• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's New Character Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote

If that doesn't turn out to be spoiler[Serah], I'll be totally shocked.

Last edited by ChibiGoku on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
sarroush

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Haha, agreed. 99% sure it's spoiler[Serah. ]
methaniel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Are they even trying to hide the possibility of Lumina bein a certain someone else...I mean at least cover her face, use a mask...
Oh well, we have yet to see how this new character will play its role
sillyriri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
On the off chance that it's not spoiler[Serah]... well, nice to see them recycling some of the plot from X-2 Razz
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:

Is that doesn't turn out to be spoiler[Serah], I'll be totally shocked.

Yeah if it's not her I call BS and lazy character design. Knowing SE it's a new character and they just recycled her character model and changed it slightly.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Huzzah! Completely un-original ATW!

Really, though, costumes that have practical use??? FFX-2 all over again.....

Time limit till the end of game/destruction?? LoZ: Majora's Mask and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter all over again.

Just like FFXIII-2, I'm not interested. But I'll be glad when they're done with it so they can finally move on. I'm sick of FF13... FF13 and FF8 are the only FF games I've not beaten... FF8 because of the characters; FF13 because of game-play. ... well and I didn't finish FFX-2 because I was sick of seeing the strip show.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Lumina looks like Sera. I had to cheat because I forgot her name. So are we on the way to making Lightning a god? Or will it later turn out that all FF's came from her womb?
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
So are we on the way to making Lightning a god? Or will it later turn out that all FF's came from her womb?

I'm personally inclined to lean toward #2.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
methaniel wrote:
Are they even trying to hide the possibility of Lumina bein a certain someone else...I mean at least cover her face, use a mask...

Probably intended to throw Lightning off.

I really like her design, good stuff.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Now if only the battle system was better
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

Time limit till the end of game/destruction?? LoZ: Majora's Mask and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter all over again.

Just like FFXIII-2, I'm not interested. But I'll be glad when they're done with it so they can finally move on. I'm sick of FF13... FF13 and FF8 are the only FF games I've not beaten... FF8 because of the characters; FF13 because of game-play. ... well and I didn't finish FFX-2 because I was sick of seeing the strip show.

The difference is it feels like the world actually is meant to end here, she just has to make sure the people all get to make it to the other side.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

Is there a problem reinnovating on a good design philosophy?

No, lots of games have time limits. Calm down there, buddy.

If you're not interested, don't post. Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
methaniel wrote:

I think it'd be more obvious if they wore a mask. Anytime you put a mask on someone it indicates you're trying to hide their identity, so the viewers starts guessing on who it could be because 'obviously they don't want us to know. It's how I called who that 'masked' person in Resident Evil 5 was as soon as they appeared, since there's no other reason to wear a mask unless you don't want the player/chareacters to know who it is. With this? Sure, it could be them, but putting a mask on her would just make it even more obvious.

Lady Multi wrote:

By this logic, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XIII should have been "ATB battle system? Final Fantasy IV/V/VI all over again..."
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to see how things go. Already preordered.

At least it's not like how Noel was kinda just stuck into XIII-2.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

Is there a problem reinnovating on a good design philosophy?

No, lots of games have time limits. Calm down there, buddy.

If you're not interested, don't post. Very Happy

Deal about varying opinions and forums. I can write a post on how much I hate it and why I think it's not good just as much as you can post about how much you like it.

FFX-2 did not sale well. Why would you want to re-use something that did not sale well for a sequel of a great selling game on a 3rd game of a game trilogy that the 2nd game has already sold HALF (little less than that actually) of what the 1st did. Continuing the trend of less-purchases??

Since the release of FFX-2 sales have dropped for FF games. It's peak was FFVII at over 10 million (possibly more since the PC re-release of it).

2009 PS3, 360 Final Fantasy XIII 6.71 million worldwide
2011 PS3, 360 Final Fantasy XIII-2 2.55 million worldwide
(give or take a bit due to last year; probably not much more, though, thanks to used copies).

So, guess what I'm expecting??? I'm expecting no more than 2 million copies of FF13-3 to sale. Why? Well, sales trends don't change.

They've tried the FF action game thing before and it's proof that it sucked when...(lemme of get DC:FF7's figures right quick....)

1.2 million.. yup, FF action game. Sold crappily.... Was glitched as crap, too, in the original Japanese version. Sad thing: Vincent is a popular character and FF7 is the highest selling FF game and its "sequel" was crap...

FFX: 8.05
FFX-2: 5.2 btw.... FFx-2 was the start of the drop; FF13 picked up a bit, but...yeah, I've already posted those figures.

Sooo, losing sales from X to X-2 and crappy sales on an action FF game = action based sequel to FFXIII bad idea.

And game mechanics versus a game ploy is different. Every JRPG has a battle system. FF has the ATB and Tales series have the Linear-whatever-it-is-for-that-game system. Course...haha, FF13 won't have the ATB system; it's an ACTION game... At least FFX-2 had the ATB system.

SOOO just like FFXIII-2, I, personally, will not be buying it. (: But, as a Final Fantasy fan, I'm just as privy and just as able to have an opinion of a game as you. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2