• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation April 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

So that's the Bingo chart I heard about in the Aniplex Solicitations thread.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't know about it myself till a couple days ago. And as long as I've been on theses forums, I'm glad I discovered it 'cause I've heard or run into every single one of those instances at some point or another. Thank you, willag.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ At least in not the one throwing an increasingly irrational hissyfit over a piece of cardboard, now am I? Rolling Eyes

Can I just say something? Okay, here it goes: You're kind of a jerk, aren't you? If packaging was as irrelevant as your train of thought leads you to believe, then it was completely moot to begin with, right? It was completely useless for them to provide appealing packaging to begin with, right? Because, goodness knows, video game companies aren't pouring hundreds of millions of dollars in special editions just so one lonely individual can say "they're just pieces of cardboard", right?

You're under the assumption of "since I'm not complaining about anything, by default I'm right." If people didn't have a point to prove, they wouldn't be complaining now would they?

These are the facts: Funimation's current packaging standards are shit. We'd like for them to improve. You don't think it's worth getting bothered over? Good for you. I don't see your "cool under pressure" attitude changing a thing - neither Funimation's packaging, or the fact that it's ticking people off. If anything, it just adds a third layer of aggravating others. If anything, one could even blame you as part of the problem. You're too busy caring about not caring that it might lead some people on the wrong road...

Now, your "hipster attitude" is my first theory. My second theory as to why you're even arguing with Tony when you clearly don't have an argument, is that you're trying to resolve some past pissing match with Tony.

[EDIT: Had to do my job. -TK]

Last edited by PrecisionCrab on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Just for the record, I don't recall any notable run-ins with the guy. I just see him get reported a lot.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
lem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ At least in not the one throwing an increasingly irrational hissyfit over a piece of cardboard, now am I? Rolling Eyes

Can I just say something? Okay, here it goes: You're kind of a jerk, aren't you? If packaging was as irrelevant as your train of thought leads you to believe, then it was completely moot to begin with, right? It was completely useless for them to provide appealing packaging to begin with, right? Because, goodness knows, video game companies aren't pouring hundreds of millions of dollars in special editions just so one lonely individual can say "they're just pieces of cardboard", right?

funny thing is he himself posted a video on youtube for the PS&G blu-ray. Where he basically does everything but go "Mysterious Girlfriend" on it. So I'm not really finding any credibility in his "it's just a piece of cardboard" take on all of this. It seems to be perfectly ok for him to like something, but for everyone else? not so much.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
funny thing is he himself posted a video on youtube for the PS&G blu-ray. Where he basically does everything but go "Mysterious Girlfriend" on it. So I'm not really finding any credibility in his "it's just a piece of cardboard" take on all of this. It seems to be perfectly ok for him to like something, but for everyone else? not so much.

Like I said earlier, I like fancy artboxes. If there's a limited edition available and the cost is right, I usually spring for it. I'm just not the kind who gets upset when there's not one available or if it's not the same size as all the other sets I have on my shelf.

I've had my fair share of gripes with FUNi's packaging myself, sure, such as them using the recycled DVD cases with the holes in the back, or the book-style packaging they used on the Slayer's season 1-3 set. But with me, those things are mainly just nitpicks. Mostly I'm just glad to own the show itself, so I'm fine with putting up with the packaging.

The only time that I ever double-dipped on a show to replace the packaging was with Moribito, because the set that I had was a spindle case (which I loathe) and the jewelcase set w/artbox was on sale for cheap on RightStuf.

I don't care if people like nice packaging. I like it myself. At the same time, however, I don't see why everyone gets so bent out of shape over it either.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
funny thing is he himself [SpacemanHardy] posted a video on youtube for the PS&G blu-ray. Where he basically does everything but go "Mysterious Girlfriend" on it.

I'm embarrassed to say it took me a second or two to understand the "Mysterious Girlfriend" reference, but as soon as I did, I Laughing
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Sentai's packaging is consistent, it's always mediocre. Since they're not worried about artboxes, and slipcases, and BD or DVD size, they make it look so easy. Long live stackpacks! But seriously, do you guys prefer consistent mediocity, or something a bit more special.

At least FUNimation is trying. Unfortunately, as a result of them actually caring, mistakes have been made. And as they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time. It's an ongoing process, with them finally(I hope) adopting standard BD size for anythng that includes blu-rays, this should end fairly quickly.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Me personally? If you can't deliver consistent fancy packaging, then just stick to consistent mediocrity.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
I actually don't mind Funimation's packaging as of late. The Darker than Black and Rideback boxes (and Spice and Wolf for that matter) will forever bug the shit out of me though. As for Hellsing, I just hope if and when they ever license episodes 9 & 10, they release episode 9 with an artbox and then release episode 10 later on. It will be weird having one artbox with 8 episodes and one with 2, but at least the artboxes would be consistent and look nice together. :/
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I actually don't mind Funimation's packaging as of late. The Darker than Black and Rideback boxes (and Spice and Wolf for that matter) will forever bug the shit out of me though. As for Hellsing, I just hope if and when they ever license episodes 9 & 10, they release episode 9 with an artbox and then release episode 10 later on. It will be weird having one artbox with 8 episodes and one with 2, but at least the artboxes would be consistent and look nice together. :/

Personally, I'd like to see them put out a double-thick bluray sized box, with one case holding the DVD and BD for episodes 9 and 10, and the other case holding the special features.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
But seriously, do you guys prefer consistent mediocity, or something a bit more special.

Special editions because they really haven't been that much of a problem till recently. Never had a problem with ADV, Bandai, Geneon/Pioneer, Media Blasters, or even FUNi till the combo thing came up. We'll just have to see how the next year goes.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
That depends on whether they'll ever get around to releasing Roberta's Bloodtrail or Hellsing IX-X this year, since they have the most question marks hovering above them in terms of packaging.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with this being a problem is that my DVDs aren't the same size anyway. The only standard height is the basic single amaray case and that doesn't make sense for multi disk series anyway.

{looks at shelf}
Except for the singles. Those hated, hated singles...

{looks at shelf again}
As long as they're not in an art box. Those awful, awful artboxes...

And thinpacks, I hate those too.

Honestly, I just find this complaint funny, mostly because I still have Warner DVDs done in their original "hey, we know how DVDs should be stored" cardboard/plastic cases. What kept them closed? Not much, not for long.

And the very much rightfully hated stackpacks. Imagine a combo set done in a stackpack, now that would be a bad marketing decision.

The way I see it, this all goes back to the original point of DVDs and why they weren't sold in CD cases to begin with. "Because they have to look different."

No. No, they don't. And thanks to Funimation, I have DVDs in BD cases and BD in DVD cases, clearly breaking some sort of natural law as it forces me to read the case to see if it's BD or DVD. Otherwise, this whole issue is ... not an issue.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see them put out a double-thick bluray sized box, with one case holding the DVD and BD for episodes 9 and 10, and the other case holding the special features.

That would also work for me. I just hope we don't end up with a dvd sized boxset next to our bluray sized artbox Laughing .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8