm not an X fan but damn I feel for ya!

it sounds to me that this thing will eventually finish... if i was a creator — this would be my fav part. wrapping up a series after a decade!
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Or the ending just plain sucks, but they don't want to admit it.

After the X movie, the ending couldn't get any more lame, so I hardly think that's an issue. If their ending *was* worse than the movie's, then I sure hope they're good enough to think of a better one in ten years.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Ookawa: The situation right now is that, due to the graphic nature of our planned ending, getting it published in a magazine is very difficult.

BS. They're CLAMP. They can get anything published.

Quote:
Igarashi: The biggest ones being the Hanshin Earthquake, and the Sakakibara Incident.

DBZ was still being published in spite of the Kobe earthquake. And that features the world blowing up. (again)

Quote:
and the Sakakibara Incident

Didn't stop Battle Royale. My guess is they're using the delay as an excuse to create demand for their other manga. Or the ending just plain sucks, but they don't want to admit it.
Did Toriyama Akira-san receieve lots of letters from his readers that they couldn't bare to read any more Dragonball Z because of the Kobe earthquake? Clamp put the ending to X on hiatus because they were recieving letters from their readers that they couldn't bare to read anymore because of the tragic events of those two earthquakes. Just because Dragonball Z was about the world blowing up doesn't automatically make it similar to earthquakes. Clamp was using earthquakes as a motif for their ending and this was too personal for their readers to bare reading. Also, by the "again" statement you made, that seems to indicate that this type of ending happened in Dragonball Z before. If this is the case, the Dragonball Z readers were probably already used to it, but this is the first time Clamp used this ending for X, so the X readers probably weren't used to seeing the graphic imagery of the earthquakes in their manga that just happened to occur around the same time as a major earthquake in real-life Japan.

Another thing to remember is that Dragonball Z is a shounen manga written for little boys whereas X is a shoujo manga written for older teenage girls. Unlike the 16 year old girls that read X who are old enough to understand the situations that are going on around in real life, somehow I doubt very many seven year old little boys are going to be sending in letters to Toriyama-san because it was too emotional for them to read something similiar to something that appeared in the news that they never watch because they're kids. And Battle Royale is a manga for adult readers. It has a very selective target audience of fans whereas X is targeted at older teens and as such has a wider target audience of readers. Since the readers of Battle Royale are a selective audience, they probably didn't recieve as very many letters from their readers regarding the nature of the manga. It's nice that Clamp finally gave their reasons for delaying the X manga, so at least they're not keeping us in suspense. Hopefully, after they complete Tsubasa and XXXholic, they'll return to writing more X. Though, I kind of wish they would've told us how much further the story is to the end from where they left off at, so at least we'll have an idea of how much of the story is left to complete.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

All current four members of CLAMP are Kansai residents (Kansaijin). To them, the earthquake was very personal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It still has been around a decade since it did happen.

Basically I won't believe that X is going to be finished until I actually see physically proof of it.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
This will probably sound stupid but what was the Sakakibara Incident anyway?

Was it when that group released poison in the subway?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
This will probably sound stupid but what was the Sakakibara Incident anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakakibara

LydiaDianne wrote:
Was it when that group released poison in the subway?

No. It was Aum Shinrikyo. See here for Wiki's coverage.

Please Google next time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2