• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrrise's Valvrave the Liberator Mecha Anime's 2nd Ad Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenextday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sunrrise's

Sunrise's
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
If we make a few changes to proper nouns, how many Sunrise productions does that plot summary apply to?
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
So...then it's Gundam with a new paint job and more bishonen character designs...well after what happened with AGE I guess that might be for the best. At least the staff list looks solid.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Now that the premise has been revealed, it sounds like your average robot series and little else. There's always a chance the actual production could turn out to be more interesting in practice, if we want to be fair here, but I honestly don't have much of a reason to get preemptively excited about it. Might check it out if the initial reactions are positive and/or if the rest of the season isn't particularly good.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ko Matsuo is an excellent director and Ichiro Okouchi has wroked on some of mecha classics...and Guilty Crown.But who cares he only wrote 7 episodes of it.And yes this does sound like your average mecha show but I would rather have that then something that involves sister wanting to bang her brother.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Anime like this are why I find Layzner and VOTOMS so appealing, the dudes are always pilots and veterans. More importantly, they're not kids ruled by their undeveloped emotions. It's not like veterans can't have character growth, it's actually kind of cliche when the focus is on "kid must learn war is baaaaaaad".

I'll give it a shot, but I grow impatient of lackluster efforts in these supposedly serious stories.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Anime like this are why I find Layzner and VOTOMS so appealing, the dudes are always pilots and veterans. More importantly, they're not kids ruled by their undeveloped emotions. It's not like veterans can't have character growth, it's actually kind of cliche when the focus is on "kid must learn war is baaaaaaad".

There is some truth to what you're saying, though from my point of view it's always better to alternate between different types of stories, since the "mature war veteran" approach also runs the risk of going for a partially or entirely different set of nevertheless cliche material. That angle, while comparatively rare in contemporary anime and thus deserving of more attention than what it gets, isn't particularly new in fiction as a whole. In the end, I don't think either framework is inherently superior or inferior. It all depends on what the creators actually do with it.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a updated Gundam clone.

I'm not against mech animes, i'm glad Sunrise is making one.

However its kinda weird to me their rolling this out now when Gundam AGE just finished up and allegially Gundam: Origin will be coming out with next installment of Gundam Unicorn.

Hopefully the anime will be unique enough stand on its own. I'm frankly tired of school kids getting sucked into mechs and being hero of the hour. If i saw this stuff when i was kid, i'd like it but get bored if had seen similar series.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, a new Gundam ser--oh, wait…

The mecha even has that familiar yellow V-fin on its head. It would be pretty neat if this actually turns out to be a Gundam series in disguise, though. That being said, I'm a little torn on it: I like the staff and look of it (of what little's been shown), but it also seems less-than-distinctive and the staff--given some of their credentials and styles--doesn't make it feel that compelling, either. I hope there is more substance and allure to be shown that'll make it more palatable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
A "Gundam" series for non-Gundam fans? Laughing
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Looks like they have more defined CG than gundam shows
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm always down for a new Sunrise mecha series, but then I'm not always looking for the next big hit and expecting the world out of them either. I simply ask for a good time and something I can at least sink my teeth into and anticipate from week to week and more often than not these tend to deliver.

If there is indeed an attempt to sneak in a new Gundam show in disguise I think it can only be because that name now causes people to rage and froth at the mouth and have all these impossible to meet expectations. As Yoshiyuki Tomino put it during one interview over his new G-Reko project, "the 'Gundam' name was a total nuisance when trying to develop a new kind of robot story." Not that I think not calling it Gundam will stop people from losing their shit at some point in the pre-airing process since that's basically a given at this point but for now it's nice to see people not losing their minds over early character designs like what happened with the last two Gundam TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1