• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ask your manga related Questions here (updated 03-24-01)
I think we need a general question thread so we don't clotter the forum with simple question like "How many volume is this" or "who license this". I seen too many question post that require a simple answer.

Please use the reference links below before asking a question because most questions can be answer by visiting the company's website or checking out ANN's Encyclopedia. You will find release dates and other info. So if your question just need a simple quick answer and not a whole discussion, post it here.

U.S. Manga Publisher
ADV Manga
Broccoli Books
Centralpark Media Press (CMP)
CMX
Dr. Master/ComicsOne
Digital Manga Press (DMP)
Del Rey Manga
Dark Horse Manga
FanFare/Ponentmon
Infinite Studio
Tokyopop
Viz

License and Volume Information/Reference:
ANN's Manga Encyclopedia - Manga database. Information like licensor & mangaka is there.
AnimeOnDVD's Comparison Chart - A database that track the total volumes of series release in US & Japan.
AAA Anime - A Distribution site that has very accurate information on Release Date. .
Manga Guide Some useful info on mangaka.
Manga on hiatus or cancel - Manga that U.S companies never finish publishing. Something to consider before starting a series.

Before you ask, did you try these useful site:
Wikipedia - Need to know manga terminology like tankoubon or harem?
Google Search Engine - Try Looking it up on this powerful search engine first before asking.
Campusi.com - General Book/Manga information including ISBN number. Also list cheapest place to buy manga online.

=============================================
*Common Notes/FAQs.
What ever happen to Gutsoon/Raijin?
Gutsoon's manga line is on hiatus. Many people are speculating that they went under/out of business due to poor marketing and focusing too much on their anthology rather than their graphic novel..

What happen to some of ADV Manga like Aria? What titles are cancle
ADV scare back a lot of their title and put them on hiatus because they weren't selling as well as they hope. For a list of cancle title please refer to the Hiatus & Cancel Thread.

I just seen the Berserk anime and want to continue the story, what volumes should I buy?
The anime cover volume 4 to 13 of the manga. Some important character were left out and some scene were scale down, therefore it's recommended that you pick up the entire series and not just where the anime left off. But if you must, it's volume 14 and beyond.

===============================================

Hope this is useful to some people. Any other suggestion, helpful links, please post. Also post your general question below.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:27 am; edited 48 times in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I do agree that we have a lot of questions concerning information that you can easily find in ANN's Encyclopedia. I guess it really takes a lot of effort for some to actually try to find these things on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will get stickied. Oh, and you might want to add Fanfare (http://www.ponentmon.com/new_pages/english/princ.html); they need all the press they can get...[/quote]
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
In different titles of manga, the amount of creator comments also differs to an extent. Some manga may have a lot of creator comments, and others don't have any at all. For example, Fushigi Yuugi (volume one at least) has quite a few panels of comments from Watase, while others like Yu-gi-oh! or Shaman King don't have any other than the inside cover. Rurouni Kenshin is also a Jump title, and every now and then I see something here and there, so I don't think it's got to do with company. I also tend to see this sort of thing more in shoujo manga, but that may just be a from a handful of titles. Is there anything in particular that determines how many comments a creator gets to write?
senguthewolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
heres a good question for you, i cannot find anywhere.
I've read a manga called R2, or Rise to the second power. i thought it was really good, but it didn't really END end, just kinda stopped. on the first volume. please, tell me if there is only 1 volume, or if theyre making more? its by ADV
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
senguthewolf wrote:
heres a good question for you, i cannot find anywhere.
I've read a manga called R2, or Rise to the second power. i thought it was really good, but it didn't really END end, just kinda stopped. on the first volume. please, tell me if there is only 1 volume, or if theyre making more? its by ADV

There's 2 volume total for R2. However, it seem that ADV has put the title on hiatus/cancle, so don't expect volume 2 any time soon.

Other ADV title that seem to stop: Daemon Hunter and Kagerou

.Sy wrote:
In different titles of manga, the amount of creator comments also differs to an extent. Some manga may have a lot of creator comments, and others don't have any at all. For example, Fushigi Yuugi (volume one at least) has quite a few panels of comments from Watase, while others like Yu-gi-oh! or Shaman King don't have any other than the inside cover. Rurouni Kenshin is also a Jump title, and every now and then I see something here and there, so I don't think it's got to do with company. I also tend to see this sort of thing more in shoujo manga, but that may just be a from a handful of titles. Is there anything in particular that determines how many comments a creator gets to write?

I believe this is only done when the manga are publish in GN form and not while being serialized in a magainze. I'm assuming that if a title like Kenshin which did extremely well while being serialized in Jump, the mangaka has more leverage on what goes into the GN. But I guess it's up to the mangaka and publisher on what they want to put in the GN.
senguthewolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's 2 volume total for R2. However, it seem that ADV has put the title on hiatus/cancle, so don't expect volume 2 any time soon.

ok, thanks. i saw the manga a looong time ago, and i didn't buy it till just recently. i figured by the time i had bought it, if there were more it should have at least 12 of them done and out. but if theres only 2, i still cant wait
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Since there is one in the Anime forum, due to popular demand (I guess), I have stickied a "General Questions" thread for the Manga forum as well.
Violence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:57 am Reply with quote
Did i hear news of a gungrave manga or was that in my head?
edit: nevermind found a link eventually
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
Anyone know of a place on the web that provides information (specifically TOC's and covers) on the weekly anthologies running in Japan? Something like Weekly Jump Readers' Journal does. I'm really looking for Shonen Sunday and Shonen Magazine. I'll accept any anthology though. Even US Jump would be helpful.

Also, to avoid confusion, I'm looking for each week's issue (that's 52 issues a year for the weekly's), not what is running in each anthology. That's easy to find.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Try Mangacast.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Try Mangacast.

Yeah. I think I'll be following that site for the next few months to see if they keep it up. Thanks.

I'm thinking the most likely place to find what I really want is on a Japanese P2P network, but with my limited abilities in Japanese, I'm not willing to go that route...yet.

Now, I need to confirm if Shonen Mag's page is TOC ordered or not. Anyone here have a subscription?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
How do you pronouce Merleawe's name from Magical x Miracle? It looks like MER-lee-vay, but since there's no "v" sound in Japanese I'd assume it's either MER-lee-way or MER-lee-wee. I hope it's not the last one; that just sounds stupid.
Bam-Bam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
1. What does "manga" mean?

2. Why do they always use the word "Jump" to describe certain type of mangas?

3. Why do they call Animation, "Anime"?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Bam-Bam wrote:
1. What does "manga" mean?
2. Why do they always use the word "Jump" to describe certain type of mangas?
3. Why do they call Animation, "Anime"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Shonen_Jump
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

For your future ultra-basic questions, use Wikipedia, Google, or ANN's Lexicon first.

Please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 45