• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Production I.G Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redcomet15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
This sounds... really cool! Wow, this might be an anime worth watching. I'll be keeping an eye out for it, that's for sure. Now I just hope I.G. treats the subject matter with respect and doesn't go overboard with all of the demons and hocus pocus.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
That plot summary sounds...so Production I.G. They'll be right at home making this with their top-notch animation.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Le Chevalier D'Eon" (Knight D'Eon) a diplomat and a special agent working for Louis XIV, is fighting against those cults, and also on a mission to find the killer of his own sister. A mysterious cult organization called "Rose Cross" stands in his way, using vicious powers to create a dark creature, "Gargoyle" to over take Europe....

Rosicrucians and Freemasons in anime? Shocked Conspiracy theories are not uncommon in Western pop culture, yet this is the first one I know in anime. Most secret societies featured in manga or anime are Shinto-based (X, Asagiri no Miko, etc.), and STN in Witch Hunter Robin barely counts as a "secret" society.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wao

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
This had *better* be better than Blood+ and IGPX... well, I have faith that Kazuhiro Furubashi will do a good job if he's with a good studio... though it's a bit unfounded perhaps...
coriolix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
This sounds very interesting but might also be kind of hokey if not treated right. Production IG is slowly becoming my favorite anime studio, so I'll remain hopeful.

Also, I saw the word "chevalier" with "Production IG" in the headline and was a bit startled because of the coincidence with a term in Blood+ (which started out a bit generic and predictable, but has gotten exponentially better past episode 17 or so).
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Rosicrucians and Freemasons in anime? 8O Conspiracy theories are not uncommon in Western pop culture, yet this is the first one I know in anime.

One word - Rose of Versailles. Which, at least to some degree, was inspired by d'Eon's life to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
It also may have an uphill battle considering how close the American and French Revolutions are. Also, does this mean that this is an anime about a cross-dresser?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I took a look at the manga preview, and this looks awfully similar to some scenes in Vidocq, a French movie with Gérard Depardieu. Anybody else has seen this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Gothic Lolita Version of Blood+
System7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I know that nobody cares but, Louis XIV is died before french revolution so is it a mistake to find is name in the english blurb ? Is it what appears in the manga ? I thought it would be Louis XVI who died during this revolution.

Ok, I know that I'm annoying. That's my french side who's whispering to myself. Laughing

Great news indeed if they don't produce a pseudo Blood+.

PS: have seen Vidocq but don't see where are similarities
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1