• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Creating In-House Department for Tv Movies & Mini-Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
Yea, that's a good point. If CN or AS wants to bring back the nostalgia of old animation, they should bring back things like the old X-Men or Spiderman cartoons or something. The whole Saved by the Bell thing just doesn't do it for me. I liked the show when they used to show it, but now... eh. Or hell, even bring back Swat Cats! I LOVED that show when when they used to show it back on the first incarnation of Toonami. Or... Centurions or something.... Wow, you don't realize how old you are until you start trying to remember stuff and realize that no one within a 10 mile radius would remember this stuff. LOL.

I would LOVE to see Centurions again. CN could show some of the OLDER X-Men cartoons, like Pryde of the X-Men. CN for about a week, a month ago aired the first 5 eps(Albeit out of order) of SWAT Kats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Its kinda a good thing disney has all of sabans live action shows power rangers,TMNTs and Cyber V and such,all CN can get is crap that will turn it into nike at nights dumb little brother if they dont handle it well......god WB is clueless they have one of the highest rateing blocks for 18-30 soemthign and do they care...NO...morons.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Lampbane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
VML wrote:

People only watch AS for its cartoons and anime, not crappy reruns.

But I thought people *were* watching it for Family Guy.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, I thought it was funny to discover, while venturing around through the TV channels, to see Dumb and Dumber on CN. I mean, they even kept the guns in. It was quite amusing.

However, who honestly even cares about Saved by the Bell nowadays? I never watched it when I was little and I can guarantee me and over half of the American population probably won't want to watch it again. It's done and over with. I mean, AS would get tons better ratings showing something like That 70's Show or something, y'know? (but that show's on like five different stations right now anyways)

Bah, no more pure cartoon channels makes me sad inside... and probably a ton of other kids as well. Oh well, don't watch TV much nowadays unless it's the Simpsons, 70's Show, or Family Guy. I get bored too easily, that and the internet has claimed my life. D:
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I can stand acouple British detecive dramas on PBS,acouple News shows,crime dramas altho the last 2 CSI suck I like the frist one can stand miami and like navi CIS,I like law and order even tho the enw eps feel like reruns,theres nothign else on TV I can stand bascily 90% of TV I hate and all the stuff I liek gets removed becuse it makes you think...why I have clung to fan subs TV has gone to hell *L*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I just love the people who say, "Well, if you don't like the live-action stuff, then don't watch it." Obviously I don't have to watch it.

But on a cable channel called CARTOON NETWORK, I expect to find cartoons. Only cartoons. Otherwise it can't call itself "Cartoon Network". That's like Food Network airing Godzilla movies or the Weather Channel having programming that doesn't tell you the--- okay, so bad example with the Weather Channel. My point is, Cartoon Network is about cartoons. I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to air shows like Saved By The Bell or movies like Honey, I Shrunk The Kids - but not on Cartoon Network. Turner has plenty of other stations to stick that type of programming on. All of which a person who gets CN will probably also have as part of their cable lineup. CN is for cartoons.

Barring any Banana Splits rerun revivals, mind you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind Honey I Shrunk The Kids because it does actually have animation in the opening credits, and the ant & scorpion where done with claymation. I still can't figure out why The Goonies and dumb and dumber aired though on CN. At least Batman and Spider-Man are based off of animated comics. Can anyone see Lord of the Rings on CN the way things are going right now?
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan
heres a dumb idea why not run kenshin,trigun or any anime proprty in that tiem slot why must it be a cheap crapy live action flim..oh wait I just answered it..its cheap and it fills time..go forbid they do soemthing productive and run the inu yahsa movies or anything thats chep and animated,I mean realy they should have alot of unused animated movies and dead TV cartoons why not show them....mabye it takes more effort to licnes it and get it and such uhg ><
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
naeblis wrote:
Isn't it us? the 18-30 odd year olds? Why would AS need to do this to compete with the likes of Nick or even Nick at Nite?

My answer would be for the same reason that they greenlit 12 Oz Mouse, Squidbillies, and Minoriteam...

...except I still haven't figured out that reason yet.

My interpretation on what happens at Williams Street when they greenlight such stupid endevours.
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun
you can say the same for the goverment,look at all the well thought out video game banning laws they have been going down in flames lately....oy vay
naeblis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
LOL. If LOTR does at one point air on AS, expect to see those dumb commercials that TBS ( sorry, can't remember exactly which station) is airing with the whole gay music montage thing. Anyways, yea, I used to watch the original CN when they were still showing awesome action shows like Swat Kats. Now they split off that section of cartoons with blocks like Miguzi (does anyone at watch that?) and Toonami (which I like much better but it only shows ONCE a week). Hell, if they showed re-runs of Justice Leage, I'd watch CN more. In any case, they have way more options than showing movies totally unrelated to animation. I know they're a business, but the whole "cartoon only" thing was supposed to be their trade mark. It feels kinda weird that they'd show anything that was hand drawn or animated.
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
I agree. I don't hate live action, but I go to other channels to watch it. Monk, or Law & Order, or Lost or something.

I come to Cartoon Network to watch Cartoons. Cartoons are great because they offer a medium where the potential is limited only by the imagination; you don't have to worry about hissy actors refusing to do certain things, or even the law of physics. You can do almost anything you want; there's a reason there's probably a lot more sci-fi cartoons than live action ones.

Seriously that's the same thing that bothers me. Actually I was bothered by Batman, and I actually love the movie. Who framed Rodger Rabbit? was cool, but only because the movie is great and has cartoons in it.

They are going to find themselves loosing their older demographic on this. I can stand to watch some of the original shows for kids (with the exception of Ed Ed and Eddy), even liking some, but I've watched an extremely decreasing amount of Nick and Disney. Infact I can really only stomac Disney's cartoons and normal movies (not original), and The Older Nicktoons reruns (plus Rugrats:All Grown Up).

RyoShin wrote:

I can understand Cartoon Network trying to bolster its ratings (uh, isn't AS and Toonami the biggest rating earners of their time for their targeted ranges?), but it should be done in a different fashion. If you're going to start incoporating live action shows, then change the freaking name. Cartoon Network DOESN'T HAVE NOT CARTOONS. Call it some other goofy name, but don't you dare tell me that it's Cartoons when I'm clearly seeing live action.

At least Comcast had the courtesy to remove the glorious TechTV moniker from the crap fest that is G4.

Yeah, this is also true. G4 is crap! They also let their Anime unleashed thing go down the whole with no new programs and showing their old shows out of order.

RyoShin wrote:

As for the Saved By the Bell thing- that's just horribly stupid. If you wanted people to watch TV for nostalgia, bring back Sonic the Hedgehog, Doug, or some other Saturday morning cartoon show. Don't give us freaking Saved By the Bell, a mid-rated early 90s 'tween sitcom.

I should just stick to the AS Fix. What's the point in staying up to wait through crap I don't want to watch?

Also yeah, not for adult swim to put Sonic, Doug, and stuff but they could use that instead. Save By the Bell is stupid, it was stupid even when I was a little kid. They seriously need to not have that on, It's only tolerable at 5am.
emory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
Well, I'm sure that there are other old, old, very old school shows that they could show. I'm sure Marvel has a whole bunch When I mean old school, I do not mean Chuck Norris's karate show. (shivers...) But there are other ways of getting that nostalgia. Which reminds me, what exactly IS AS's targeted demographic? Isn't it us? the 18-30 odd year olds? Why would AS need to do this to compete with the likes of Nick or even Nick at Nite?

Nick at Nite is the NUMBER ONE NETWORK WITH ADULTS. People like old crap, even if they watch it over and over and over and over.
verdatum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd go one step further to say that when CN first went on the air, it explicitly pledged to run only cartoons, all the time. Can't help but feel a bit betrayed now.

I'm still rather hoping the saved by the bell thing is a joke. If it isn't, I can only hope ratings will plumet for that block.

Oh well, I watch too much TV anyway. now the live-action blocks of CN is just one less thing for me to watch.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Zippydsm wrote:
XtremeAnimeDan
heres a dumb idea why not run kenshin,trigun or any anime proprty in that tiem slot why must it be a cheap crapy live action flim..oh wait I just answered it..its cheap and it fills time..go forbid they do soemthing productive and run the inu yahsa movies or anything thats chep and animated,I mean realy they should have alot of unused animated movies and dead TV cartoons why not show them....mabye it takes more effort to licnes it and get it and such uhg ><

Dude....properly spelled and punctuated sentences are your friends. USE THEM.

The whole idea here is beyond retarded. Cartoon Network is supposed to be just that...a network for cartoons. They can show all the live action programs that they want, but their core audience won't watch them, because they watch that show to watch cartoons. Sure, the ratings in total might not take a hit, but they lose the dedicated fans, and then they're stuck grasping for straws to keep whatever fans they can.

The same thing happened to MTV. I am the very definition of what should be an MTV viewer. I am obsessed with music. My day is basically divided into two portions: time I'm listening or thinking about music, and time I'm sleeping. I watched MTV obsessively....until they stopped showing videos. But then they started MTV2! Still all videos! And I watched it all the time! And....then they stopped showing videos. Now, not only do I not watch MTV or MTV2, I don't EVER bother to even look at what they're showing. They have gone from having me as a regular viewer to a casual viewer to a complete non-viewer, and while their core audience has evaporated they desperately grasp at straws for something that will appeal to a new audience. Sometimes they succeed (Laguna Beach), sometimes they fail (Andy Milonakis...I've never even seen his show, but I've never spoken to a single person that likes it), but they will never reach the demographic of "I like music, so I'll watch MUSIC television!" ever again.

If Cartoon Network starts stuffing their programming with live action tripe like Saved By the Bell, they'll be facing the same damn problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4