• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CW Head: Network Is Not Planning to Remake Battle Royale

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quite sad when real life events or similar works stop something seeing the light of day.
I thought the concept would have worked well if they would have kept the gore and violence levels to something similar of Spartacus.
Never mind...
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
DAMN IT!! I was actually looking forward to what they might do in a Battle Royale TV series...
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I read that as Cartoon Network and was extremely confused.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, we already have a American version of Battle Royale, it's called the Hunger Game, and no we don't need an American remake of Battle Royale, because I don't want people who watch the Hunger Game and not aware of Battle Royale to called the Battle Royale remake a rip-off of The Hunger Game. Also I don't want the remake to make the The Hunger Game/Battle Royale flame war to get worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prabb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The unfortunately named Mike Pedowitz...
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
prabb wrote:
The unfortunately named Mike Pedowitz...

Marc Pedowitz, but I agree Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTaKDnSIb4c

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
I would only want a HBO version with version done closer to the book and using Japanese actors. That would be epic Smile
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
It's a tragic state of affairs within my country that I love so much when I've come to the realization that there will never be a "right time" for this kind of production, because we are so constantly seeing violence amongst and against children. Some people have experienced disappointment towards the production being shut down before it even had a chance, but our real disappointment should be aimed at our violent society...
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I would only want a HBO version with version done closer to the book and using Japanese actors. That would be epic Smile

Do you honestly believe that US would use Japanese actors?

I'm 100% certain that they would've change it to an American class instead of a Japanese one.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well, we already have a American version of Battle Royale, it's called the Hunger Game, and no we don't need an American remake of Battle Royale, because I don't want people who watch the Hunger Game and not aware of Battle Royale to called the Battle Royale remake a rip-off of The Hunger Game. Also I don't want the remake to make the The Hunger Game/Battle Royale flame war to get worse.

Hardly an American version now is it?
It uses the same context, pitting kids/teens against each other in a contest, but that's like saying any film that features people killing an alien or aliens, is a rip-off of the Alien franchise.
Obviously people would make comparisons if an American version of Battle Royale came to life, but maybe it would also educate all the teens out there that love The Hunger Games of where the author got her inspiration from rather than thinking it is some sort of amazing original premise.
Either way, with the poor state of affairs in the US with guns and murders of school kids, I hardly think there will ever be a right time for such a film to see the light of day.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Uh... Collins' inspiration was "Roman gladiators meet Survivor". She'd never even heard of BR until after Hunger Games had been published and the comparisons began. It's not like it's a new story or anything, it's just coincidence that two using similar age groups came out around the same time.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Hardly an American version now is it?
It uses the same context, pitting kids/teens against each other in a contest, but that's like saying any film that features people killing an alien or aliens, is a rip-off of the Alien franchise.
Obviously people would make comparisons if an American version of Battle Royale came to life, but maybe it would also educate all the teens out there that love The Hunger Games of where the author got her inspiration from rather than thinking it is some sort of amazing original premise.
Either way, with the poor state of affairs in the US with guns and murders of school kids, I hardly think there will ever be a right time for such a film to see the light of day.

I know The Hunger Games and Battle Royale are different in term of details and plot differences and character. But that doesn't mean all of The Hunger Game fans know of Battle Royale. It didn't stop anime fans and critics from comparing Inception to Paprika, I've already seen anime fans accusing Christopher Nolan of plagurizing Paprika when he made Inception because both involve dream despite differences in plot and characters between the 2 (and also Madhouse not putting a lawsuit against Nolan nor Warner Bros nor Japan didn't ban Inception from Japanese theater). Now I already seen anime fans accuse The Hunger Games of ripping off Battle Royale, and I don't want Hunger Game fans that are not aware of Battle Royale to attack the American remake of Battle Royale, stupidity and ignorance does exist on both sides. I prefer if Battle Royale remake didn't happen and I prefer it just left like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Yes but anime fans that love to attack American stuff that "copies off" Japanese idea are not going to pay attention to what you show. Also most anime fans are hypocritical like they'll attack American stuff that "copied" off Japanese idea, but not the opposite when Japan "copied" off American idea.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I don't think an America remake is what Battle Royale needs. Taking the characters and story out of their Japanese setting means you are loosing that cultural element that the whole book was about. Yes the book is about kids fighting each other but it's also about governmental issues that I feel don't translate one to one with American issues.

To wrap every thing up in a metaphor it would be like remaking Red Dawn but instead of setting it in the US you set it Britian, Spain, or even Japan. You might be able to retain the plot thread about human nature but you lose what the author was trying to say about government.

This is of course going of the idea of remaking the novel. The movie and manga dumped most of the "government is bad" plot anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3