• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I'm really sad Vertical can't get Vinland Saga. That is my #1 manga that I want to own right now and Vertical would be the #1 company I would want to do it.

We wanted to do a hardcover omnibus edition with color plates and maps. But alas, after Kodansha's rights department said yes, one of their execs shot us down.

So yeah, too good for us apparently.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
In any case, I'm just glad Princess Jellyfish might have a chance. It's the title I want most right now, but most of the other series mentioned sound pretty good as well. Whatever series is/are chosen, I'll probably be pretty happy with it.
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Not very likely, since we are not very interested in it. We had high hopes but ran out of patience with it.

I haven't read any of it, but I looked it up, and it seems that multiple scan groups have dropped it. It's too bad that it doesn't seem to be very good.

Huh. I remember reading it a while ago for several chapters and thinking it was really good. It must've had an enormous drop in quality.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I understand this thread has been hibernating for a few months now... but if it is cool with the mods, I'd like to inform the manga readers here that we are taking requests again at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2T3BGM8

I should be able to post updates about the licensing suggestions (IE: which ones are getting sent in the most by next week).

As always...
no Shogakukan (Viz)
no Shueisha (Viz)
no Akita Shoten (politics)
no "classical" works (IE titles before 2000 because we aren't doing these unless they are Tezuka titles)
no rescues (just not really interested)
and
please do not suggest titles with more than 12 volumes (we generally cannot afford licenses for titles that long).

Happy hunting and Stay Vertical!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
are bandai still squatting on nichijou? thats a series id grab if it were available
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I just listed off a bunch of Josei. More Moyoco Anno please, or anything at all like her!

I wish Setona Mizushiro wasn't Shueisha . Viz will NEVER print her stuff, yet Nounai Poison Berry is a fantastic bit of Josei I would love to get my hands on an English edition of.

And I adore you guys for Lychee Light Club.

Still holding out hope of someday seeing Princess Jellyfish.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm hopeful for more Kyoko Okazaki, but that depends on how well Helter Skelter does. But more josei in general is awesome.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I wish Setona Mizushiro wasn't Shueisha . Viz will NEVER print her stuff, yet Nounai Poison Berry is a fantastic bit of Josei I would love to get my hands on an English edition of.

Isn't Black Rose Alice published by someone else? It's not my favorite of her series (so sick of vampires), but hey, any port in a storm!
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
Answered. Would you consider putting out Keiko Suenobu's new series at some point? I didn't put it in the survey as it's not even started in Japan yet.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Isn't Black Rose Alice published by someone else? It's not my favorite of her series (so sick of vampires), but hey, any port in a storm!

I'm not familiar with that title, and can't find if anyone has released it here, but even so I too would probably stay away from it because of the vampires.

... then again I liked Nounai Poison Berry so much I'll probably give it and her other titles a try at some point. It was so nice to see I'm not the only woman out there who feels like she has split personalities arguing over choices in her head, made me laugh my butt off, and I very much liked her art.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Black Rose/Kuro Bara Alice is from Akita Shoten, so it's another one Vertical can't touch. Sad, sad...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Are Kadokawa light novels off limits?

I would love to read Ryohgo Narita's stuff. Also Story of Saiunkoku by Sai Yukino.

I noticed you were asking about light novels in your survey, and these are ones I've been dying to read for a long time. ebook would be ideal for light novels, IMO.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I can safety guess that Hakusensha are off the list since they are under the Hitotsubashi Group umbrella (where both Shogakukan and Shueisha reside). I would have loved to read the Natsume Book of Friends LN in English but I don't think Viz Media has licensed any Light Novels.

I also presume Kodansha are also off-limits since they have their own American division.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I can safety guess that Hakusensha are off the list since they are under the Hitotsubashi Group umbrella (where both Shogakukan and Shueisha reside). I would have loved to read the Natsume Book of Friends LN in English but I don't think Viz Media has licensed any Light Novels.

I don't think there are any light novels for Natsume. If there are, then they are adapted from the manga, which is the original source material

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I also presume Kodansha are also off-limits since they have their own American division.

Well, they are not on Ed's list above, so I think they might be okay.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Ed has said that Hakusensha is possible. And Kodasha should be okay too (see Chi's Sweet Home, GTO, Limit, Flowers of Evil, Sakuran, Drops of God...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 24