• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Barnes & Noble Closes Stores in Major U.S. Cities

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Please don't close the one in my town. It just opened.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
That's not good, please don't close in my area. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Not a good sign, although while I do give them some business, most of my book purchases go to Books-A-Million. This just made me reconsider my membership renewal which is set to expire in April... Unfortunately.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Book stores continue to die, and average human's I.Q. continues to plummet in a downward spiral.

But on a serious note, it is sad to see these stores close.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
if the Barnes and Noble I went to in NYC is the one in Manhattan, then I'm not surprised they are closing it down. It was pretty bad book selection wise, it seemed to have like text book like books more than anything else. I like the Barnes and Noble in Websters far better than the one in NYC.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
B&N doesn't really have a good manga selection anyway. For manga they normally have maybe 2-3 rack sections for manga and graphic novels and they normally tuck them way back in the store. They give more space and better location for vampire romance novels than manga, at least in the B&Ns that I recently went into.

It's better, and usually cheaper, to buy manga at one of the many on-line stores. You can probably get a better deal at a local comics shop if you have one in your town. The shop I use both pre-orders and holds manga for me and gives me a free 10% frequent shopper discount.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company shut down stores in San Francisco

Uh... there was one store in San Francisco but it closed a couple years ago...

The store they closed was in Colma... while it was a couple miles down south it wasn't in SF...

Colma isn't even a town that borders SF... it's San Francisco's grave yard. (No really... it is... look it up).

I've also only been to the store once since it was in a pretty bad location, you could only get there by car... I'm not surprised it closed...
HSaabedra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
The two locations that are listed as being in the Dallas area aren't in Dallas, but the city of Irving where the old Texas Stadium was located.

The city hasn't been the same since the Cowboys moved to Tarrant County (Arlington) and the location that anchored the local mall is closing along with another location closer to I-635, which were both sustained by airport traffic. I got my first job at the Irving Mall location, so losing that one is a bit sad.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/20121226-barnes-noble-closing-two-irving-stores-as-shopping-patterns-change.ece

Last edited by HSaabedra on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Looks like B&N might be starting down the same path as Borders, which sucks. With the way the internet is now, there isn't as much use for a major book retailer as their used to be.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
Can't say that I didn't see this coming. B&N has exactly been catering to customers for the longest time. At least in my area.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
The ones close to my area has the bad selection of manga (save for Seven Seas Entertainment, which usually released early), so I had to resort to either Books-A-Million or RightStuf. :/
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
I foresaw this coming 10 years ago.
not only that, with borders going under they should have made plans to downsize long ago.
people will only pay so much for convenience and books are not really something people need to have immediately.

one thing I did not like about borders was how everything was so expensive and they offered coupons. that forced me to shop once a month. All they had to do was lower the everyday price and I would have bought alot more. It's not like people need to read 10 volumes of manga the same day they purchase them. that is why most people ended up piling orders together online every few months to save on shipping, that basically negated a need to go to borders except for on a whim or impulse.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
That's too bad. I really liked the nook touch too, but I didn't keep it because the resolution wasn't high enough. I hope they can manage to put out another model with a higher dpi. The kindle is too restricted and doesn't offer expandable memory. It's definitely a better product imo, just doesn't have the huge company behind it to drive it.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
And thus the digital age advances......
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
This is not a good sign, especially if they're willing to admit that the holiday retail season wasn't up to par. I hope that my local BN doesn't vanish like Borders did; I guess the Nook was able to stop some of the bleeding for a while but I have to wonder if they're not falling behind there.

I do try to support my local BN as much as reasonably possible, and I do appreciate that they have a pretty good online system that tracks store inventory. So, when I have a small buy (usually a single volume of manga or an impulse purchase) I use the local store quite a bit. But, they have some weird business practices that I have to wonder about. For instance, suppose I want to go buy 2 titles in the local store. I go to their website, see if they're in stock locally. I see the online price (usually comparable to Amazon), but even if I buy the titles online to pick up in store, I might end up paying full retail price (and hence decide to just buy on Amazon, particularly if I'm over the free shipping cutoff). Now of course, if BN starts letting you pick up in store for Amazon prices, then they'll go broke very quickly. But, it seems like there has to be some middle ground where they can entice people to into the stores (to buy more than one item!). Maybe something like where if you order and pay online and pick up in store, you get their online price plus some nominal "picking fee" (maybe a flat fee of $4 or $5 plus $1 per item). For one-item buys, it'll make no difference, but for orders with multiple items, it might be just enough to get customers in the store with a little bit of a profit still in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4