• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Giant-Size Supernerds No. 1 In Mint Condition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Before I finish the podcast, I must say, the use of the Star Trek The (Non)Animated Series opening was great. Anime hyper
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Before I finish listening, based on last week's comments, I just want to say I'm really grateful that Justin's putting in the time for his new column and think it's a really great idea.

I really liked "buried treasure" and part of the whole idea was stuff we might not know about; and frankly, anything over 10 years old that wasn't a mega-hit runs the risk of being forgotten.

What I think is kind of interesting is...after the crash of 1990 in Japan, they didn't have as much money for experimental OVA's and such. So ironically....sometimes you find obscure titles from the 1980's, which in contrast, have really experimental arthouse ideas, and the artwork can still be quite beautiful (think like Galaxy Express 999 - it's not some CGI fest, but as a "motion-comic manga" that artistry is still very beautiful).
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Penguindrum:

Well, crap. I've been debating returning my part 1 release and waiting for a complete collection, and this gives me more reason to do so. (Mainly due to shelf space... not that one extra BD case takes up a whole lot of room, but doing it for multiple series starts adding up. Unless if the series I want comes with nice extras, such as Funi's boxes, I prefer waiting for a complete collection). Neutral The only reason I haven't is because I want to support bringing over such series to America, but gosh darnit.

The "sorta dubtitles" is really disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Durga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Glad the discussion led to the licensing of old titles, since I had a similar question that never got brought up.

It's a shame that the market for really old anime is as niche as it is, but the recent acquisitions of Space Adventure Cobra and Rose of Versailles have restored my faith in the market being big enough for titles such as those. I'd certainly love to see Dear Brother get licensed, but I imagine that'll be based on how well Rose of Versailles sells. Dear Brother could sell itself if the American market decides they'd like more from the creators of that show.

Last edited by Durga on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Older anime that have connections to newer and popular series will have a good chance. Rose of Versailles is popular because of Utena, not also not limited to being the prime example of preeminent shoujo manga being more than sappy stupid girls in love. Cobra is well know enough due to all of its recent iterations and rerelease of the film. Good luck trying to get Tokimeki Tonight, Hikari no Densetsu, or Ai Shite Night licensed on their own merits. Never mind grabbing up unknown mecha Danguard Ace, Zambot, Daitarn, Dougram, Layzner, Galient, Mellowlink, Dancougah or Dragonar. The best you could sell those are on their directors. And those are the mecha more worth licensing than even lower budget and dumber 70s super robot shows. There's still a few easy pickens out there, Future Boy Conan has the obvious and lucrative Miyazaki name attached, so that's a sure bet. VOTOMS, often one of the highest praised real robot series by those who've seen more than Gundam Wing, should be up for a relicense, along with all of its OVAs. Legend of the Galactic Heroes can only gain popularity, and is primed for some action even if it's a small start like grabbing one of the introductory films.

Maison Ikkoku has the Takahashi connection. Kimagure Orange Road is popular enough among people into older anime, and is likely the most influential anime series on romance along with Urusei Yatsura. So there's still tons of room to go with older anime series, but eventually there will be a line for what's known and what can sell.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Downloading the episode right now. Looking forward to hearing what Daryl thinks of the Mass Effect movie. Personally i though the story was satisfactory but the animation and moreso the character designs let it down bigtime. The creature designs, the music and the ending where the best thing about the movie. Wink
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
So Sentai is possibly trying to build a library of titles for amazon, netflix, etc. Well that explains why they seemed to be trying to license the universe. But the consequence of putting out so much product might be less than spectacular dubbing and sub work. Great <sigh>.

A shame about Penguindrum dub. I've heard various things, some people detest it and others feel that it gets better and grows on you. What I remember from seeing the show when it aired was that it was the type of show that one needed to take care with how they handled the script. Its not like High School of the Dead where you can play loose and fast with. As far as the show itself I remember enjoying roughly the 1st half of the show, except for one brother's spoiler[creepy obsession with his sister] (in typical anime/manga fashion they explain that away), but the second half turned into a real slough for me to get thru. I was hopping that maybe I just was tired at the time or wasn't getting it and NA release with a dub might be more enjoyable. After what Zac said and a few other comments I've read though I'm real hesitant about giving it a second chance.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice "advertisement" for the Golden AniVersary, Daryl. I got 2004, & I'll be getting into watching the shows I have on my list of "shows to watch" soon, likely after I'm done looking at the first episodes of 30 different Jump animes this month.

When Mike brought up Firestorm I was kind of happy to know that Zac & Justin knew nothing of it, while I remember considering downloading the fansubs that were done for the first five episodes a few times years back (like 2005 or so). From what I remember, though, general word on Firestorm is that it sucks, but considering how Gerry Anderson wanted out of the production I'm not surprised by it sucking now.

If you guys want to thank someone for Patlabor, then thank Matt Greenfield, because Maiden Japan is his baby, through & through. Even though it's technically labeled the "anime division of Switchblade Pictures", it's not an exploitation brand in any way but rather only licenses anime that have female lead characters. Luckily for Patlabor it stars a female. And, Justin, be happy:

Maiden Japan got actual artwork. (Sorry for the big picture, but I felt it was an appropriate use)

If an "objective review" is simply saying "It's animated", does that makes everything like Bebe's Kids? Remember what the trailer for Bebe's Kids said: "Bebe's Kids... It's Animation". My question never got asked, but they essentially covered it when they all got into how it's a good time to be a fan of old-school anime.

Quote:
Never mind grabbing up unknown mecha (like) Dancougah.

Well, Dancougar, at the very least, does have pre-exisitng official English subs by way of CPM's old VHS release from the 90s, and God Bless Dancougar has subs by way of Western Connection's UK VHS release (though the quality might not be all too great, considering it's WC). If anything, that gives Dancougar a better chance at getting over here again than most of those first-timers.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Well, Dancougar, at the very least, does have pre-exisitng official English subs by way of CPM's old VHS release from the 90s, and God Bless Dancougar has subs by way of Western Connection's UK VHS release (though the quality might not be all too great, considering it's WC). If anything, that gives Dancougar a better chance at getting over here again than most of those first-timers.

You do bring another interesting facet of the anime industry I don't see being done today. There are tons of old titles that either came out on VHS once or single layer DVD briefly a decade ago, and those are worth investing rereleases in, they're more known than something that's never been touched before. Specifically, I'm thinking of Rightstuf's Genmu Senki Leda and Pioneer's Green Legend Ran. Actually, anything that ran on Sci-Fi back in the day is worth looking into, as they're retained in the collective memory of older anime fans, the ones who are keeping Discotek alive and strong. If we can't exactly get a "50 Anime OVAs" boxset like sci-fi and horror B movies do, keeping them in circulation for cheap prices is a close second, or possibly copying ADV's doubles pack of somewhat related titles. Trying to sell 30-40 minute single-episode OVAs individually seems like a chore.

In response to anime's Golden Anniversary, 1980s a pretty good year. You got Ideon, the second half of Gundam 0079, To Terra, and Firebird 2772, just of a few examples. Like I was mentioning in all of my opinion posts on a possible pre-1980s ANNcast episode, things don't really ramp up until 77 and on, and real sophistication in art, design, and animation doesn't enter until the 80s. An anime film from the late 70s looks goofier than one from the early 80s. Even in just comparing Matsumoto films, Queen Millennia and Arcadia of My Youth blow Galaxy Express 79 and Farewell Yamato away.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
These Supernerds shows are so great!

I am really disappointed about the Penguindrum release. I will still buy it once the second set is out because I have been eagerly anticipating it, but those subtitles make me sad.

There is so much new merchandise along with the Sailor Moon manga rerelease, it seems like people would love to spend their money on more Sailor Moon. I certainly would.

I also hope Rose of Versailles leads to Dear Brother DVDs. I already preordered Rose of Versailles. The licensing of older shows lately is great. I really wanted the Patlabor OVA, and now I can afford it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Spelunker was made in America, its just apparently really popular in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelunker_(video_game)

I would want to be at that launch party

BVUSA: We usher in a new boom period with Super Robot Wars OG: The Animation! Wait a minute what do you mean the GBA games sold about a thousand copies here.

The final disc of Divine Wars cost over 100 dollars? It would only cost about 40 if this wasnt in it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89U20jHAXqE

and yeah I could only find that instead of a normal clip. The only clips you can fine of Divine Wars are stuff like the battle with Bian, Levi, Rampage Ghost, and the part were Breakout plays. Also that scene were Ingram drinks Kushua's drink and Latooni being in that goth loli outfit.

Though I will say the final attack in Divine Wars is really cool (not as awesome as the Inspectors ending but still pretty awesome).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

When Mike brought up Firestorm I was kind of happy to know that Zac & Justin knew nothing of it

I'd ask why but you seem to take bizarre delight in knowing about shows that we haven't heard of. I can't pretend to understand that, but I'm happy we brought you a moment of joy, I guess?
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm so tired of the damm complaints on Twitter over the Penguindrum. Mad I'm just gonna wait for the complete collection, just as with Persona 4 anime. But I will buy Gunbuster 2 and Patlabor BD.

Justin, Still Walking is no longer on Netlfix, but I Wish and Nobody Knows are still there.

Mike, Aikawa wrote the Eureka Seven sequel from last year.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Just thinking of some of the old anime OVAs, films, and series I've seen, Justin could have done a Buried Treasure/Garbage column every week and never run out of material for years. I guess it depends on how much he has to say about each. Some works require a few thousand words, others you could easily cover in 500.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

When Mike brought up Firestorm I was kind of happy to know that Zac & Justin knew nothing of it

I'd ask why but you seem to take bizarre delight in knowing about shows that we haven't heard of. I can't pretend to understand that, but I'm happy we brought you a moment of joy, I guess?

Nah, just some weird sense of karmic payback from the time I was on a call-out show and you & Justin essentially gave the idea that there wasn't any show I could name that you two hadn't heard of. Granted, I wouldn't ever bring up Firestorm in any conversation, but it was interesting to see a blind-spot in the knowledge you two do have. Like I said, I only know of the show by seeing the name a couple of times years back, and since I like to look up info on stuff I found out it was related to Gerry Anderson.

It just seemed funny to me to see you two at a loss of words, that's all. "Delight"? No. Amusement? Yeah, sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4