• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Naruto Anime Film Project to Launch in 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Just what we need, another feature-length BORING filler that has no place in the main story and therefore renders it a complete waste of time.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting that they're taking a year off
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The Will of Fire isn't that great, probably as good as the regular Naruto movies.

Ever since the first Shippuden, my expectations for something as good as that is hard to meet. I wish the other Naruto movies are as good as the first Shippuden movie.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
They better kidnap Kishimoto or the Blood Prison writer to make this one.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
BELIEVE IT!
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
These theatrical anime releases are very profitable, especially in japan, but i will have to agree with topgunner, they are really just filler in feature length format, so while they are pretty as hell, they are rather useless in the advancement of the plot, most anime movies suffer from this, which leads me to this question, does anyone know any anime movies that advance the plot and arent just eye candy?
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
These theatrical anime releases are very profitable, especially in japan, but i will have to agree with topgunner, they are really just filler in feature length format, so while they are pretty as hell, they are rather useless in the advancement of the plot, most anime movies suffer from this, which leads me to this question, does anyone know any anime movies that advance the plot and arent just eye candy?

Berserk.
It removes stuff though
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:

I believe that Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala provided an ending to the first tv series, but apart from this example I can only remember the Hunter X Hunter movie that will at least provide a backstory for the Kurapika revenge arc (I don't know if it will be a continuation, since the movie hasn't even premiered yet). The One Piece: Strong World movie is canonical I believe and written by Oda himself, but yes, it's mostly a fun side-story, as the majority of shonen anime movies are.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
does anyone know any anime movies that advance the plot and arent just eye candy?

Only instances I can think of would be anime movies used to serve as the finale for an anime series. Notable ones would be Conquerer of Shambala for the first Fullmetal Alchemist series, the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie, Tenchi Forever for the Tenchi Universe TV anime, End of Evangelion and the two Eden of the East movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Advancing the plot through a movie would be terrible. Anyone who didn't see it yet would be confused if the next week's episode suddenly skipped ahead a bunch in the story.

Movies are best either as an ending to a series, or a fun, random, filler adventure.

Not to say they can't be canon (Pocket Monster's and Digimon's movies are, the events get referenced in the series themselves) but anything more than a side story would be terrible from a story-telling perspective.
Darkhawk220

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:

Yes. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya includes scenes from all previous two seasons and adds a new part of the plot that is undoubtedly significant. I haven't read the LNs but the ending scenes definitely served to advance the plot. As a plus, it was also beautifully animated. The main point from this film is that you could only watch it if you've followed it previously so it was mainly dependent on plot rather than filler. It was also a faitful adaptation that received theatrical success.

Another film, although not as exemplar, would be the Sora no Otoshimono movie which adds a character that appears from the manga. The film itself was mostly a recap and some scenes were changed but it did introduce a character that appears in the plot.

But on the whole, I agree. Anime films stemming from long running shounens are usually terrible.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Talk about being jaded. Laughing American cartoon fans would probably kill to have a bunch of theatrical movies for their shows instead of live-action remakes
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Other than the Conquest of Shambala that ended the first Fulmental Alchemist tv series I can only think of the Tenchi Moyo movies were interesting. SamuraiX,Inyasha movies maybe also. Wink
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The Sailor Moon R movie advanced the plot as well. Usagi's ginsuizhou that was used in the movie is used again, primarily at the end of the series when that becomes her Star Seed. It appears on her chest during episode 199 & 200 when she is in her Angel Usagi form.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
wonder if itll be a filler or if naruto ends then maybe a film like fma?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2