• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trailer Watch: Brave Story, Gamera

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Brave Story is looking damn promising. i hope it's good as that trailer.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

I agree! Very interesting plot summary. More than likely we'll see it stateside. 'Gonzo' can do some great design work. But I just don't like their usage of CGI all that much. But that's just my gripe Smile

Oh, BTW nice avatar. Which was the last face I saw today. Laughing Wink

"It's every boy's dream is to have a turtle. One that flies and shoots flaming death. Gamera, he is friend to all children."

"I want a coke."

As for the new 'Gamera' movie...well, you knew this was going to happen eventually. Actually they've been building up for this for some time. I saw a clip from a presentation sometime late last year on a Japanese. site. They had a very real to life model of the turtle on stage. My first impressions were, "since, the BIG-G, is retired I guess it's time to tap into another "kaiju" fave." I always liked 'Gamera' movies when I was a child and while I haven't seen any of the movies (except in bits and pieces), I may give this one a look.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

I agree! Very interesting plot summary. More than likely we'll see it stateside.

If we don't see it make its way to the U.S., I'd be very surprised. If I'm not mistaken, Warner Brothers (USA) is helping produce and pay for it. Even so, that doesn't 100% guarantee a U.S. release of some sort, but it sure strongly suggests one.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
My first impressions were, "since, the BIG-G, is retired

"Retired," being a term that should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to Godzilla. He's been "retired" about four or five times now in his history, and yet has always come back. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
Holy frijoles, that new Gamera Flick looks like... I dunno, Free Willy with giant fighting turtles. This might almost be as good as Snakes on a Plane.

As for Brave Story, the trailer looks pretty cool. Hm, I wonder when the DVD will get over here. I mean, you know, a year and a half after everyone's seen it via fansub.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
My first impressions were, "since, the BIG-G, is retired

"Retired," being a term that should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to Godzilla. He's been "retired" about four or five times now in his history, and yet has always come back. Wink

Yeah, you're right. To be honest I didn't know that he was retired that many times. Every time you turn around there was a 'Godzilla' film. Even if a few years later. You would never know. Yeah that's not retired that's taking a short hiatus. Retired means, RE-TI-RED!!! Laughing
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, back in the mid-1970s, Godzilla films were no longer turning profits because kids were losing interest. So after Terror of Mechagodzilla, they decided to put an end to the Godzilla films. About a decade later in 1984 came Godzilla's 30th anniversary, which resulted in another movie (called Godzilla 1985 locally). This film led to a new series through the 80s and 90s, which was intended to end with the 1993 remake of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. There was a last-minute change of plans, though, and two more movies were made after that before they yet again decided to retire Godzilla in 1995 with Godzilla vs. Destroyer. Skip ahead another four years, and fan pressure following the 1998 American Godzilla movie prompts Toho to go back to making more Godzilla movies with 1999's Godzilla 2000. Another series of movies followed this until the 50th anniversary, which saw, of course, Godzilla Final Wars, which is the latest attempt at "retiring" the Big Guy.

And if it counts, there were never meant to be any sequels at all to the original 1954 movie. It was intended to be a stand-alone film that served as an allegory to the Pacific theatre of World War II. But then they made one sequel in 1955, and swore no more after that. Then they made King Kong vs. Godzilla in 1962 and it all kinda snowballed from there. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha!! Now that's what I call 'Godzilla' history. I guess as things get better in the movie business we can probably expect to see him returning at some point. I guess retiring him temporarily helps to build up fans wanting a return or not. I'm surprised they never tried to make a 'Godzilla' anime. I know it sounds silly but it's an idea.

I guess if 'Gamera' does well they'll make another movie featuring a new menace to beat. And the one that comes back is always 'Gaos'. I love that monster. But I like the little toys they're handing out better.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I wanna see Barugon be re-introduced in a future Gamera movie. Nothing ike a giant salamander with a licking attack and rainbow deathray that emits out of his back. Laughing
nobinobita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
If i'm not mistaken, i think Brave Story is based off of a Manga of the same name. I've seen one volume of it before, and though I couldn't really piece together the story of it from just one volume, it did have really really nice, solid art. It seemed to involve kids travelling between modern Japan and a fantasy land where they each have powers and discernable character classes like warrior, mage etc. If the movie interests you, you should look into the Manga.

also...

Isn't this trailer exactly the same as the one that was posted a few months ago? (or weeks, i've lost all sense of time at School)
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
Holy frijoles, that new Gamera Flick looks like... I dunno, Free Willy with giant fighting turtles. This might almost be as good as Snakes on a Plane.

NOTHING will be as good as "Snakes On A Plane" you hear me? NOTHING! Twisted Evil
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
WTF? It looks like Gamera if produced by Disney, not Daei. Anyway, the Mothra trilogy was better than the Kaneko Gamera trilogy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1