• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How old were you when you first started getting into anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How old were you when you first started getting into anime?
Spam magnet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
<10
25%
 25%  [ 81 ]
10-25
66%
 66%  [ 209 ]
26-40
5%
 5%  [ 16 ]
41-55
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
56+
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 314

iamalive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
10-25.
I'm 11 now, so I'm still sorta-kinda new to it. I watched some Pokemon when I was around 8, but I wasn't in to it. Heck, I didn't even know what the genre was called, I thought it was from here (America). o_o
Then when I was 10, some friends of mine were into it, so I decided to join them. Lol, one of the best choices I've made.
Kamaduck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
I was 14. I liked Pokemon and Naruto before that, but I wasn't aware of the medium very much. When I was fourteen, one of my friends started talking about manga a lot. I wanted to have an informed opinion on the medium, so I picked a popular title and prepared to make generalizations. I read Fruits Basket, which blew my mind, and immediately watched Evangelion, which blew my mind again. They were obviously very different, but I'm glad I experienced them together. They helped me realize what the medium was capable of. Two years later, and I'm way more into anime than my friend ever was. Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
It's kind of funny, but I've always been naturally attracted to Anime, even before knowing what it was. When I was a toddler I loved Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth. During grade school my favorite cartoons were Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh and Beyblade, while I was never particularly attracted to American cartoons, save a few like Hey Arnold.

I consider the one that got me into Anime as a gender was Card Captor Sakura, which I started watching around the age of 9 and then the manga got licensed in my country when I was like 11. Since I couldn't buy it myself because my family has always been low on money, I borrowed it from a friend who later lent me Chobits, X (I was just born to love CLAMP) Fruits Basket, KareKano, Death Note and Bleach and a lot more manga and anime. Up to this day we're still very close friends (we're both 20 now) and we're both still very much into anime, though I'd dare say I'm far more gone than he is LOL
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
I think that I was between 18 and 20 when the BBC aired Roujin Z, Akira and Patlabor during the weekends so I went with 10-25. Akira is what got me into anime. Seeing that was a simply mind blowing experience for me because it was quite unlike anything that I'd seen before. After that I started downloading anime from the net and bought tapes of whatever looked interesting, like Dominion Tank Police and Slayers.

I had seen anime before that, but when I was a kid and watched shows like Nils Holgersson, Sinbad the Sailor and Maya the Bee I never knew that it was called anime.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, the first anime I watched was probably before I could read, but "anime" wasn't really a label for me back then. That would have been Arupusu no shōjo Haiji, and today I know it was directed by Isao Takahata, ha!

The first conscious contact with anime was not until Spirited away, followed by Evangelion (early 20s). Both blew my mind and left me begging for more.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
10-25 for me. While I watched anime on and off since I was 8 years old, I wasn't seriously committed to it until 2002 when I was 16 years old during the early 2000s anime boom where I would watch and record whatever I could see on Toonami, Adult Swim and Starz channels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
<10 for me only because of series like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragonball/Z etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kookykonata

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
I became interested in anime back when I was 15 in 10th grade. One of my friends was trying to lend a manga (4th volume of Real Bout High School) to her friend, but her friend didn't want to read it so she asked me if I wanted to read it, so I said "Sure". I ended up buying my first manga (Pita-Ten vol. 1 & 2) 3 days later. The rest is history!
sphyre052

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It started getting into anime when I was 10 years old or maybe younger. Before going much into anime I first watch Dragon ball, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Voltes V, Detective Conan, and HunterXHunter.

The time my head was full of Pokemon I was like, "Mom, when I grow up I wanna be a Pokemon Master" Crazy right?
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The first anime series's that I watched were in my early childhood years. 4-10. Which included Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2 and several other shows that were broadcast in Spanish in the 90's. I had only watched them though as I would any other cartoon or animated series such as Batman: TAS, The Simpsons, Superman: TAS, etc. Thanks to Toonami and Adult Swim, that is where I had really gotten into it.
Lost_Shy_One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember. I'm only in highschool...
DynastKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I believe I was 8 or 9, my parents were flipping through channels and Yu Yu Hakushu was on, making it my first anime I had ever watched. After that, I got my first gameboy color (pikachu edition) with the yellow version and soon enough I was watching pokemon as well. Then came Dragonball Z and the rest is more or less a blur of animated greatness.
Akakamereon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
I am seventy and I am just started watching anime
just kidding, are there really any people who started watching anime in those age?

I am eighteen, start watching anim since thirteen
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
I started to love anime last year when I was at the third year at junior high school...Thank you...
Daiki Tetsuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
It was around 6 or 7 years old i think
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5