• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Full Frontal Alchemy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
East Coast Rising is a barrel of fun; probobly my favorite OEL title from Tokyopop yet. Not only is it about pirates, but it's pirates post-apocalypse style. Like you said, Cloonan could have used a bit less ink (especically since her art is just as beautiful when it's simplistic), but over all a great romp.
I'm a bit curious about Rozen Maiden though. DearS almost made my eyes roll out of my skull, but it is from the same magazine as one of my all-time favorite series (not that that counts for much), and it actually sounds pretty solid from the review. Maybe I'll look into it...
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Why was the Japanese cover of FMA used for that part? Not bitching or anything, just curious.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
Why was the Japanese cover of FMA used for that part? Not bitching or anything, just curious.

At the time of writing, Viz's cover images for FMA 7 and D.Gray-man weren't online yet.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
DearS almost made my eyes roll out of my skull, but it is from the same magazine as one of my all-time favorite series (not that that counts for much), and it actually sounds pretty solid from the review. Maybe I'll look into it...

Just curious... what is it in Comics Birz you like so much? (one of my favorites runs there, too.)
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
why is there never ratings for the world manga of the month? just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
DearS almost made my eyes roll out of my skull, but it is from the same magazine as one of my all-time favorite series (not that that counts for much), and it actually sounds pretty solid from the review. Maybe I'll look into it...

Just curious... what is it in Comics Birz you like so much? (one of my favorites runs there, too.)

The Music of Marie. Really. really incredible, a rare example of true literature in manga IMHO. It actually finished its run a while ago and has been collected in two tanks. I'm actually pretty curious what kind of magazine it is. I'm assuming it targets more hardcore anime fans, but I could be wrong.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
why is there never ratings for the world manga of the month? just curious.

I think that segment is more of a "Hey, check this out. It's not a manga." type of thing.

As for the stuff that was graded, it certainly looked like the best stack of manga that's been reviewed since the column reopened.

Rozen Maiden does have its moments (wait for the other characters to show up for stuff to really happen) but it just seems to me like a deranged Zatch Bell clone (which is really saying something, considering Zatch Bell's kinda deranged to begin with).

So we have DearS which is bondage Chobits and Rozen Maiden which, to quote one blogger, is "GothLoli no Gash Bell". Will Peach Pit actually do something with an original basis or am I just old and jaded?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Will Peach Pit actually do something with an original basis or am I just old and jaded?

Peach-Pit are one of the most commercially-minded mangka out there right now. Everthing they do is solely designed to sell; there's very little 'artistic intent' there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I nearly spit my tea over my computer when I saw +Anima. For some unexplainable reason I thought "enema". Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

I'm a bit curious about Rozen Maiden though. DearS almost made my eyes roll out of my skull, but it is from the same magazine as one of my all-time favorite series (not that that counts for much), and it actually sounds pretty solid from the review. Maybe I'll look into it...

I haven't read the manga, but I have seen the first season of the anime. While it isn't great, it is decent and infinitely better than DearS, which (IMO) had very few redeeming qualities.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Two of which being Nia and Melon bread. Mmmmm, melons.

Zac wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Will Peach Pit actually do something with an original basis or am I just old and jaded?

Peach-Pit are one of the most commercially-minded mangka out there right now. Everthing they do is solely designed to sell; there's very little 'artistic intent' there.

Ah, so that's why I don't like them--they have no soul. Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Melon bread was one of the things I was thinking of. Who was Nia again? Was she the cat-girl DearS? She was funny.
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Rozen Maiden does have its moments (wait for the other characters to show up for stuff to really happen) but it just seems to me like a deranged Zatch Bell clone (which is really saying something, considering Zatch Bell's kinda deranged to begin with).

It also spawned a terrible, terrible meme. spoiler[DESU DESU DESU]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
Did someone say "desu?"

'Cause I think I heard someone say "desu!" Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
barbapapa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
Yet again, great reviews that coincidentally are very similar to my own tastes too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2