• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
What is up with Oreimo though? Are they treating that as an import? cause it sure feels like it at that price point.

It's a direct import from Japan. Pricing wise, you are better off ordering the set directly from the likes of Amazon Japan and HMV.

I wonder if JP retailers are going to update their listings to reflect that the boxset does have English subtitles on them or not. Or it could be a pleasant surprise for people who actually import the JP version from Japan.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but just what is with all the nerdgasms over commentary tracks by Japanese voice actors? I could understand if it was a commentary by the original creator or the director (like I have on several old CPM releases, none of which cost anything like what AoA is charging), but are Japanese voice actors really any more interesting than their English counterparts? I say this after listening to parts of some commentaries I have on shows I own-like No. 6, where by some magic Sentai Filmworks was able to include Japanese voice actor commentary for every episode without raising the list price one cent over the usual amount (I paid under $30 for my BD copy). NISA also included Japanese VA commentaries for most of the episodes of season 1 of Arakawa Under the Bridge and the first 4 episodes of season 2, and I got both seasons for about half of what AoA wants for Bakemonogatari. If I'm going to pay extra for something I may never listen to I'd rather it be an English dub.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but just what is with all the nerdgasms over commentary tracks by Japanese voice actors? I could understand if it was a commentary by the original creator or the director...

I can agree with that sentiment. When I saw that Oreimo would be available on Blu-ray in the US, I did the quick "okay, what would you be willing to pay to double-dip for the Blu-ray" calculation before looking at the retail price. The conclusion was that if the price point was about the same as Madoka's regular edition, then I'd go for it. Unfortunately, there's no way I could justify dropping $280 for a double-dip. Oh, well.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but just what is with all the nerdgasms over commentary tracks by Japanese voice actors?

Well, in general, it's fun to listen to the voice actors makes comments on the show they voiced.

But, for something like Bakemonogatari or OreImo, the character commentary are scripted and written by the original author of the light novels. That's a little more special since it's not just ramblings of a voice actor.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
@ superdry - that was my understanding, too. So it's not just a seiyuu speaking as him or herself, it's like the seiyuu who voiced Kirino commenting on the show as if she really is Kirino, right? I haven't yet actually seen once of these character commentaries before.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
@OldCharlieStoletheHandle

It's not the price it is because of the extra content, its because its an import. I'm guessing for OreImo its more profitable to ship a couple hundred Japanese copies to the states than do it in-house. I myself did not expect this but I'll take it (just not at RightStufs price).
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
In order to help protect a certain business, I've gone and cleaned up the thread. Let's just keep this as our little secret, eh?

I missed a few days here. Would someone be so kind as to PM me on what I missed since my last post seems to have been deleted for no reason that I can see?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
That's the trouble with Tony K. Scissorhands. Unlike other mods who try to be surgical, he just slashes everything.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
It wouldn't be a secret if we started talking about it again Wink And I'd have gone the scorched earth method and just deleted the whole thread. Heck, wiping the entire forum just to be safe would probably have been the best method.
crazydom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
@OldCharlieStoletheHandle

I actually don't care about them in most things. I've seen Oreimo's and honestly don't think they're that great at all.

However, I love Nisio's dialogue, it's the main reason I love Monogatari, and I found the Bake characters commenting on what was going on on-screen to be hilarious in the Bake set.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ superdry - that was my understanding, too. So it's not just a seiyuu speaking as him or herself, it's like the seiyuu who voiced Kirino commenting on the show as if she really is Kirino, right? I haven't yet actually seen once of these character commentaries before.

Yup! It's all done in-character which leads to some fun moments like Kirino interviewing her own seiyuu (she's talking to herself!) for example.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Also, the OreImo commentaries are not what people typically talk about with commentaries. Normally, a commentary is an additional audio track while the normal episode plays. That's what Bakemonogatari's is, except its scripted and all of the seiyuu are in-character, which is why people were so excited about those.

However, OreImo's "commentaries" are *video* extras. You have little chibi version of the characters on-screen with a TV in the background. Each one is about 10-12 minutes long, so they aren't actually watching the entire episode. In fact, they're only actually playing the episode maybe about a 1/3 of the time.

In some ways, it may be worth thinking of the BD set as a 2 cour show, since there are the 12 TV episodes, the 4 "OVA" episodes and then the commentaries come out to 8 episodes of runtime, for a total of 24 episodes worth of viewing material.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
@HitokiriShadow - thanks for that clarification. Both types sound pretty cool to me.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari's commentary track is so god like. Also, you find out more info about the characters too. like Tsubasa Hanekawa likes spoiler[Kimblely from FMA] lol

no translation commentary fro nisemonogatari is a let down. what's wrong aniplex?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
The Bakemonogatari character commentaries are great and pretty much what made be buy the set. It's sad to hear that they won't be included on Nisemonogatari, or at least they are not solicited as being included atm. I hope someone can clarify this at an Aniplex panel or something as I would really like them to be included, even if not subtitled. For the time being, I'm slightly on the fence about Nisemonogatari. I might get it to just to have a complete set but it would definitely be disappointing if the character commentaries aren't included. Instant pre-order if AoA announces that they're included.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 70 of 108