• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MVM to Reissue Vampire Princess Miyu

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
I hope it's the OVA, but it's probably the TV series, which I already have on my shelf.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this one, is it any good?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if you like dark, goulish, bishoujo, bishounen, episodic stories. It's a good TV series that few seem to know about, or remember sadly. The earlier OVA only had 4 episodes, but were much more captivating and had more of Miyu's back story in them. I highly recommend them both, if you can find the OVA as well.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
I saw the OVA and wasn't all that impressed by it (though at least as far as horror anthologies go it was better than Pet Shop of Horrors), I'll probably give it another chance at some point since I own it on DVD. The TV series doesn't seem to have that good a reputation, but I'm glad they're re-releasing a series this old as that's unusual these days. If the price is right I guess I might consider checking it out just in case I like it. Incidentally, this is serving as a further reminder for me to pick up the just re-released older series Jubei-Chan the Ninja Girl.

EDIT: I had a thought: When they say they're the same discs as the older release, do they actually mean they'll be packaging up unsold singles or will they be printing new discs? And were there any technical problems with the old release such as mistimed subs or glaring compression artifacts?
ninja noir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah, if you like dark, goulish, bishoujo, bishounen, episodic stories. It's a good TV series that few seem to know about, or remember sadly. The earlier OVA only had 4 episodes, but were much more captivating and had more of Miyu's back story in them. I highly recommend them both, if you can find the OVA as well.

I think i'll order a copy when it becomes available then. I'm always interested in seeing some older stuff. (Well, it's not that old I suppose.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:

EDIT: I had a thought: When they say they're the same discs as the older release, do they actually mean they'll be packaging up unsold singles or will they be printing new discs? And were there any technical problems with the old release such as mistimed subs or glaring compression artifacts?
Either way is possible. Laughing I didn't see any problems with the earlier set of singles I purchased when they first came out, so no.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop evidently listened to complaints after the first volume.. but that one had hard overlays, included the OP and ED only before and after the first and last episodes on the disc, and turned the OP sequence into a slideshow because they didn't have a version without kanji.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Tokyopop evidently listened to complaints after the first volume.. but that one had hard overlays, included the OP and ED only before and after the first and last episodes on the disc, and turned the OP sequence into a slideshow because they didn't have a version without kanji.

Oh dear Sad Well, I'll see what the word is on this reprint when it comes out... and as I said I'm not super interested anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1