• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - I Ain't Even Madoka

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Kind of sad to see the PMMM Manga not live up to the Anime's greatness. But the fact that it can still garner an A- with all of its issues is a testament to the story and the overall writing.

On a completely unrelated note; whenever I hear the word "tetragrammaton" I immediately think of Equilibrium. Yeah, I'm a product of the noughties.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of "Tetragrammaton Labyrinth" before now. And I just saw a little bit of it. I don't know if it's the type of manga I'd want to read. I'm not sure it's really for me. And what I've learned about it,makes me really unsure that I'd want to,either.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've never heard of "Tetragrammaton Labyrinth" before now. And I just saw a little bit of it. I don't know if it's the type of manga I'd want to read. I'm not sure it's really for me. And what I've learned about it,makes me really unsure that I'd want to,either.

Well, you are in luck that the review was so spoiler-y that now you don't have to.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
07-Ghost: This manga is so old to me now. It'll be nice when the story picks up again, despite it being years old.

Madoka: I guess if I want to call myself a true Madoka fan, I should buy all three manga as well?

Maximum Ride: Despite what this review is saying, I just want to finish this story already.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kind of sad to see the PMMM Manga not live up to the Anime's greatness. But the fact that it can still garner an A- with all of its issues is a testament to the story and the overall writing.

Its worth noting that the manga and anime were produced effectively simultaneously, based on Gen's original script and a few other directives.

Hanokage didn't have the anime on hand to compare to as she drew it, since it was being produced at the same time.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I still find it odd that they assigned a complete newbie to make the Madoka manga. It was literally her first work.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I still find it odd that they assigned a complete newbie to make the Madoka manga. It was literally her first work.

Well, for one she was probably relatively inexpensive to hire, and for two, its not like she hadn't been producing Doujin Manga for years.

Her and the Oriko Magica artist both were well known doujin artists for years.

Not an unusual way for someone to make a jump.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

Well, you are in luck that the review was so spoiler-y that now you don't have to.

I don't believe it's that spoiler-y, there are still a range of unsaid plot complexities and character arcs to be found in this series.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

But definitely not the mangaka's last. Especially for Madoka Magica. I bought/read his/her "The Different Story" original spin-off PMMM manga volumes as they were coming out in Japan, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The original adaption manga featured here was one-chapter-per-episode and the pacing killed a lot of the impact, but... "The Different Story" was given enough volumes to allow for free pacing from the mangaka and WOW, there is a lot of special characterization that explores the deeper sides to the characters barely touched upon in the anime. The mangaka was behind the stories of the first and last drama CD stories that impressed even Urobuchi, and now that I've read "The Different Story" (which involves a slightly re-paced re-adaption of the third drama CD), I don't think that was just him/her being lucky...
I'm definitely going to follow the mangaka's future works outside of Madoka Magica now.
I really hope it is brought over to the West. Does anyone know if it's planned for release or is it still too early?
billborden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, TETRAGRAMMATON LABYRINTH has been on my "Please god, animate this" list for the past few years. The action is beautifully cinematic; the charecters are endearing, and the story is short enough to be translated in to 12-24 episodes (depending on how much background they decide to use). He's also right about the yuri content; this one falls closer to the western usage of shoujo-ai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1